Thread: 'Mischief' voters push Ron Paul to front of Iowa GOP Race

Cool 'Mischief' voters push Ron Paul to front of Iowa GOP Race

Ron Paul is surging in the Republican presidential race. Just not among Republicans. The Texas congressman is leading some polls in Iowa and is in a tie for second in New Hampshire. Who are Ron Paul's supporters? Are they, in fact, Republicans? In an analysis accompanying his most recent survey in Iowa, pollster Scott Rasmussen noted, "Romney leads, with Gingrich in second, among those who consider themselves Republicans. Paul has a wide lead among non-Republicans who are likely to participate in the caucus." The same is true in New Hampshire. A poll released Monday by the Boston Globe and the University of New Hampshire shows Paul leading among Democrats and independents who plan to vote in the January 10 primary. But among Republicans, Paul is a distant third –– 33 points behind leader Mitt Romney.

In South Carolina, "Paul's support is higher among those who usually don't vote in GOP primary elections," notes David Woodard, who runs the Palmetto Poll at Clemson University. In a hotly-contested Republican race, it appears that only about half of Paul's supporters are Republicans. In Iowa, according to Rasmussen, just 51 percent of Paul supporters consider themselves Republicans. In New Hampshire, the number is 56 percent, according to Andrew Smith, head of the University of New Hampshire poll.

So who is supporting Paul? In New Hampshire, Paul is the choice of just 13 percent of Republicans, according to the new poll, while he is the favorite of 36 percent of independents and 26 percent of Democrats who intend to vote in the primary. Paul leads in both non-Republican categories. Non-Republicans are sure to vote in all three early GOP contests. Iowa requires that caucus participants be registered Republicans, but anyone can show up on caucus night, register, and vote.
    http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...op-race/276751

HAHAHA! Democrats are crossing over and voting for Ron Paul in the primary just like I plan to do here when I attend the Idaho Republican Caucus in March.

It would be funny as hell if he ended up winning not just the Republican nomination, but beating Obama in November as well.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I remember Rush telling people to do this with Hillary vs Obama and it helped keep things interesting for a while.

Our Republican Party here in Idaho just went to a "closed primary" system so that only registered Republicans can vote in the primary.

But that's not stopping many Democrats from registering as Republicans and crossing over and voting in the Republican primary, just to fuck with the neo-conservatives.

Something like 80% of all eligible voters here in Idaho are registered Republicans now, but they only get like 60% of the vote in most general elections, so clearly 20% of them aren't really Republicans at all.

Personally, I think its stupid how you have to choose one or the other. Why can't everyone vote in BOTH the Republican and Democratic primaries, for their favorite candidates from both parties? Pick the lesser of the evils in each one, so that you can then vote for the lesser of the evils again in the general election.

Having a more open election system would seem to be more fair.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Personally, I think its stupid how you have to choose one or the other. Why can't everyone vote in BOTH the Republican and Democratic primaries, for their favorite candidates from both parties? Pick the lesser of the evils in each one, so that you can then vote for the lesser of the evils again in the general election.

Having a more open election system would seem to be more fair.
    Why should anyone be allowed to influence a primary election when they have absolutely no intention of voting for that person in a general election under any circumstances? Personally i think it should be made so that you have to be registered for a few years to be able to influence a primary and if it can be demonstrated that your general votes consistently contradict your primary votes you get your privelige revoked. Universal sufferage really is a bad idea.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have thought it slightly unfair and underhanded for the opposing party (say party 1) to take part in the primary election for the other party (party 2) so that a weaker candidate may be put against the candidate for party 1. Those who are a member of party 1 should be allowed to vote in the primary for those candidates running in party 1 only and the same for party 2. We all get a say in who is elected when the general election comes around. From my reading this is used much more by Democrats to ensure winnability over a Republican, but I didn't like it any better when Rush recommended it. It skews the outcome and does not ensure we get the choice of the best candidates. For all that, it is not against the rules. I think it just shows the character of people who would practice this and the quality of the candidates they support. They couldn't win in a fair election so they have to influence the outcome some other way, whether like this or by registering people who are dead or don't exist, or by voting more than once.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Fuck you LAGC.

I'm a Republican in spirit and a Ron Paul fan in reality, and you ruin the image of both. I hope you burn in Hell you fuckin shit stain.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"