Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jews and Muslims...

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Oddly wart can bring up transgendered israelis in a thread about minimum wage in SF and krupski never says a thing to him about going OT or being rude...
    Speaking of "rude" I forgot to thank you for the link to "transgendered Israelis".

Wart

They (nazi bastards) are building the camps to do it again, this time to us.

http://www.infowars.com/homeland-sec...mp-activation/

Oddly wart can bring up transgendered israelis in a thread about minimum wage in SF and krupski never says a thing to him about going OT or being rude...
    I put up with you too. I'm an equal opportunity asshole.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    krupski + wart
    You haven't been here long enough to even think something like that.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    if the Jews were really all that smart why has it taken 60+ years and still no solution to the Palestinian problem??
    The answer is simple. The rest of the world won't let them do what they want/need to do. Taking into account what Warthogg said, even if the Israelis totally eliminated all Palestinians, there would still be plenty of Muslim enemies to keep them busy for generations to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I put up with you too. I'm an equal opportunity asshole.
    No I think you're showing quite a bias and I bet most know why.

Hate to try to bring this thread back on topic, but I think the main reason you see so many more Jewish Nobel Prize recipients versus Muslim is that many Jews don't take their religion as seriously any more. Several of those Nobel Prize winners are outright non-believers, if not atheists. There's much more respect for science and rational inquiry, whereas Islam (a much newer religion) hasn't had time to mellow out yet and be more open to reason instead of superstition.

Instead of shunning Muslims and treating them as second-class citizens as that chain mail suggests, the West should do more to embrace them and welcome them into our culture. The sooner Islam is dragged out of the Dark Ages and into the Information Age, the sooner we'll see more Muslim names populate that list.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Hate to try to bring this thread back on topic, but I think the main reason you see so many more Jewish Nobel Prize recipients versus Muslim is that many Jews don't take their religion as seriously any more. Several of those Nobel Prize winners are outright non-believers, if not atheists. There's much more respect for science and rational inquiry, whereas Islam (a much newer religion) hasn't had time to mellow out yet and be more open to reason instead of superstition.

Instead of shunning Muslims and treating them as second-class citizens as that chain mail suggests, the West should do more to embrace them and welcome them into our culture. The sooner Islam is dragged out of the Dark Ages and into the Information Age, the sooner we'll see more Muslim names populate that list.

You still don't get that they, in most countries, have as modern of technology as we do.

Emrace my A$$ you liberal apologist!!!
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    You still don't get that they, in most countries, have as modern of technology as we do.
    Yeah, but there's a lot less respect for science and empirical observation in much of the Islamic world. Sure, they can BUY a lot of the same technology and use them the same as us, but there isn't that deep-seating quest for learning and free thought in many of their schools, which are still very religious in nature (madrasas and the like).
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn, I wish my prophetic skills would extend into lottery numbers. I'd be set for life.

Yeah, but there's a lot less respect for science and empirical observation in much of the Islamic world. Sure, they can BUY a lot of the same technology and use them the same as us, but there isn't that deep-seating quest for learning and free thought in many of their schools, which are still very religious in nature (madrasas and the like).

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Damn, I wish my prophetic skills would extend into lottery numbers. I'd be set for life.
    +1,000,000
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

I think that argument could be made to some degree. The Jews have always had education as one of our primary cultural aspects though. And quite often even agnostic or downright atheist Jews will still go to temple a couple times a year and the vast majority will still give their children a Jewish education and see they are Bar Mitzvahed.

The truth is the Arabs were at one time the center of scientific learning, and contributed greatly to the earlier Jewish advancements, often supporting Jewish endeavors into science and medicine, but they had a cultural shift I suppose in the 17th century (Wahhabism). Had that shift not occurred it is very likely that the Arabs would still be at the forefront of learning.

I suppose had the Nobel prizes been given out earlier by several centuries than we would have seen many more Arab names on the lists.

Personally, I see now as sort of a "dark age of Islam" that only some are coming out of, Muslims who really are working hard to learn and expand learning, while many are still stuck in that dark age and trying to pull others back in.

There are always those who try to "return to a purer time", often though religious fundamentalism due to the perceived "excesses" (real or imagined) of modern society.

This is an extremely popular opinion found in conservatism of every branch.

The difference is degrees. What the group is willing to do, either give up things for themselves or attempt to take things from others. One group may simply yearn for June Cleaver and the 1950's, a relativity harmless ideal. Whereas another group may blow up medical services, or force citizens into religiously based duties and modes of dress threatened by torture or imprisonment.

Sadly, or perhaps rightly, because of our ideals on freedom, really the most we can do is hope these groups don't gain traction, or otherwise hopefully fade away, and prosecute those who step far enough outside the bounds as to become criminals (while hoping this doesn't make them martyrs)

No I think you're showing quite a bias and I bet most know why.
    Quite a bias? Call me confused. If "most know why" I would like one of them to tell ME why... so that I know too.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Quite a bias? Call me confused. If "most know why" I would like one of them to tell ME why... so that I know too.
    Duh...Because you're a NAZI!!!!

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post

Lol
    You know he lives for that...

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher
    Nope I just think his constant anti-Semitic spew gets old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    Kindly show me a couple of examples of:

.......constant anti-Semitic spew......
    Wart
    nitewatcher, you make a serious charge. Please back up your charge or withdraw the charge.

Wart

Lol

You remembered! Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....

was_peacemaker

Hate to bust your bubble on this but many Jewish scientist like...

A) Gerald Schroeder
    B.Sc. Chemical engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.)
    M.Sc. Earth and planetary sciences, M.I.T.
    PhD Earth Sciences and Physics, M.I.T.

B) Howard Smith a senior astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Canter for Astrophysics

C) The late Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan (who was also a scientist)

These three are just an example of modern day Jewish scientist who are very devout Torah reading Jews. One thing many religion bashing people like yourself don't realize is that the Genesis creation story was not taken literal until the Protestant Reformation, and tends to be a protestant thing. The Rabbi's writing in the Talmud 1500 years ago did not read it or teach it in a literal sense, and the initial six days of creation are not seen as time as we know it. Also many Jews and Christians of early antiquity believed the Earth was spherical and not flat. The idea that it was flat was absorbed into the medieval church from Germanic culture. Not Near East religious culture.

was_peacemaker

The truth is the Arabs were at one time the center of scientific learning, and contributed greatly to the earlier Jewish advancements, often supporting Jewish endeavors into science and medicine, but they had a cultural shift I suppose in the 17th century (Wahhabism). Had that shift not occurred it is very likely that the Arabs would still be at the forefront of learning.
    Yep like the library of Cordoba in Spain. Also Egypt was a place of higher academic scholarship in the Arabic world before Julius Caesar burned the library down. Yet, if I am not mistaken, I think Maimonides wrote many of his works in Arabic while in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    .......before Julius Caesar burned the library down.
    'Maybe' Julius burned the library down.

Wart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast