Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Ron Paul Bad for Defense and Foreign Policy?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post

Who are you going to vote for?
    I would say enough will vote for Mittens to give him the nomination.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    ......but the minimum I require is someone who will not make things worse.
    And if that "someone" is a gridlocked Barry Obama ??

Wart

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    The foundeers changed their mind in 1784 when the Islamists attacked our shipping. We invented the USA's Navy and Marines and invaded Tripoli...
    War was against the pirates and their leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by rshaneck2002 View Post
    Every time this nation has minded its own beeswax someone comes along and truly messes with us,ever hear of Pearl Harbor? we try to play referee in the middle east and we get 9/11. I will always think that the US needs a very strong military presence around the world,a serious display of power,especially in this modern world.this country tends to forget that the number one responsibilty of our fed gov is national defense,or international defense which we already have in this day of high tech. we have been drawn in wars in the past and i am afraid we will be in the future,unless humans can find ways of getting along better as world population increases. I see no faith in that aspect,they have not in their entire history for any lasting length of time.
    They may not love you,but they sure as hell will respect you.there is not one country in this world we have not helped at onetime or another and we always seem to get kicked in the teeth for sure. Building a moat around us does appeal to me heavily but dos not work in the long run,besides we already have the moat around us. I like Mr Pauls ideas on the economy,not so much on national defense. could i live with it?sure? could live with Obama care too but I sure as hell do not like it or what it may create down the road.
    We were not minding our own business, we had our fingers in Japan's business in a big way. They were wrong to attack us and it cost them dearly but we are not entirely blameless. I'm guessing your history book left out the why they attacked and only focused on they attacked.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    If you think the constitution and the founding fathers were wrong about getting entangled in foreign affairs then yes he is bad. If you believe in sane government then he is good...your choice.
    Sane government? You know how I know you don't pay much attention to what Ron Paul says?

Ron Paul has said Iran is justified in blockading the Straits of Hormuz in response to sanctions, because sanctions are an act of war. He then compared sanctions to a naval blockade, which he says is an act of war, but not apparently if Iran does it! God, he is so stupid it hurts my head to try and decipher his lunatic ravings.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 01-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Sane government? You know how I know you don't pay much attention to what Ron Paul says?

Ron Paul has said Iran is justified in blockading the Straits of Hormuz in response to sanctions, because sanctions are an act of war. He then compared sanctions to a naval blockade, which he says is an act of war, but not apparently if Iran does it! God, he is so stupid it hurts my head to try and decipher his lunatic ravings.
    I don't like the situation and it isn't going to turn out good for anybody but I think he is right. I wouldn't have thought of it but then I'm not running for President. Agree or disagree as you wish but it doesn't fall under the rubric of lunatic.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    RP seems like a nut job .....Guess I am stuck picking the lesser of two evils .....Again

Rick Santorum
    Santorum is NOT the lesser evil. That idiot fuck is opposed to E-verify. More jobs for illegals. Why?
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

I don't like the situation and it isn't going to turn out good for anybody but I think he is right. I wouldn't have thought of it but then I'm not running for President. Agree or disagree as you wish but it doesn't fall under the rubric of lunatic.
    How are sanctions akin to a blockade? If a bunch of nations decide not to do business with Iran, that's their prerogative. In any event, If Iran blockades the straight, that is an act of war. Who will fight that war?

Santorum is NOT the lesser evil. That idiot fuck is opposed to E-verify. More jobs for illegals. Why?
    I suppose because he is opposed to a national ID system, which does have some merits in an honest discussion. However E verify would not be needed if the government would just shut the border to illegals.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    why shut the borders. Just take every US business man to jail that hires an illegal worker.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

In my opinion, he could absolutely articulate himself better on foreign policy (and other) issues. He's not a naturally smooth speaker, oh well. BUT ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

His consistent record of actions over the past several decades speak volumes. He served in the US Air Force, he's seen cold war and knows that it is preferable to a shooting war.

We need a conservative radical, not more of the same. He's the only one in the whole field.

George Washington's warning about avoiding foreign entanglements was good advice, very good, in my opinion. That should not be confused with being weak on defense, which Paul is not.

Ron Paul has said Iran is justified in blockading the Straits of Hormuz in response to sanctions, because sanctions are an act of war. He then compared sanctions to a naval blockade, which he says is an act of war, but not apparently if Iran does it! God, he is so stupid it hurts my head to try and decipher his lunatic ravings
    One has only to look at the months leading up to Japan's attacking Pearl Harbor to see the parallel with Iran and I'm sure RP knows that history chapter and verse. Simply NEOCONS, AIPAC and Netyanhu are attempting to push the US into war with Iran.

If successful, Iran will not only attack the Strait of Hormuz but also close-off the Gate of Tears and attack Saudi Arabia across that narrow choke point. Iran will fire everything at Israel not fired at the Saudis. Israel will, of course respond.

Now I know many of you will be just thrilled shitless at this point but consider this wild card:

Russia says strike on Iran would be a 'very serious mistake'

November 07, 2011 7:58PM

RUSSIA has warned of the dire consequences of a possible military strike on Iran.

Vlad Putin. has some problems now in Russia and could use a diversion.

Now what is THE BEST my country, the USA, can get from this insanity ?? EIGHT DOLLAR A GALLON gasoline is the best and will probably be more....much more.

The worst scenario is incalculable.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    why shut the borders. Just take every US business man to jail that hires an illegal worker.
    That's the argument for E verify, use private business to enforce immigration laws through the use of a national ID system to verify who is able to work and who isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    The Republican Party and their Chamber of Commerce will never allow that, too much of a "burden" on poor small business people after all.

Must use e-Verify on your employees to make sure they are legal? NO WAY, JOSE!
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I don't like the situation and it isn't going to turn out good for anybody but I think he is right.
    Yes....unfortunately he is right.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    The Republican Party and their Chamber of Commerce will never allow that, too much of a "burden" on poor small business people after all.

Rethuglicans AND the Dimocrats.

Wart

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    You know, in my opinion, Ron Paul is a fan of Ayn Rand, and her ideas. I, myself am also. Ayn Rand made the observation, that we are morally justified when we help out anyone who is being wronged. She also said, that we were under no moral obligation to do so, but if we did, we were morally justified to do so. Ron Paul should have studied more of Ayn Rands writings, and then I might think he had a firm grasp on his basic premises.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    That's the argument for E verify, use private business to enforce immigration laws through the use of a national ID system to verify who is able to work and who isn't.
    which is cheaper and more effective?

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

Well you could also argue it's not the job of private business to enforce immigration laws, why not have the federal government do it (you know like the Constitution says it should)?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Well you could also argue it's not the job of private business to enforce immigration laws, why not have the federal government do it (you know like the Constitution says it should)?
    How's the government supposed to know where they all are? If no one ever checks their status, the government is operating blind! There are an estimated 10 million undocumented workers still in this country right now (down from 12.5 million as recently as 2007) -- why are there less than just 5 years ago? Because the JOBS have disappeared. People wouldn't risk life and limb coming across the border if they didn't think they could make a lot more money working here than back home. The most reasonable "choke-point" is to just force employers to check their status and only hire legit citizens!

Sure, you can round a few of them up if they happen to get arrested like these misguided laws in Arizona and Alabama that target Hispanic citizens as well, but most are very careful about not participating in illegal activity that might make them appear on the government's radar. Doesn't it make more sense to go after the SOURCE that draws them here in the first place?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

War was against the pirates and their leaders.

We were not minding our own business, we had our fingers in Japan's business in a big way. They were wrong to attack us and it cost them dearly but we are not entirely blameless. I'm guessing your history book left out the why they attacked and only focused on they attacked.
    Bingo........ There's nothing wrong with punishing the guilty. There's no sense in spending yourself in our sons and daughters lives to build countries.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast