Thread: Justice Department tells FBI, ATF to work together

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Justice Department tells FBI, ATF to work together

Justice Department tells FBI, ATF to work together

(AP) – 17 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has settled a turf war between two federal law enforcement agencies.

A recent audit by the Justice Department's Office of Inspector General found nationwide conflicts between the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives over which agency is in charge for federal explosives investigations.

Acting Deputy Attorney General Gary G. Grindler wrote a memo to FBI Director Robert Mueller and Ken Melson, currently the top-ranking official at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, laying out the new framework.

Grindler's eight-page memo calls for the FBI to be the lead agency for domestic terrorism explosives investigations as well as explosives probes with a link to international terrorism or weapons of mass destruction. ATF will be the lead agency for everything else in the explosives realm.

Grindler also ordered the two agencies to do a better job of coordinating their work on explosives investigations.

The new document says that the two agencies will develop a plan by Nov. 1 to consolidate explosives training, with the goal of starting joint training by early next February.

Effective immediately, the FBI will put all information relating to explosives incidents into the Bombing and Arson Tracking System, which ATF had designated as the consolidated database for tracking explosives investigations, Grindler ordered.

And a "Lab Board" of representatives from both agencies is to develop recommendations by Nov. 1 to integrate resources of explosives laboratories that each agency has and reduce turnaround times for forensic analysis.

The Associated Press obtained copies of Grindler's memo and accompanying documents. ABC News first reported on them Tuesday.

To underscore the point that the two agencies need to improve their relationship, Grindler attached a copy of a 6-year-old Justice Department memo that covers many of the same points Grindler covered in his Aug. 3 directive.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...mrTOQD9HLFUTG4

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Wink

In other words.......

"Gawddammit.......the Gestapo WILL work together with the SS....if not, you'll have to answer to the Fuhrer...

So basically the justice department told them to stop pissing in the sandbox and share their toys?

This can only end in tears...

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    In other words.......

"Gawddammit.......the Gestapo WILL work together with the SS....if not, you'll have to answer to the Fuhrer...
    It's nothing to laugh at but damn that's good...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I don't see a problem, fire the senior agents of the FBI, DEA, BATF and fire all the administrative people in the DEA and the BATF, give them all FBI badges and make it one agency. Close down all the unneeded administrative offices of the DEA and BATF and we save millions. Eliminate the NICS and we save time and millions more. If a felon gets caught with a gun or explosives the sentence is mandatory and untouchable, no parole, no early release. With the hardcore locked up till they are old and toothless we save millions more. Make the border patrol a branch of the FBI. 2 strikes and you are out of the loop Jose, see that big rock, see that little hammer, start making little rocks for the concrete we are going to mix up for this 20' tall 20' wide wall. If Jose's family hasn't paid his way out of prison by then he gets to help dig the moat. Moatfilled with Barracuda and Man-O-War jelly fish.

Then the next wall with the towers and gun mounts. Then he gets to plant the garden between the moat and the walls, raspberry bushes, cactus, poison ivy, nettles, Camel Thorn is a favorite of mine.

Maybe a good thing I am not king.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    I don't see a problem, fire the senior agents of the FBI, DEA, BATF and fire all the administrative people in the DEA and the BATF, give them all FBI badges and make it one agency. Close down all the unneeded administrative offices of the DEA and BATF and we save millions. Eliminate the NICS and we save time and millions more. If a felon gets caught with a gun or explosives the sentence is mandatory and untouchable, no parole, no early release. With the hardcore locked up till they are old and toothless we save millions more. Make the border patrol a branch of the FBI. 2 strikes and you are out of the loop Jose, see that big rock, see that little hammer, start making little rocks for the concrete we are going to mix up for this 20' tall 20' wide wall. If Jose's family hasn't paid his way out of prison by then he gets to help dig the moat. Moatfilled with Barracuda and Man-O-War jelly fish.

Then the next wall with the towers and gun mounts. Then he gets to plant the garden between the moat and the walls, raspberry bushes, cactus, poison ivy, nettles, Camel Thorn is a favorite of mine.

Maybe a good thing I am not king.
    Sure, but too bad you're not president...

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    At least state dinners wouldn't be replete with $600 steaks and $1200 bottles of wine and I wouldn't be going on vacation every other week. Hope the King of Morocco and the Prime Minister of England like New England Roast beef and good strong coffee. Working lunch might be KFC or Arby's and the choice of their soft drink.

If Pelosi or Reid try to commandeer an air force plane, load it with booze, friends and lobbyists then take off for a long weekend at wherever I'd let the pilots take off than bail out. The loss of the planes would be worth it. If the president flies coach everybody flies coach.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.