Thread: Just a fun thread, a variation of the what if you could go back in time question...

Just a fun thread, a variation of the what if you could go back in time question...

I had a guy ask me at work last week a variation of the old what if you could go back in time and redo your life question... What if you could go back to 20 years old but only take 3 pieces of information back with you.

You could pick 3 things to know and that's all. You go back to being 20 years old with everything else but the 3 things you picked being forgotten, what would you pick? Would you pick knowing about 911 or some terrible event and save those lives, would it be all about money or some benefit to you, would you want to know that a loved one was going to come down with an illness that could of been cured... How would you balance that one out.

Buy Gold, Platinum,Silver.
    Get more education.
    Buy land.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

was_peacemaker
    Lets see I was 20 in 01'

I would try to warn someone about 9/11.
    Quit smoking cigarettes then. (No telling how much money I could have saved)
    Gone back to school earlier.

Probably mostly money stuff.

While I'd like to do the whole prevent 9/11 thing, I don't think it would be possible, while you might be able to change some small parts of it, overall it seems like you simply wouldn't be believed and likely end up in jail.

I would have a couple names to cross off my "future" love life as well, really wish I had skipped that marriage.

Seems sad that you hit a certain age and things are either ok or you have a ton of regrets...or a bit of both maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Probably mostly money stuff.

While I'd like to do the whole prevent 9/11 thing, I don't think it would be possible, while you might be able to change some small parts of it, overall it seems like you simply wouldn't be believed and likely end up in jail.
    I thought you'd actually have to use two pieces of information to stop 911. Use one before 911 that would prove you have some insight (say the attack on the USS Cole) then you might get someone to listen to you about the WTC. Of course then you're using 2 of your pieces of information instead of helping yourself. Another thing you could do is to use one choice to make so much money that you could do something yourself on 911 (going with the line money is power).

Do you onky get to know three things total? Or three things on top of what you already new when you were 20?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Stock picks would probably be enough.

Within the last 20 years you could have gotten filthy rich with the right tech stocks if you knew when to get in and when to get out.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I wouldn't go back regardless of the knowledge I could take if it meant forgetting about everything and everyone I know now. If I did it's possible that I would have never meet and marry my wife which means I wouldn't have my daughter, this house or all the memories we shared. NO thanks. Nothing I could gain would be worth what I would loose.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Hahaha not much I can say, I was 20 just almost 3 years ago. However..

NOT take out a certain loan
    Hold off on buying a house until I had better options
    Start taking classes since I wouldnt have a house bill to pay on.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Do you onky get to know three things total? Or three things on top of what you already new when you were 20?
    Only three things total, everything would be as it was when you were 20 is how we played it at work.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Stock picks would probably be enough.

Within the last 20 years you could have gotten filthy rich with the right tech stocks if you knew when to get in and when to get out.
    That is true knowing to buy is almost worthless if you don't when to sell I guess you'd have to ask would having the knowledge to buy microsoft stock in 1993 and selling in 1999 be one piece of knowledge or 2 (buying one, selling another?)
    Last edited by mriddick; 01-23-2012 at 09:44 AM.