Thread: XP Antivirus 2012?

XP Antivirus 2012?

What is the best antivirus software (prefer free but) out there that will protect your system from this shit? Gave the wife a new computer last night (11:30 pm after updating everything) and this morning (5:30am) she clicked on an email that had it. She open the email to read without clicking on any attachments.
    Thanks,
    RogerLee
    First Join on Jan 20th 2000

Avast or AVG antivirus is what I recommend.

At this point wipe it clean and start over.

A new PC with XP?? Norton 360.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I recommend Norton Security Suite. I got the whole security package from my internet provider, for free. I have a few others in here, but that's the one that keeps showing what's going on. The one time I did land a virus, Norton froze everything and ran a major sweep and got rid of it. I didn't have to do anything. So far, that's the only one that's been able to do that, so it's a keeper for me.

Check out your internet provider's homepage and see what they recommend and have available. If you get it from them, it should be "free" as you're already paying for the service.

That email virus must be going around now. I sent an ecard (from a reputable provider and one I've been using for years) and when my friend opened it up, she got a virus. First time, ever, with that company, so it has to be something that's attaching itself to the emails.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Here's what I would do:

1. Download Malwarebytes.....there is a free version.
    2. Immediately update the database
    3. Run a full scan

If you actually do this would be good to know your results.
    There is a way Malware can be run in conjunction with another anti-virus program but first you need to run Malwarebytes.

War

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I recommend Norton Security Suite. I got the whole security package from my internet provider, for free.
    alismith, I'm not being argumentative but my experience with Norton is vastly different.

I would never run Norton as my antivirus but my cable provider, Cox Cable, also offered Norton free and used Norton to 'protect' email accounts. Despite Norton my Cox email account got infected and, as I had specified my primary email account as my back-up, that email account also became infected. Every contact in both email accounts was spammed several times and I gotta tell you I was hugely embarrassed as the spam showed as sent by me.

Wart(the-Not-A-Norton-Fan)hogg

Avira av, and superantispyware to get rid of malware.
    http://www.avira.com/
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    alismith, I'm not being argumentative but my experience with Norton is vastly different.

I would never run Norton as my antivirus but my cable provider, Cox Cable, also offered Norton free and used Norton to 'protect' email accounts. Despite Norton my Cox email account got infected and, as I had specified my primary email account as my back-up, that email account also became infected. Every contact in both email accounts was spammed several times and I gotta tell you I was hugely embarrassed as the spam showed as sent by me.

Wart(the-Not-A-Norton-Fan)hogg
    Yeah, I know people have had bad experiences wth Norton. I did, too, when I was with another ISP, but since I got cable internet, I decided to go with what they recommended and downloaded the full version. I'm guessing that Comcast (my ISP) uses it, too, before they let their cable subscribers use it, so it's kind of like a double dose of protection before I open anything.

However, I do have IObit Malware Fighter, and Super AntiSpyWare Professional running at same time. Each does it's thing in the background, but Norton is the only one that's ever shown me it's actively catching any viruses.

Not sure why it works here but doesn't work for you. I guess it's a lot like cars; some people like a certain model while others hate it. Glad you got something that works. It's a real bitch when what you have doesn't work...costly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerLee View Post
    What is the best antivirus software (prefer free but) out there that will protect your system from this shit? Gave the wife a new computer last night (11:30 pm after updating everything) and this morning (5:30am) she clicked on an email that had it. She open the email to read without clicking on any attachments.
    Don't ever open e-mails that say they are offering free Antivirus, PDF readers, etc. They are all scams to try to get you to install malware on your PC. Legit companies would never spam your e-mail like that.

Maximum PC magazine just did a round-up of antivirus apps and rated Norton Internet Security 2012 the best commercial product available right now ($31 from Amazon for coverage of up to three computers) and Microsoft Security Essentials the best free antivirus available. The prior comes with a good comprehensive firewall, so if you get the latter just make sure you download a decent free firewall software too like Comodo.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'm using malwarebytes, never a problem. AVG is good. Norton's history is terrible...

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Avast and malwarebytes

I have had good luck with AVG and Avast in the past. I have had bad luck with norton in the past.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Thanks Guys! I think I'm going with the paid AVG and malwarebytes. The computer is "new" to us. I reformat it and reinstalled win xp pro.
    First Join on Jan 20th 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    Here's what I would do:

1. Download Malwarebytes.....there is a free version.
    2. Immediately update the database
    3. Run a full scan

If you actually do this would be good to know your results.
    There is a way Malware can be run in conjunction with another anti-virus program but first you need to run Malwarebytes.

War
    Do this in safe mode IMO.
    Also Avast or AVG are some of the best antiviruses you can get, and they are free for non-commercial use.

That bleepingcomputer.com also has a reg hack that will stop that BS anti virus from stopping the install of Malwarebytes. Download that to a thumbdrive if need be, then install, and update malwarebytes, and it will take care of it. For anyone else who might be having this issue.
    Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Do this in safe mode IMO.
    Also Avast or AVG are some of the best antiviruses you can get, and they are free for non-commercial use.
    I use the paid versions of Avast and Malware.

Wart

Looks like I'm not alone, picked this same bug up in the past few days.
    Computer Associates will have nothing to do with it. Running again after RKill.
    This laptop only surfs gunsnet and Facebook, had both open in seperate windows a few days ago.
    That's when two suspicious pop ups hit me. Good luck getting rid of yours.