Thread: KY Cops file charges against a dead man ....

KY Cops file charges against a dead man ....

Can any of our friends in Kentucky explain this to me? I mean he can't get a trial so he can't be convicted. What judge would waste time hearing this case?

LMPD files charges against dead man
    Jan 06, 2012

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- Louisville Metro Police are filing charges against a dead man. Last month, police say two officers were hurt when Norman Smith opened fire on them near the intersection of 10th Street and Jefferson Street.

Police say Smith later committed suicide and he was found in his car. WDRB News has learned that police have posthumously charged Smith with four counts of attempted murder and four counts of criminal mischief.

Officers responded to calls on December 20th of shots fired around 12:30 p.m. in the 1000 block of west Jefferson. When officers arrived, they got behind a white SUV suspected in the incident.

"He shot at our officers, and he got back in his vehicle and took off and we went after him. When he shot at our officers is when we had all the glass explosion. I think it was a shot gun if I am not mistaken that did most of the damage," Ishmon Burks, the interim LMPD Police Chief, said at the time.

Police say Smith led them on a chase to an alley in the 1800 block of Nelligan Alley, located in the Portland area. Authorities say more shots were fired.

"We heard a bunch of cops come down. I heard brakes lock up behind that building over there. Seen him get out of the truck shooting," said witness Charles Sanislow.

Two officers were injured. A bullet grazed one officer's face. Another officer suffered injuries from shattered glass.

Smith had just been released from prison in November.

Copyright 2012 WDRB News. All Rights Reserved.

Can't say for sure but I bet it has to do with the injuries of the officers and probably some form of disability or insurance payments. My guess would be that benefits are probably greater if the suspect is charged VS just dead...

Again all guess work

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    My guess would be that benefits are probably greater if the suspect is charged VS just dead...
    So if your guesswork is correct, it's essentially a way to fleece the taxpayer for more.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    So if your guesswork is correct, it's essentially a way to fleece the taxpayer for more.
    Why yes, yes it is. Louusville Metro you know..
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    To sue the man's estate.

Thanks guys! Great insight!!

But doesn't a man have to be CONVICTED of the crime to be liable for it? Just being charged doesn't make your estate liable for any judgment. Plaintiffs have to go through the process of a trial and verdict before actually going after you.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Damages against his estate would be a civil suit. Less stringent than a criminal trial.