Thread: Years of Production for Yugoslavian M-48 Mauser Series?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question Years of Production for Yugoslavian M-48 Mauser Series?

Can anyone tell me the Year's of Production for the M-48 Series of Yugo. Mausers? I wanted to know if they were made in 1956! Thanks Paul

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

There were multiple versions of the Yugo M48.

M48 - 1950-1952

M48A - 1952-1956

M48B - 1956-1965

M48BO - 1956 - 1965

Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks, as I have no Book's yet on the Yugo. Mauser M-48 Series, what is the Difference between the M48A and M48B? I would like to buy a 1956 made Yugo. where is the best Place?
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 12-31-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The M48A included stamped parts. the M48A used sheet metal stampings for the magazine floor plate. These changes sped production while lowering cost. The critical bolt and receiver which contain the pressure of the burning propellant within the cartridge case retained the same material requirements and design tolerances (ie, were machined from forged steel) in the A and B variations

The M48B had additional sheet metal stampings incorporated. The most critical factor to understand about this model is that it continued to be stamped on the receiver ring M48A. There was no change in markings. The specific changes in parts is unverified but include stamped barrel and H-bands and the magazine spring follower. The most significant change and external appearance whereby the M48B may be identified is the trigger guard. Whereas previously, the trigger guard/mag well were machined from a solid billet of steel, it was changed to an assembly fabricated from stamped parts. The new trigger guard has a rib running around the exterior of both sides. While the exact number of changes made to this model have not been specified, the impact on production in 1956 were extensive and drastically reduced the number produced that year. There was a specific reason for this. From 1956 on, all M48 production was intended solely for export.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.