Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We may be getting M1 Garands in, but US Govt is afraid of M1 Carbines

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Springfield was a few years ago, i don't think they're making them any more. I've had this one since 2008

NICE!!

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Davepool, my guess is your M1 is chambered in .308 Win.?

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Davepool, my guess is your M1 is chambered in .308 Win.?

Steve
    No, it's 30-06. It's #1432 of 1945 Iwo Jima commemoratives they made.

I had it listed for sale 2 years ago for $1750.00 ( what i paid for it) with everything you see plus 100 rounds of ammo, and got nothing but grief from ass holes who would email me 20 times telling me i was dreaming if i thought i could get what i paid for it, so someday it will belong to my grandaughter

I've never fired this one, but i met a guy at the range who had #1209 and was quite impressed how accurate it was
    Last edited by davepool; 01-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Springfield was a few years ago, i don't think they're making them any more. I've had this one since 2008

Saw one of those in a local shop last Saturday. I didn't care for the stock carving (nothing wrong with it just not my cup of tea) but overall it was a very nice looking rifle. IIRC SA has/had the receivers made at Lithgow.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 01-19-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Saw one of those in a local shop last Saturday. I didn't care for the stock carving (nothing wrong with it just not my cup of tea) but overall it was a very nice looking rifle. IIRC SA has/had the receivers made at Lithgow.
    Yep that's what i remember, cast rather than forged reciever.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Napots - isn't the .30 carbine an even smaller round than the 7.62x39, making it not much more powerful than a pistol round?
    When compared to rifle rounds, the .30 Carbine is indeed weak sauce, in a handgun... it is smokin' HOT. 1800 fps (Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" barrel) from a handgun! Looks like a .44 Mag but a very mild recoil. Makes the .32 H&R Magnum look anemic, nothing in the .32 handgun round group comes even close.
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 01-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Soldado View Post
    When compared to rifle rounds, the .30 Carbine is indeed weak sauce, in a handgun... it is smokin' HOT. 1800 fps (Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" barrel) from a handgun! Looks like a .44 Mag but a very mild recoil. Makes the .32 H&R Magnum look anemic, nothing in the .32 handgun round group comes even close.
    My late brother in-law had a RBH in .30 carbine, 7.5"bbl and a I recall it was a screamer! Even in that fairly large revolver the recoil was pretty snappy though by no means punishing. Don't recall it being particularly accurate but I also recall we were using WWII or Korean surplus ammo so that may have had something to do with it. Might be an interesting one to acquire and put some time and effort into load development?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12