Thread: Charleston, SC

Charleston, SC

Any members there? I'm traveling there on business. Where to eat? What to do? Thanks!!!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I don't live there, but if you like to drink and eat, it's a great place. Every store, downtown, is either a bar, restaurant, or art gallery. And, the art isn't cheap.

I went there a few years back and wasn't overly inpressed with the place. There was one restaurant, downtown, that looked like a renovated factory and it had two floors. That was pretty neat, but other than that, I was unimpressed. Not planning on going back.

There was a Saturday flea market that was fairly interesting, but it wasn't very big and I'm not sure if it would be open this time of year.

Even Fort Sumpter was a let-down. Hopefully, they've added something else to make it worth staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I don't live there, but if you like to drink and eat, it's a great place. Every store, downtown, is either a bar, restaurant, or art gallery. And, the art isn't cheap.

I went there a few years back and wasn't overly inpressed with the place. There was one restaurant, downtown, that looked like a renovated factory and it had two floors. That was pretty neat, but other than that, I was unimpressed. Not planning on going back.

There was a Saturday flea market that was fairly interesting, but it wasn't very big and I'm not sure if it would be open this time of year.

Even Fort Sumpter was a let-down. Hopefully, they've added something else to make it worth staying there.
    Thanks. My interests range from tobacco shops to good bbq.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Born there, raised there (East of the Cooper River in Mt Pleasant and on Sullivan's Island), family has been there for about 300 years. I currently am based in Asia for my job, but I get home once or twice per year.

It's the #2 travel destination in North America according to Conde Nast and attracts many visitors. You can read more about it via a quick search than I could type in an hour here.

Tobacco shop...I don't smoke and have little to add here. Like many places in the US now, smoking inside bars and restaurants is prohibited. I think there is an exception for tobacco shops and I think there is some specialty cigar place downtown.

BBQ - Bessinger's is a well known local bbq family that has some outlets and where locals eat. There are smaller places also.

Do you like seafood? Oysters in particular? Our local oysters are of a species that only grows from VA to GA and are very briney and tasty. You can eat them raw, but we usually steam them and eat them at oyster roasts. There are places that have great deals on all you can eat local oysters.

Interested in Naval History? The USS Yorktown (the 2nd one, obviously) carrier is there and has a submarine (the USS Clamagore) there also which you can see.

I like walking around downtown's little lanes and alleys, and my guests always enjoy that. There are some cool rooftop bars / restaurants downtown with good harbor views.

Walking over the Cooper River Bridge has good views (very nice pedestrian path).

The Citadel, my alma mater, has a Friday afternoon retreat parade where the entire 2000 strong Corps of Cadets does a review every week, with the band and pipes. If you can catch that, I think it's cool. Maybe I'm biased, having participated in it a hundred times or so.

You can do inshore or offshore (I think inshore would be a lot better this time of year) fishing charters for as little as a few hours at reasonable prices.

Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant (across the Cooper River Bridge from downtown Charleston) is an area where a few fishing / shrimping boats are based and also some creekfront restaurants, plus a hotel (Shem Creek Inn, our business travelers to our office always choose to stay there). Red's Icehouse is a good place for a beer, some local seafood and to watch a game if one is on.

If you are into golf (I am not) there are lots of places to play.

If you have specific questions, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Born there, raised there (East of the Cooper River in Mt Pleasant and on Sullivan's Island), family has been there for about 300 years. I currently am based in Asia for my job, but I get home once or twice per year.

It's the #2 travel destination in North America according to Conde Nast and attracts many visitors. You can read more about it via a quick search than I could type in an hour here.

Tobacco shop...I don't smoke and have little to add here. Like many places in the US now, smoking inside bars and restaurants is prohibited. I think there is an exception for tobacco shops and I think there is some specialty cigar place downtown.

BBQ - Bessinger's is a well known local bbq family that has some outlets and where locals eat. There are smaller places also.

Do you like seafood? Oysters in particular? Our local oysters are of a species that only grows from VA to GA and are very briney and tasty. You can eat them raw, but we usually steam them and eat them at oyster roasts. There are places that have great deals on all you can eat local oysters.

Interested in Naval History? The USS Yorktown (the 2nd one, obviously) carrier is there and has a submarine (the USS Clamagore) there also which you can see.

I like walking around downtown's little lanes and alleys, and my guests always enjoy that. There are some cool rooftop bars / restaurants downtown with good harbor views.

Walking over the Cooper River Bridge has good views (very nice pedestrian path).

The Citadel, my alma mater, has a Friday afternoon retreat parade where the entire 2000 strong Corps of Cadets does a review every week, with the band and pipes. If you can catch that, I think it's cool. Maybe I'm biased, having participated in it a hundred times or so.

You can do inshore or offshore (I think inshore would be a lot better this time of year) fishing charters for as little as a few hours at reasonable prices.

Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant (across the Cooper River Bridge from downtown Charleston) is an area where a few fishing / shrimping boats are based and also some creekfront restaurants, plus a hotel (Shem Creek Inn, our business travelers to our office always choose to stay there). Red's Icehouse is a good place for a beer, some local seafood and to watch a game if one is on.

If you are into golf (I am not) there are lots of places to play.

If you have specific questions, just ask.
    Oysters, HELL YES! Thats a bunch of great info. Thanks very much.

The USS Yorktown (WWII Aircraft Carrier) is permanently moored there... that's kind of neat to tour and walk through those spaces and see what ship life was like back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    The USS Yorktown (WWII Aircraft Carrier) is permanently moored there... that's kind of neat to tour and walk through those spaces and see what ship life was like back then.
    Yes, if I wasn't clear above, you can tour all inside the Yorktown and the Clamagore (not that there is much space in a sub!). The Yorktown has various aircraft from WWII (Wildcat, Avenger) to modern (F-18) on display in the hangar and on the flight deck.

There is a WWII destroyer, the USS Laffey, which was being repaired and is now being returned to the exhibit but I am sure it will take a while before it is open to visitors again. The Medal of Honor museum is located on the Yorktown.

Forum Administrator Prometheus168's Avatar

My Sister lives near there.... I visit 1-2 times a year... if you like to play golf then you are in paradise.... May I recommend Patriots Point Golf Course, decent rates but one hell of a view.

If you want some GREAT SEAFOOD eat at Hymans Seafood.

If you want to do some shooting run up to ATP Gunshop in Summerville, SC (1/2 hour). Last I checked they rent full autos, suppressed, the works...

Rusty
    GIG'EM AGGIES!
    Lieutenant of Correctional Officers- Texas Dept. Of Criminal Justice.
    Firefighter- Calvert Fire Department

Formerly know as Prometheus606

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm back after months. I didn't know if the site went down again or if I was banned cause nobody likes me. Either way, I've been too busy with eviction and moving and employment and school to check the place out anyway.

I live in Charleston and always have. I like Crosby's for seafood, the oysters come out the Folly river. Good BBQ and good beer can be had at Smoky Oak on James Island or Fiery Ron's on hwy 17.

You probably done come and gone, this thread is so old, but I hope you enjoy Charleston anyway.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

No FP, I didn't go yet. Thanks for the reply.

I was born in Charleston, but haven't been there in 50+ yrs., so I'm no help.
    My brother and his wife went back 15 yrs. ago and loved it.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

The old Slave Market in downtown Charleston is pretty cool. It's a sort of 19th Century mall featuring vendor stalls selling all kinds of stuff. I have a nice hand-tooled leather wallet I bought there several years ago that was made by convict labor. My wife has relatives that live nearby, I think ChuckTown is a pretty nice little city:
    http://www.goodlifereview.com/the-ch...charleston-sc/

The Charleston history nerd in me needs to correct that statement above. You're blending too different places together. To be fair, it's a common mistake.

The City Market, downtown on Market St. Slaves were never sold there. It's still a mix of indoor and outdoor market stalls to this day.
    http://thecharlestoncitymarket.com/

and

The Old Slave Market, downtown on Chalmers St, which is a museum now.
    http://www.charleston-sc.gov/dept/content.aspx?nid=1469

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    No FP, I didn't go yet. Thanks for the reply.
    Our local oyster season includes, technically, all the months with an "R". But, Sept and April are often too warm (increased water temperature = increased bacteria count = closed oyster beds). So, if you want some good local oysters, I hope you are going this month or next.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    The Charleston history nerd in me needs to correct that statement above. You're blending too different places together. To be fair, it's a common mistake.

The City Market, downtown on Market St. Slaves were never sold there. It's still a mix of indoor and outdoor market stalls to this day.
    http://thecharlestoncitymarket.com/

and

The Old Slave Market, downtown on Chalmers St, which is a museum now.
    http://www.charleston-sc.gov/dept/content.aspx?nid=1469
    Regardless, I was bitterly disappointed there were no slaves for sale at either location during my sojurns there.

My wife's relatives feel the same way.

Well, you went to the OLD SLAVE MART MUSEUM. Now, if you had gone to the NEW SLAVE MULTI SUPERCENTER, out off of the 3rd exit on I26...