Thread: Philly Dem scores big on backs of taxpayers.

Philly Dem scores big on backs of taxpayers.

Philly Councilwoman back after retiring one day; gets $478K payday via loophole

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012, 12:54 PM

As described in an article by Becket Adams for Glenn Beck's news website, The Blaze, Marion Tasco, a Democrat City Councilwoman in financially more-than-precarious Philadelphia, returns to her position today after "retiring" for one day yesterday, in order to take advantage of a loophole which will reward her with (and cost taxpayers) $478,057.

According to Adams's article, "Philly Councilwoman Will ‘Retire’ for One Day, Collect a $478K Pension, and Return on Monday":

Marion B. Tasco, who has been described as being “politically savvy,” will retire from her sixth term as councilwoman, collect $478,057, and then be sworn in on Monday to serve her seventh term, Catherine Lucy and Chris Brennan of the Philadelphia Daily News.

Additionally, according to Tasco's article:

Tasco, along with many of her fellow Council members, is enrolled in Philadelphia’s Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP). DROP allows city workers to collect salary and build up pension money during the last four years of their employment, writes Aaron Kase of Philadelphia Weekly.

Naturally, when DROP was originally introduced, it was touted as being “revenue neutral.” It’s been anything but that. SInce its introduction, Philadelphia’s DROP program has cost the city $258 million in extra pension costs over a decade, according to a 2010 Boston College study.

Among the outraged comments left to Adams's story were the following:

" Favored93": "I can’t tell you guys just how much this pisse$ me off!!! This is corruption…. but that is not even the worst of it…. this is IN YOUR FACE OBVIOUS CORRUPTION!!!!!!! 'I have been her long enough to screw the American people with my policies and now I will screw them out of almost a half a million dollars and another term in office to screw them MORE!!!!!' "

"GERATMO": " These people forgot what the intention of public service really is. Its not supposed to be a career, its supposed to be a service to your community then you quit and get on with your life. This will never change as long as we have Liberals in office."

"Balthazor": "Nobody’s been duped by anyone. Odds are good that the overwhelming majority of her constituents are not actual taxpayers, and are probably delighted that she’s 'gettin hers' from 'the man'."

http://www.examiner.com/jewish-cultu...y-via-loophole
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Last edited by PROBASCO; 01-02-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Maybe it's just my age (and the same with those I know as well) but of all the family and friends I know who work for the government retirement seems to be job one. I think they realize it's grab as much as you can while you can get it.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Naturally, when DROP was originally introduced, it was touted as being “revenue neutral.” It’s been anything but that. SInce its introduction, Philadelphia’s DROP program has cost the city $258 million in extra pension costs over a decade, according to a 2010 Boston College study.
    Marion B. Tasco, who has been described as being “politically savvy,” will retire from her sixth term as councilwoman, collect $478,057, and then be sworn in on Monday to serve her seventh term....

Dunno why anyone could be angry ?? After all, she has been elected and/or reelected SEVEN times.

Wart

Yeah!!!

So what the hell is new here,its been the same game they have played for 70 yrs,get rich and blame the RNC types. I just read where Pelosi stayed in a $10,000.00 a night room down the street from Barack this X-mas., and did or did not Bill & Hillary become much much more wealthy after leaving the big house in DC. Surely you truly didnt believe it was FOR THE PEOPLE did you. They run the scam and blame others,oldest trick in human history. I have always been amazed how they blame the CEO types and yet holly wood movie stars and sports figures who make just as much yearly get a daily atta boy and one huge pass. Dos anyone really think truly they are worth it? both sides i mean. All they do is this simple, play good cop,bad cop and we get the tab. Nope nothing new here at all. If they go there poor they come home rich,both sides although most RNC types are already rich. I will say this though,never seen a poor man hire anyone. Really just look at how many people make fortunes just talking about politicos today from Racheal Maddow,Chris Mathews to Hannity,Limbaugh,and ORielly. Yep laughing all the way to the bank. We are the fools!