Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tebow makes his way into politics

Tebow makes his way into politics

Well not in a direct way, but his name is being used to distinguish between some groups they are trying to reach. A friend in SC told me he's been getting push polling calls for the upcoming primary, with the first question some of the polls asking being "How do you feel about Tim Tebow?" He was thinking it's being use to determine if a voter has an evangelical slant to their voting or not (Perry poll?).

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Sports is always a good way to break the ice.

That’s just nuts! I feel bad for him to be dragged into this.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Sports is always a good way to break the ice.
    That could be a good reason as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    That’s just nuts! I feel bad for him to be dragged into this.
    You feel bad for Tebow? Just think about poor LAGC, just the thought of Tebow's name being used in a Republican primary is going to send his blood pressure into dangerous levels...

Well, keep in mind, he already inserted himself into politics in a pretty fierce way during that Super Bowl ad a couple years ago, sponsored by that right-wing hate-group: Focus on the Family.

In that ad, his mom claimed that her doctor recommended she abort him because they expected a still-birth. The thing is, abortion was illegal in the Philippines at the time, which makes her story doubtful.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he was allowing right-wing political groups to use his name to push-poll their agendas. What a lot of Christians don't realize though is how off-putting Tim Tebow is to non-Christians. His ostentatious displays of piety really turn non-believers off to the Christian message. If their goal it to try to reach out and "save more souls," flaunting Tim Tebow around is one hell of a terrible P.R. strategy.

It's just one more part of the reason non-believers are the fastest growing religious minority for 20 years running.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Is this the ad you're talking about, the evil anti abortion political ad you're referring to? The ad that never mentioned abortion?

Sort of funny you calling his mother a liar though, I mean "you" with all your known ethical issues, maybe you ought to stick to discussing what you can prove...

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Well, keep in mind, he already inserted himself into politics in a pretty fierce way during that Super Bowl ad a couple years ago, sponsored by that right-wing hate-group: Focus on the Family.

In that ad, his mom claimed that her doctor recommended she abort him because they expected a still-birth. The thing is, abortion was illegal in the Philippines at the time, which makes her story doubtful.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he was allowing right-wing political groups to use his name to push-poll their agendas. What a lot of Christians don't realize though is how off-putting Tim Tebow is to non-Christians. His ostentatious displays of piety really turn non-believers off to the Christian message. If their goal it to try to reach out and "save more souls," flaunting Tim Tebow around is one hell of a terrible P.R. strategy.

It's just one more part of the reason non-believers are the fastest growing religious minority for 20 years running.
    Seriously, you have to be one of the dumbest people I have ever interacted with. I don't mean that as an insult either, just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Seriously, you have to be one of the dumbest people I have ever interacted with. I don\'t mean that as an insult either, just an observation.
    Feel free to correct me if anything I said was inaccurate.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Wrong on it being a political ad (ran in 2010 an off year election year and Jan at that), wrong on what you said the mother said in the ad, wrong that focus in the family is a right wing hate group (although I can give you that if it's an opinion but no way is it fact), probably wrong in him allowing his name to be used (I'd bet $100 no permission was asked or given), the rest was pretty much opinion so I can give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Wrong on it being a political ad (ran in 2010 an off year election year and Jan at that)
    Do you deny that Focus on the Family is a political group? Why do you think Pro-Choice groups so vehemently opposed the ad if there wasn't an underlying political message behind it? Go to their web-site (if you dare) and prepare to be shocked by what you see.

wrong on what you said the mother said in the ad,
    It wasn't so much the ad itself, but the web-site it was urging people to visit, that had her whole story.

wrong that focus in the family is a right wing hate group (although I can give you that if it's an opinion but no way is it fact)
    They are listed as a hate-group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. They despise LGBT folks and women, I don't know how much more hateful you can get.

probably wrong in him allowing his name to be used (I'd bet $100 no permission was asked or given),
    Well, I certainly don't see him speaking out and objecting to such tactics. I think its safe to say he doesn't mind.

The Southern Poverty Law Center thinks any group that does not go with the Dem line is a hate-group.

About 99% of what you say is inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    About 99% of what you say is inaccurate.
    Mmm-hmm. Which is why you can't refute anything that I've said...

You might start right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family
    Last edited by LAGC; 01-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Actually everything you wrote that was not opinion was pretty inaccurate, and I'll only give the opinions because it's sort of hard to refute those .

The ad does not mention abortion, it doesn't say anything political, he doesn't even go into the story you said it did.

Actually everything you wrote that was not opinion was pretty inaccurate, and I'll only give the opinions because it's sort of hard to refute those .

The ad does not mention abortion, it doesn't say anything political, he doesn't even go into the story you said it did.
    The very political web-site being pimped at the end of the ad went into all the details that I mentioned, including the mom's so-called "story" of how she almost aborted poor little Timmeh. They blatantly refrained from going into details in the ad, in order to avoid being banned for impropriety. The NFL usually steers clear of political messages being broadcast during the Superbowl, but that one slipped through.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    The very political web site? And those sites that oppose the ad and message are not very political? Give it a break. Christians can believe anything they want, the same as you. You are as bad as what you accuse "Bible thumpers" of being...and not smart enough by half.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    You feel bad for Tebow? Just think about poor LAGC, just the thought of Tebow's name being used in a Republican primary is going to send his blood pressure into dangerous levels...
    oh, I thought you were going to bring up how LAGC's logic that teebow loosing a football game was proof that there was no God means that teebow winning a football game was proof that there is a God.....

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

They are listed as a hate-group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. They despise LGBT folks and women, I don't know how much more hateful you can get.
    Really, they hate women? The southern poverty law center is a joke. Using their logic PETA is a hate group, because of their strong opposition to people that kill animals. Anyone that has a different moral take from the left is tagged as a "hate group" by the southern poverty law center.

If you want to see something more hateful than that, go re-read some of the stuff you've said around here about people that turn a profit or have more than you. Sending the government to take someone's stuff because they have more than you; now that's some real hate.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    The very political web site? And those sites that oppose the ad and message are not very political? Give it a break. Christians can believe anything they want, the same as you.
    It would be one thing if the television networks were consistent, allowing political messages from both sides. But that very same year they hosted that conservative Christian ad, they turned down an innocuous liberal Christian ad for the United Church of Christ, just because they said they were welcoming to gay people.

Some consistency would be nice.

About 99% of what you say is inaccurate. If you consider Focus on the Familiy a hate group then literally just about every single group out there is a hate group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast