Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civics test, or have you been paying attention?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Civics test, or have you been paying attention?

http://www.isi.org/quiz.aspx?q=FE5C3...ookieSupport=1
    You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Missed Puritans, had right answer and changed it

Missed New Deal, had right answer and changed it

Missed Free Market, I just flat out misread the answers because I was getting in a hurry to finish this test. I haven't had to do this much thinking and remembering in .... well I forgets.

Did better than I usually do on these tests, average score appears to be in the 23-24 correct range.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

WTF??

I got 29 out of 33 correct — 87.88 %

But the questions on the last couple of pages were total BS, it's one thing to know which document a phrase comes from, but the market stuff was rather subjective

For instance, on the question "If taxes equal government spending, then:" and they give the correct answer as "tax per person equals government spending per person on average"...it's total nonesense, you could tax one person the amount of money in the entire budget and spend it one three other people leaving out the rest of the country entirely.

Even if you take it as an exact statement as they seem to portray it, it's like saying well 20 people each have one apple therefore they have 20 apples, so "on average" they each have one apple.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

28 0f 33......84.85%.

One careless miss....the other 4 I didn't know.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    WTF??

I got 29 out of 33 correct — 87.88 %

But the questions on the last couple of pages were total BS, it's one thing to know which document a phrase comes from, but the market stuff was rather subjective

For instance, on the question "If taxes equal government spending, then:" and they give the correct answer as "tax per person equals government spending per person on average"...it's total nonesense, you could tax one person the amount of money in the entire budget and spend it one three other people leaving out the rest of the country entirely.

Even if you take it as an exact statement as they seem to portray it, it's like saying well 20 people each have one apple therefore they have 20 apples, so "on average" they each have one apple.
    I missed that one also.

My careless miss......the Gettysburg address.

You answered 24 out of 33 correctly — 72.73 %

Partly because I answered sarcastically... for example:
    • Question: International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following?
    • Your Answer: a decrease in a nation’s standard of living
    • Correct Answer: an increase in a nation’s productivity

Stupid questions...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    I missed that one also.

My careless miss......the Gettysburg address.
    Lol, I missed that one too, was a bit embarrassed to admit it until someone else did

102 OUT OF 100 , oh wrong test. 28 right, no excuses, except for dropping oput of high school at 15 to get married.. I can use that excuse right? is it good for 5 points?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

You answered 32 out of 33 correctly — 96.97 %

Incorrect Answer

If taxes equal government spending, then:

Your Answer: government debt is zero

Correct Answer: tax per person equals government spending per person on average

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post

Incorrect Answer

That was also one of mine. Gave the same answer.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    That was also one of mine. Gave the same answer.

Wart

None of them sounded right but that one sounded the least wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post

Incorrect Answer

That was the one I was bitching about before.

Government debt is zero isn't right because you could still have had previous debt.

What would be right might be to say "the budget would be balanced" or something like that, but that question is more of a logic puzzle rather than anything connected to civics.

That was the one I was bitching about before.

Government debt is zero isn't right because you could still have had previous debt.

What would be right might be to say "the budget would be balanced" or something like that, but that question is more of a logic puzzle rather than anything connected to civics.

Yes that's exactly the answer I was looking for a "balanced budget" but it wasn't there.

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Incorrect Answers

Business profit.

Fiscal policy combinations.

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas.

In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %
    Question: In 1933 Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed a series of government programs that became known as:
    Your Answer: the Great Society
    Correct Answer: the New Deal

Question: What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
    Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would maintain a standing army
    Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

Question: Which of the following fiscal policy combinations has the federal government most often followed to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?
    Your Answer: decreasing both taxes and spending
    Correct Answer: decreasing taxes and increasing spending
    I had New Deal and changed my answer, I never studied the Federalist Papers so I guessed, Taxes seemed a good answer but apparently history disagrees.
    I caught the trick question on debt and the only reason I knew the Plato ect question is because I'm reading a book on Nietzsche and the two are contrasted.

All in all I vote it a Meh.
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

Lightbulb

i got 84.85%. i missed the one about taxes and zero debt also. thanks for posting, these are fun. especially now, since i don't have to tell my mom what i got on the test.

I got 31 out of 33. I missed the Puritans, and in 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I got 28 out of 33 (85%, a "B").

I do think some of the questions were vague and not really in the realm of a US Civics test.

I would be totally fine, though, with a real US Civics test being a requirement to vote.
    The test would need to have thousands of questions though, and everyone would get a few randomly from each section.

I got 28 out of 33.

You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Lol, I missed that one too, was a bit embarrassed to admit it until someone else did
    Me too LOL!

Other ones I missed...

International trade and specialization most often lead to which of the following?
    Your Answer: a decrease in a nation’s economic growth in the long term
    Correct Answer: an increase in a nation’s productivity

In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:
    Your Answer: override the Supreme Court’s decisions by gaining three-quarter majorities in both houses of Congress
    Correct Answer: appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views

On the taxes one I saw it as "Had the Government always only speant what it brought in in taxes..." for some reason... maybe in my dreams. I also, fealt dumb on the Roosevelt question as well, I just kinda pencil whipped the first answer that "looked right".
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast