Thread: Obama Administration Reportedly Plans to Create Internet ID for All Americans

Obama Administration Reportedly Plans to Create Internet ID for All Americans

President Obama is putting plans in motion to give the Commerce Department authority to create an Internet ID for all Americans, a White House official told CNET.com.

White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt told the website it is "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet.

The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace is currently being drafted by the Obama administration and will be released by the president in a few months.

"We are not talking about a national ID card. We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy, and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities," Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said at an event Friday at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, according to CNET.com.

Locke added that the Commerce Department will be setting up a national program office to work on this project.

The move has raised eyebrows about privacy issues.
    LETS SEE IF THE ACLU TAKES UP THIS CAUSE AGAINST OBAMA,

"The government cannot create that identity infrastructure," Jim Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and Technology told the website. "If I tried to, I wouldn't be trusted."

Schmidt stresses that anonymity will remain on the Internet, saying there's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1j7cMcPr1

Quote Originally Posted by PROBASCO View Post
    LETS SEE IF THE ACLU TAKES UP THIS CAUSE AGAINST OBAMA,
    I\'m sure they will, if it ever gained any traction. The ACLU has opposed Obama on several issues, including indefinite detention.

But it looks like FAUX News is making a mountain out of a mole-hill at this point.

I really doubt anyone is seriously considering Internet ID.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I\'m sure they will, if it ever gained any traction. The ACLU has opposed Obama on several issues, including indefinite detention.

But it looks like FAUX News is making a mountain out of a mole-hill at this point.

I really doubt anyone is seriously considering Internet ID.
    yep, the whole thing is just made up

did you miss this part of the story lagc? President Obama is putting plans in motion to give the Commerce Department authority to create an Internet ID for all Americans, a White House official told CNET.com reported by fox, from another source "cnet,com".

Well, he can sure try, but there's not much he can do without Congressional support.

And even if they go along, it will be challenged in the courts.

Not just by the ACLU, but I imagine the EFF and other privacy-concerned groups as well.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Well, he can sure try, but there's not much he can do without Congressional support.

And even if they go along, it will be challenged in the courts.

Not just by the ACLU, but I imagine the EFF and other privacy-concerned groups as well.
    have you ever heard of Cass Sunstein the regulatory czar? or "Executive order" Your fooling yourself if you think they wont do it if they think they can get away with it. If the dems still had control of congress it would be a done deal.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/obama-cz...-websites.html

When I think of someone who hates America, his is the face I see.

I have to have an ID to show for:

buying alcohol
    getting into a club
    buying ammunition
    buying a gun
    if a police officer simply asks for it for no apparent reason
    to do business at my bank (where they recognize my face)
    many times in order to mail a parcel

but president Zero and the Demokrats says it is racist to ask for an ID to vote

and now Zero wants to know who we are on the internet
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 01-11-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Soldado View Post
    I have to have an ID to show for:

buying alcohol
    getting into a club
    buying ammunition
    buying a gun
    if a police officer simply asks for it for no apparent reason
    to do business at my bank (where they recognize my face)
    many times in order to mail a parcel

but president Zero and the Demokrats says it is racist to ask for an ID to vote

and now Zero wants to know who we are on the internet
    ...and Zero has YET to produce the real birth certificate.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!