Thread: Coolest Clock in the World (Osaka Station City)

Smile Coolest Clock in the World (Osaka Station City)

I wonder how long until they make one of these things miniaturized, like a desktop version you could stare at all day and not get any work done?

All it would need is a small water reservoir and a pump...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Neat although at the reported 1.04 million it's easy to see why Japan has the money issues they do.

Reminds me of something my dad would have come up with.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Neat although at the reported 1.04 million it's easy to see why Japan has the money issues they do.
    Japan's biggest money issue just may be the money we owe them. Just read this morning our debt to Japan has topped $1 trillion.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    Japan's biggest money issue just may be the money we owe them. Just read this morning our debt to Japan has topped $1 trillion.

Wart
    We have a bigger concern which is when they decide to stop buying our debt. I'm sure Japan and the rest of the world will be happy to collect interest on their money for eternity.

That thing must contain a ton of solenoid valves. I can't imagine that they are cheap. A controller to controll a hundred or so of them probably costs a few bucks too.

I would think you'd have to use distilled water too or risk gumming up your valves with mineral deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

I would think you'd have to use distilled water too or risk gumming up your valves with mineral deposits.
    Exactly. Waay too much work for just something pretty IMO.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    That thing must contain a ton of solenoid valves. I can't imagine that they are cheap. A controller to controll a hundred or so of them probably costs a few bucks too.

Louisville had a simple fountain for a time, supposedly the upkeep was over 40 grand a year. I bet that thing runs over a 100 yearly. If it's there in 10 years I'll be surprised, think of it as a quarter million/yr clock so a few people on their way to catch a flight can be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Louisville had a simple fountain for a time, supposedly the upkeep was over 40 grand a year. I bet that thing runs over a 100 yearly. If it's there in 10 years I'll be surprised, think of it as a quarter million/yr clock so a few people on their way to catch a flight can be impressed.
    Hmm, I have never seen this fountain. Where is it?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Hmm, I have never seen this fountain. Where is it?
    Down town at the riverfront, it's been idle due to cost concerns for sometime now (5-6 years?). I think the main pump let go and to fix it was just too expensive coupled with the yearly maintenance costs.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

I wonder how long until they make one of these things miniaturized, like a desktop version you could stare at all day and not get any work done?

All it would need is a small water reservoir and a pump...
    Wonder why they didn't do it in color? Would be easy enough...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Saw something similar on the Science Channel a while back. They used a fine mist for the projected 3D images. They were using the mist screen to show movies.

Sounds like an expensive projection screen...........
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It's pretty from a technological point of view, but I was thinking how much cheaper, and with similar effect, an AV projector hooked up to a computer and displayed on that back wall would be. With the computer, it would be a snap to change the clock into any form you wanted. A nice screen saver, in color would be almost as captivating, too.

(I know, they're just showing off and trying to impress tourists, so the computer idea would be rather beneath them at this point.)

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It's pretty from a technological point of view, but I was thinking how much cheaper, and with similar effect, an AV projector hooked up to a computer and displayed on that back wall would be. With the computer, it would be a snap to change the clock into any form you wanted. A nice screen saver, in color would be almost as captivating, too.

(I know, they're just showing off and trying to impress tourists, so the computer idea would be rather beneath them at this point.)
    You're right. A computer screen, though more practical, wouldn't get the oohs and ahhs and delight tourists in the same manner. Considering how much some of OUR man made tourist attractions costs, this doesn't seem outlandish at all.