Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Year's Eve In Detroit/Mogadishu

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    You wouldn't have a link or two to back that claim up by chance?
    Sure, no problem.

Is the Jewish virtual library talking about census data and numbers from the Arab-American Institute an ok source?

In December 2003, the U.S. census bureau released data for the first time on the Arab population of the United States. The data is from the 2000 census. For information on the Jewish population, see Demographics. The census does not break down the figures by religion, but the Arab-American Institute estimates that about 77% of Arab-Americans are Christians (42% Catholic, 23% Orthodox, 12% Protestant) and 23% Muslim.
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...l/arabpop.html

Wiki puts the Lebanese at about 1/3rd of all US Arabs, and puts the Arab American Christians at 63% of the Arab American community with a rather large (13%) other, and 24% Muslim
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_American

The thing is the Christians don't stand out as much, or those that do aren't even thought of as Arab or are often confused with Jews, like Tony Shalhoub or Ralph Nader

I don't know how this thread got sidetracked w/ the Arab thing anyway. I can guarantee that the overwhelming majority of the guns being fired in that video were not in the hands of "Arabs".
    Lol, that's probably true, and threads do have a way of getting sidetracked

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    well I was in a small town in the amish country and it sounded the same....

My only question is how in the hell does that guy get a job as a reporter? I know it's a third world country and everything but seriously they don't have any Mcdonald's that need a night drive though manager?
    that is that reporters mo. He does stories on how
    Bad detroit is.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post

Is the Jewish virtual library talking about census data and numbers from the Arab-American Institute an ok source?
    Okay I guess, though those stats are based on a 12-year-old census. I wonder how much the numbers have shifted since then?

In my own area (northeast IL and greater Chicago) the number of mosques that have either been built are are being built in say the last 10 yrs or so is noticeable, and I doubt those Christian A-rabs are attending same.

My boss is Chaldean (spelling?) And his boss is also, but the owner of the company are Lebanese. But they are Christian and Catholic, really good people to work for. The company is based out of Detroit. I'm trying to learn Arabic from my boss. Difficult for me so far. But back to topic. Detroit sucks, anywhere in the lower peninsula sucks. I drove past a few cars the other day while on a delivery that were broken into. Smash and grabs. Gunshots here are somewhat normal.

A lot of the Arabs in the Chicago area are Muslim. The Christian ones are generally Chaldean from Iraq.

You'll see a lot of them in Bridgeview, IL.

Okay I guess, though those stats are based on a 12-year-old census. I wonder how much the numbers have shifted since then?

In my own area (northeast IL and greater Chicago) the number of mosques that have either been built are are being built in say the last 10 yrs or so is noticeable, and I doubt those Christian A-rabs are attending same.
    Well if the wiki data is more accurate then Christian Arabs have become less by 14% while Muslims would only be up 1%

My guess is the data isn't so great, but probably still good enough to say the vast majority are Christian.

As to more Mosques, seems so to me as well, that number seems to be growing fairly steadily. I suppose as more branch out from places like Dearborn or Chicago and find new places to work it's bound to happen. Same thing happened with Jews, a couple temples in a few places, small communities. Then work moves you and you make new communities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12