Thread: Will a larger Special Forces community remain "Special"?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Will a larger Special Forces community remain "Special"?

Been reading and hearing a lot lately about a smaller military overall but a larger Special Forces community. On Fox News the other day they had a former SEAL on and he stated that SPECOPS aren't intended to "hold ground" and that a smaller Army and Marine Corp could be a problem in that regard.

Based on my knowledge of Special Forces, (family members and friends/children of friends both active and retired) as well as books, TV and movies these communities have traditionally been fairly small, elite, highly trained and highly dedicated/motivated. Will or perhaps more importantly can they remain so with double of triple the personnel?

Just seems to me that due to the type of individual needed and the degree and difficulty of training, SEALS, Green Beret and Marine Recon have always HAD to be small because the fact is, only so many can cut the mustard. If that's true can you make substantial increases in these elements without having to lower standards?

Perhaps some of our members with more intimate knowledge of these elite communities can chime in?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

My son tells me the USAF has levels of SF, I would expect the top group will always be "special" enough for everything

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    My son tells me the USAF has levels of SF, I would expect the top group will always be "special" enough for everything
    Yes, they have PJ's, Combat Air Controllers and their Airwing that supports Spec Ops missions. I also didn't mention Delta, UDT, SBS and others that probably fall into that category.

I just feel that historically these groups were small for a reason and a dramatic increase in size can't be as simple as opening up more billets in those specialities. There are only so many individuals in our society that have what it takes to make the grade. Everyone one that I am acquainted with in SF has something about them that you don't see in the vast majority of us. That "something" can't be taught, it has to be there from birth.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Smile

Well there are 100K+ "Special agents" working for the Feds.....just how "special" they all are...no one knows

Maybe the military will split SF into two camps, SF and ESF.......the E is for that little bit extra.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!