Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "I just $%#@ shot myself"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Many moons ago I had picked up a Franken-1911. Saying it had a hair-trigger was putting it mildly.

Out at the range and knew it was way too light when I kept getting double-taps.

I don't even remember what I was doing but I was holding it at a funny angle and BOOM it went off and I felt the bullet whiz past my face.

That was one of those sit down and take a deep breath moments.

I had a CZ82 that had a problem with the safety, once when I took it off safe it fired. Luckily I was following the rule of having the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    wow....I carry a makarov. I know this will cause disagreement, but this is why I will not carry any weapon that must be cocked and locked. No glocks, no 1911's, High powers...none of it. DA, then SA for me thank you very much.

That just looks horrible....
    I'm seriously considering carrying my new Mak as well... kinda for the same reasons... but also it's thin compfy and conceals super good.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I agree. This douche bag just reinforces the liberal perception of all gun owners as stupid hicks. He has done more damage to responsible gun owners than the left could ever hope for.
    Are you not the smug one?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

There is nothing funny at all about an ND. Some of you will remember I had one Dec 31 2006. Took 4 months for me to retrain myself to touch my pinky to my thumb.
    I remember every day because my left arm/hand has NEVER been the same and NEVER will be.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Are you not the smug one?
    I was referring not to his first youtube post, but his "15 minutes" of fame interview on tosh.0. If you are around guns enough, odds are you will have at least one accidental discharge.

I had a AD/ND whatever it would be classified as once. If I remember right it was with a used HK USP9 I had gotten just a week before, apparently from what the smith said the cavity that houses the firing pin was full of crud. This made the firing pin stick out after firing and I was reloading, put in fresh magazine and in doing so somehow I dropped the damn thing. It hit the ground and the slide released and BAM, put a hole in the ground about 3 inches from my foot.

Very scary. I feel sorry for this guy.

I know some people say there is no such thing as a accidental discharge but seriously, even if I hadnt dropped it once I hit the slide release it would have went off anyways, nothing negligent about that, unless im missing a new rule about checking to make sure your firing pin isnt protruding before you reload.
    Last edited by Solidus-snake; 01-23-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Not me, this guy on Youtube.

Ow. It's it wrong to laugh at someone's ND into the leg?
    Laugh if you want... it's a free Country (at least for now).

Personally, I didn't find it funny... it's just a thing that can happen when a person isn't careful. I'm glad the guy wasn't badly hurt and I'm glad he posted his experience for us.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Won't play for me.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I carry a glock 23. I do own several .45's though. I don't carry that one because I am not very good with it. I feel comfortable with the 23. But I do agree with you on the 1911. (I know kinda contradictory.)
    I carry a 1911... but I carry it uncocked and unchambered. I don't trust "cocked 'n locked".

was_peacemaker
    Yeah, its not good when a person has an accident like this. Glad he was able to recover from it.

When I was 14 I had a accident with a high-powered CO2 pistol that required surgery on my hand.

As far as my adult life with real guns I have been really cautious at the range. Needless to say that little BB pistol taught me a lesson. Yet, I have had friends at the range who are not to careful.

1. When I was 18 and my buddies cousin shot a 20 gauge right over my head in an attempt to hit a pigeon clay.

2. Trespassers shooting on my grandfathers property in a direction I was doing some work.

3. A fellow at a public range was clearing a jam from his 9mm Star pistol with it pointed down the line where the rest of us shooters were sitting.

4. A friend of mine swung a HK-91 clone backwards towards me with his finger on the trigger in excitement after he hit a target.

5. Same friend charged an AK not paying attention to where the barrel was pointed well it was pointed at me. (That was the last time he was ever taken to a range by anyone including myself.)

6. Last summer an old friend from high school came out shooting with some of my friends and myself. He dropped the forward assist on his AR-15 on a full mag while the barrel was pointed at my face.

7. About a month after that while I am clearing targets on the range, another old friend of mine has an accidental discharge with an AK, while the barrel was pointed skyward at a 45 degree angle.

Needless to say I tend to shoot by myself these days, on my own farm nestled in the woods in between two large hills. You can't blame me. LOL

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Many moons ago I had picked up a Franken-1911. Saying it had a hair-trigger was putting it mildly.

Out at the range and knew it was way too light when I kept getting double-taps.

I don't even remember what I was doing but I was holding it at a funny angle and BOOM it went off and I felt the bullet whiz past my face.

That was one of those sit down and take a deep breath moments.
    Dang dude! That's what I call a time to sit down and thank the Lord.

Something else I wondered. It looks like he puts his finger on the trigger as it is drawn and then flips the safety off, so finger is on trigger as safety comes off which leads to the ND.

That can't be common practice with a 1911 right? Everyone I have seen draw a 1911 takes the safety off as it comes up and puts finger on trigger after it's pointed at the target.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Something else I wondered. It looks like he puts his finger on the trigger as it is drawn and then flips the safety off, so finger is on trigger as safety comes off which leads to the ND.

That can't be common practice with a 1911 right? Everyone I have seen draw a 1911 takes the safety off as it comes up and puts finger on trigger after it's pointed at the target.
    I see your point and noticed this. With a 1911 I would have it out with the safety off, and then finger on the trigger.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Dang dude! That's what I call a time to sit down and thank the Lord.

Oh I can assure you I did that several times.

That's not the half of it. It was a range several miles west of town that mainly got used around hunting season, and it wasn't hunting season. What's more this was back in the day before cell phones and I had took off without telling anybody where I was going.

If it wouldn't have killed me out right who knows how long I would have laid there wounded.

You bet I thanked the Lord.

This is why carrying Israeli is often a good idea. As well as fancy holsters sometimes not being such a good idea. That being said, if the round came out and no profuse bleeding or articulation (ligaments or bone damage) issues were evident, the hospital trip can be forgone. You don't want a round near bone since bones, especially joint areas, produce synovial fluid wich will leach lead from the round into your system and you may die from blood poisoning.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    wow....I carry a makarov. I know this will cause disagreement, but this is why I will not carry any weapon that must be cocked and locked. No glocks, no 1911's, High powers...none of it. DA, then SA for me thank you very much.

That just looks horrible....
    You can't cock and lock a Glock. You either have a round chambered or you don't. If you do then keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot something. Frankly you would be as likely to shoot yourself with a revolver as a Glock. Both would require pulling the triger back to accomplish. Which i see from actually watching the video, is EXACTLY what he did. He's drawing fast and he pulls the trigger on his way up with the 1911. The gun didn't fail, the shooter failed. This is why quick draw is hazardous and why it should be practiced with simunitions / rubber or wax bullets powered by a shotgun shell primer. They hurt, but they don't do the same level of damage.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-24-2012 at 09:39 PM.

His training took over... he called mommy first, then 911? DipShit.

I have a Black Hawk Serpa holster and love it, Trigger finger slides naturally over the release button and when you draw the weapon, the finger should be in the position on the side of the slide (not the trigger), once drawn you move your finger down to the trigger in a smooth action for firing.

This guy's video seemed a little John Wayned type rushed to draw for the camera...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

It is very funny when wannabe operators like this shoot themselves. He was lucky he survived, he is lucky he did not shoot a bystander.

He is nothing more than a joke, and I think it is hilarious. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Anyone remember the cop that shot himself in front of the class. He was a trained professional.

I have been shooting for over 30 years and never have I once had a ND.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

That guy is so bloody lucky that is was a full metal jacket and not a hollowpoint. An HP might have blown his knee out - permanently.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12