Thread: Any Bazooka experts on here?

Any Bazooka experts on here?

Many years ago, when cleaning out my Grandfather's old storage shed, we found a canister marke M87A1. It turned out to be an inert Bazooka round. I think......

It looks like a M6A3. It has the rounded tip, not pointy. My question is, why does the canister say M87A1?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ation.png/sr=1

I'm trying to determine the value of it, but I can't seem to find any info. I've googled the piss out of this thing with not much luck.

So, just curious if there's any bazooka folks on here.

Here's mine:

Last edited by F-16 CHIEF; 01-01-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

When I first read the title, I thought you were referring to Bazooka Bubble Gum and Bazooka Joe. I know a little bit about the gum, as I grew up chewing it, but I know nothing of the workings of a military bazooka, other than you don't want to be standing behind the guy shooting it when he lights it off.

Godo luck with your search.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Yes, I too believe M87A1 is in reference to the container used to store and transport the rocket.

There is a special wooden Packing Box to transport 6 M1A1 AT Rocket Launchers, 6 web Slings, and 6 wire Flash Deflectors . Dimensions are 60 1/4” x 17 5/8” x 16 3/4”, displacement 10 cu ft, gross weight 155 lb . The Rockets are also packed individually in M87 Fiber Containers, while 20 such Containers are transported in another wooden Packing Box with following characteristics : 24 ½” x 18 2/3” x 13 ½”, representing 37 cu ft and 128 lb .

reference - http://www.strictly-gi.com/bazooka.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Yeah, I saw that paratrooper link, but I never thought as the container as being designated with M87A1. Interesting. I guess I needed a different perspective.

My guess is then, that it's a M7A1 or M7A3. Some on gun broker at auction for 275!

Thank you guys!
    Last edited by F-16 CHIEF; 01-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Looks like a M7A3 practice round, 7A1 has a pointed head.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

It definately is a training practice round,[ the blue warhead]. Are you sure its deactivated. I see it still has the safety pin in place. I am no bazooka expert, but the training practice mortar rounds we used still had pyro in them for a hell of a bang and flash, same thing on the M72a2 LAW that replaced the Bazooka. I would be carefull with it and not assume anything.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

All of the wiring is gone. It's empty. I can't unscrew the head either. Almost like it's tacked on. But no motor or nothing in it. I guess it could have something in the nose, but I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    It definately is a training practice round,[ the blue warhead]. Are you sure its deactivated. I see it still has the safety pin in place. I am no bazooka expert, but the training practice mortar rounds we used still had pyro in them for a hell of a bang and flash, same thing on the M72a2 LAW that replaced the Bazooka. I would be carefull with it and not assume anything.
    The Training Mortar rounds and the sub caliber projectile firing M72 LAW rockets trainers were NOT BLUE MARKED DUMMIES. Don't confuse them. Any ordnance marked blue, whether it be fragmentation grenades, Claymore Mines, Rifle grenades, or Rockets are inert dummies. Period. I handle these all the time and handled similar items back in the ancient times when I was in the service. Also those trainers that actually fired something were specifically marked as such.

Just make sure that the blue paint/markings are original and NOT put there after the fact by someone. If the 'inert' blue is original, it's as deadly as any bowling ball (and as useful as a weapon).

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    The Training Mortar rounds and the sub caliber projectile firing M72 LAW rockets trainers were NOT BLUE MARKED DUMMIES. Don't confuse them. Any ordnance marked blue, whether it be fragmentation grenades, Claymore Mines, Rifle grenades, or Rockets are inert dummies. Period. I handle these all the time and handled similar items back in the ancient times when I was in the service. Also those trainers that actually fired something were specifically marked as such.

Just make sure that the blue paint/markings are original and NOT put there after the fact by someone. If the 'inert' blue is original, it's as deadly as any bowling ball (and as useful as a weapon).
    Ah and you solved yet another mystery. The reason that UN forces wear blue helmets.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Ah and you solved yet another mystery. The reason that UN forces wear blue helmets.
    Ah yes. good o ne! But I think UN Peace keeping forces are less useful than bowling balls in combat

Took to a pawn shop today and was offered 40 dollars for it.

So, needless to say, it's still with me.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    LMAF...... That was a great line.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by F-16 CHIEF View Post
    Took to a pawn shop today and was offered 40 dollars for it.

So, needless to say, it's still with me.
    Hang on to it. That was way lowball IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Hang on to it. That was way lowball IMO.
    Agreed!

I suspect Paris Hilton, Linsey Lohan, Brittany Spears, and at least one Kardasian sister would pay BIG BUCKS for a big blue dildo of that size and quality!!!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Practice rounds had 2 white strips on them, live ordnance was OD green.

· Yellow. High-explosive.
    · Brown. Low-explosive.
    · Gray. Chemical.
    · Light-green. Smoke.
    · Light-red. Incendiary.
    · White. Illuminating-pyrotechnic.
    · Black. Armor-defeating.
    · Aluminum (silver). Countermeasure.
    · Blue. Practice.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.