Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears, Kmart: Beginning of the end?

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Quit Sears the year I got married, 1974. Have been in the store once to exchange a broken Craftsman tool, once to try to get parts for a Craftsman chainsaw.
    Twice in 37 years was once too much. The broken tool was replaced with no problem, the parts had to come from east Timbuktoo.
    The main reason I quit them was the lousy customer service.
    To-day parts can be found on line and even purchased over the phone, without havin to drive the 30 miles to the nearest store, only to find that the sales department has no idea what you are talking about, and don't think they ever sold that anyway.
    Not so sad to see them go.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Sears is screwing up by......

relying on clothes sales. Their cloths departments suck. They should stick with what they have always done pretty will, appliances, household goods and tools. Kmart? I don't know what to say. I always liked that store but they tried to make themselves into more of a high end store than they were.

I always have had good experience with Sears brand appliances. I bought a Maytag dish washer once. It had a recall on the controller in the door. 6 months after they so called fixed it, the controller died. Price for a replacement, 500 bucks. I did not spend that much on the whole washer. No more Maytag for me. No wonder the Maytag man did not have much work. Their prices for parts is way out of line so no one ever called. They just bought another brand......chris3

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    WallyWorld did the same soon after Sam died. I remember before his death, you could go to any department and there was always several associates to help you without searching for them. In 1992, they skeletonized the depts with a manager and one associate.
    Now days, you're more or less on your own.

Yes I noticed that too.

That's how they got to be where they are was by being a discount store with the kind of service you got from the top of line stores.

I guess when their competitors slashed their staffs and got rid of their good service, they didn't feel the need to spend the money on it either.

Good service just doesn't exist in any of the big chain stores nowadays.

Yea and for those who do not know the Craftsman line of hand tools is now made in China...

I have one of the Made in USA sets...probably one of the last...

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Yes I noticed that too.

That's how they got to be where they are was by being a discount store with the kind of service you got from the top of line stores.

I guess when their competitors slashed their staffs and got rid of their good service, they didn't feel the need to spend the money on it either.

Good service just doesn't exist in any of the big chain stores nowadays.
    When it was Sam in charge you paid out to one owner, when he died the family now became the ones the company paid out to and each wanted what the old man got. In same ways that's the problem with both Sears and Kmarts, it's not the present management the stores are having trouble paying for but also the last 3-4 generations on retirement as well. If you're paying all your profits out at the top end there's little left to run the company.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    ..................it's not the present management the stores are having trouble paying for but also the last 3-4 generations on retirement as well. If you're paying all your profits out at the top end there's little left to run the company.

SIGHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh....

Wart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12