Thread: need help with I.D.ing my ak

need help with I.D.ing my ak

ok fellas im new to the ak world and to forums so please be patient. im trying to figure out what the history on my ak is. its a norinco 56s-1 underfolder with a blued bolt carrier and a purple bolt. but here is where it gets confusing. first the bayonet lug has been professionaly ground off (definately no angle grinder job). then the muzzel brake is just a thread protector nut. finaly the sn# reads 1mso xxxxx or imso xxxxx, but there is a space between the 0 and the number,(the other sn's do not have a 0 in front of them and they all match). thanks for any help on this one.

guinness

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the Board!!! Hope you hang around...

Imanaknut is your guy on Chinese, but I'll give it a guess.

Sounds like a caught in customs Model 56s-1, Yes a Chinese underfolder, but it should have had a thumbhole stock of some kind. Did you buy it in this condition? IIRC, some of the early ones were sold with the original stock in the box with the rifle like the Yugos were. I'd venture that it has been restored to the original condition by a previous owner. The muzzle nut is correct for most Chinese AK's.

BTW, is it a muzzle nut or just a round thread protector? And if round is there signs it was tack welded in place? I've had two with the round thread protector and just a slight twist and it is off exposing usable threads.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 01-28-2012 at 09:28 AM.

thanks for the reply ,i actually bought it in 92 second hand and its been in my safe for years ,i just now decided to reasurch it . it did come with the the underfolder and it does appear to have a half ass weld on the collar witch i was able to unscrew with relative ease. i cleand the weld off with a small file in about 30 sec. now you cant realy even tell it was there. so this rifel falls in the post ban era? and how about the blued bolt carrier and purple bolt?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'd call it transitional period. Bush I stopped most Chinese imports after they got caught bring in FA AK's and trying to sell them black market. There was a period while the ATF floundered around trying to define "sporting" and it just depended on what agent was in charge as to what happened between customs and the retail shelf.

'Nut will be along, he is the expert on things Chinese... I was the CETME/G3/HK moderator until the original board crashed...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Is there a "1" in front of the "56S-1"? By the other description, it sounds like one of the rifles that was just getting out of port when the Bush1 ban went into effect. ATF wasn't sure what the rules were, so they had the bayo lug ears ground off, the "1" added in front of the "56S-1" to change the name to make it less evil, and many underfolders were just put into the folded position and had the Bush-hole stock put over it.

By the serial number and blued bolt, but rifle itself is one of the early models as they went to an unfinished bolt later on. I have seen several early Norincos that were "in port" for quite a while, and got stuck when the ban was imposed. It is really sad that the importers were forced to modify these rifles before being able to get them out of port, but our regulations state that being in port is not considered "in country" yet.

The muzzle device was put over the threads to keep the owner from installing an "evil" flash hider which for some reason Bush1 thought would make the owner an immediate baby killer. Bush1 was a true, stupid anti-firearm jerk.

Many people who bought the rifles like yours immediately cut the welds off the muzzle device, and tossed the bush-hole stock returning it to almost original condition. The lack of bayo lugs and the extra "1" in front of the serial number is a give-away.

The MS0 was the model designation of the very early 56S actually before 56S was stamped on the rifle. The Chinese were trying to break into the US firearms market as they realize the potential for sales, but because of the US feelings toward "those commie weapons" they weren't able to get a good foothold before the bans finally stopped all Chinese imports.

thanks guys that clears it up quite a bit . it does not have a "1" infront of the 56. all this being said ,is this an every day shooter or does it have any value to it ,beeing a post ban firearm. im personaly not a collector,( i like to play with my toys). i have shot it a bit but nothing that caused any real wear and tear on it. id call it about 98%
    Last edited by guinness; 01-28-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Because of the cut down bayo and probably weld marks on the front sight, I would say go enjoy it. The fact that it is a part of our sick firearm history is irrelevant in this case because the rifle has already been modified from it's ATF modified state. I personally would have no problem taking it to the range and enjoying a true AKMS.

One other thing, look very closely at the top of the plate that covers the rear of the receiver. You are looking for signs that there was a rear tang welded to it that would hold the bush-hole stock in place. Most of the post-ban rifles with underfolding receivers that were converted back to pre-bush1 condition would have had to have had that tang removed. It usually would leave a slight mark at the very top right behind the rim that holds the receiver cover in place.

actually the top cover has a differant # on it i thought it was an import #, now it makes sence the last owner probably replaced it due to the tang. thank you very much for all the help

guinness