Thread: For the Techies: Flight of the Floppy Drives

Smile For the Techies: Flight of the Floppy Drives

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I wonder how many people don't know or have never seen a true "floppy" disk?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I wonder how many people don't know or have never seen a true "floppy" disk?!?!?!?
    No doubt. My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20 with its cassette tape drive, and my first PC was a Kaypro IV with standard 5.25" floppies.

I remember when everyone used to call those 3.5" floppies "hard disks" because of their hard shell, even though the disks were floppy inside.

Kids these days don't know what us "old geezers" are talking about. LOL. And I'm only 34!
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

First office PC... a trash 80 with 6 SS/SD 5.25" floppies

It has been a long time since I have seen an old floopy dist or drive, much less some one using one.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

3.5" is a "microfloppy"
    5.25" is a "minifloppy"

I've used minicomputers with 8" full-sized floppy disk drives.

8-incher

Here's an image of a 15-inch - though I've never used a system which took these.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by circuits View Post

8-incher

Hey, size doesn't matter!

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The similarities between LAGC and a 1990's home computer?

They both have a 3.5" floppy.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

my first machine was a Commie 64 with an acoustic link 300 baud modem and a monochrome monitor. i should have kept the modem. it's probably worth a few bucks now.

then i stepped into the big time with a Pine Com PC XT 8088 clone with two 5.25's, a 10 meg hard drive, a 1200 baud internal modem, 64k of RAM and RGB display. i hot rodded it to 10.1Mhz and really thought i had something going on.

ANSI and ASCII graphics, BBS's (one at a time), DOS........how in the world did we get out of the caves?
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I still use the 3.5's, have a 5.25 and I have the mammoth 1541? I think it is for the Commodore series.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

FUNNY!!!
    видеодон

Quote Originally Posted by circuits View Post
    3.5" is a "microfloppy"
    5.25" is a "minifloppy"

8-incher

Here's an image of a 15-inch - though I've never used a system which took these.
    When I was working for ADM back in '99-'01, they had an old system with an orange-on-black monochrome monitor with 8" floppies on the network. I still have both a 3.5" FD and a 250 mb ZIP drive on my 5 year old XP machine. I like the true "drag & drop" that only comes with magnetic media.
    Yes, I do have a single-layer DVD burner but with external hard drives as big ans relatively inexpensive as they are, I don't waste the discs on "backups".
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”