Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super VEPR 308

Super VEPR 308

I've been thinking about buying a super vepr but I cannot find anything in the way of reviews? Pros? Cons? Etc?
    Likes dislikes???

Mags
    Accuracy???

Anything !??

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The Super Vepr .308 is a fairly rare rifle, and to be honest I don't remember ever seeing a review on one.

That said, it is on my short list of must buys. I too would like to hear first hand accounts of life with one, and where to get affordable magazines.

I got a super vepr .308. I think I have posted pics of it somewhere in another forum. If you want I can post more pics of it.

I have never had any issues with mine. The only drawback is the weight and the trigger pull. I have ventilated the gas tube on it as the darn thing threw the casings into another zip code. They are very accurate with the right ammo. Mine has shown 1 moa with the nato sniper ammo. Worst 100m grouping I have had was in the 3" area using Sellier Belliot ammo. Another thing, it mess up the spend brass. You can reload them, but they got some bumps and scratches. I full sized some of them and tried them in a Sauer 202. It was impossible to chamber them. There might be individual differences, but I would mark used casing as Vepr only. If I remember right it has a rather slow twist compared to most 308's, I can check that out to be sure.

Feel free to ask any questions...
    Religion... mans victory over common sense...........

Quote Originally Posted by Hedning View Post
    I got a super vepr .308. I think I have posted pics of it somewhere in another forum. If you want I can post more pics of it.

I have never had any issues with mine. The only drawback is the weight and the trigger pull. I have ventilated the gas tube on it as the darn thing threw the casings into another zip code. They are very accurate with the right ammo. Mine has shown 1 moa with the nato sniper ammo. Worst 100m grouping I have had was in the 3" area using Sellier Belliot ammo. Another thing, it mess up the spend brass. You can reload them, but they got some bumps and scratches. I full sized some of them and tried them in a Sauer 202. It was impossible to chamber them. There might be individual differences, but I would mark used casing as Vepr only. If I remember right it has a rather slow twist compared to most 308's, I can check that out to be sure.

Feel free to ask any questions...
    Pics would be nice, if possible.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I've wanted one for quite some time.

Issues I can see would be expensive mags, and it might be a tad heavy with the wood and heavy barrel.

Other than that? My biggest gripe is I DON'T OWN ONE!

Ill post pics as soon as I can. Im going to Karlstad, Sweden tomorrow. So I wount be able to post anything before Monday or so.

Ill post pics as soon as I can. Im going to Karlstad, Sweden tomorrow. So I wount be able to post anything before Monday or so.
    Have a safe trip and we're looking forward to some pics.
    BTW, take some pics of Sweden and post them if possible. Thanks.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I have a VEPR .308, not super... got it a SAR3 and a Milled MAK90 from a pawn shop for $1300/$1350... I didn't know the prices had gone up so much.

Gunbroker has a super listed at $1500 no researve: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=274728443

Who is making the best 20 .308 VEPR round mags? Csspecs, Promag?

Ok... here`s the images. I have seen better photos, but that was the best I could do with that crappy light...First image is one of the images Iv posted here before. Wonder where that bipod is right now....

The scope is an IOR 2,5-10x42/MP-8/IL. Rather good optics, but way to narrow field of view. And the illuminated reticule is too bright. Should be a night option there. The silencer is a BR Reflex t-8. Very very good, but heavy. Like 2.2 pounds. The weight of the whole got damn package as shown in the first image is arround 13-13.5 pounds. Usually I dont use that scope on it. Most of the time I use a Docter red dot sight. But that sight is on another rifle right now.

Sorry, but I didnt see the thing about images from sweden before I got back. But I got a couple from Norway. Taken during the moose hunt last fall.

From my mom and dads porch..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The Super VEPRs have always reminded me of the Valmet Hunters.

That is a really nice set up you have.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Here are my thoughts on .308 AKs in general. Almost always better to get at a .308 AR. Here are my reasons.

1. Mag availability. No conceivable way mags aren't more available for .308 ARs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    2. Availability. You can find .308 ARs all day every day from multiple makers. This is in stark contrast to .308 AKs.
    3. Replacement parts availability. Same as above.
    4. Cost. The .308 AKs are almost as much (AIM has regular .308 VEPRs for 850.00) and the gun is not nearly as practical.
    5. Accuracy. Someone above said the best group they got was 1 MOA with match ammo. In an old shotgun news I have a review for a DPMs .308 that shot sub MOA out of the box. The worst was 3 MOA from santa barbara surplus, a number of loads did sub MOA (the test gun clearly favored 168 grn projectiles). The 2 best loads did 2.1 and 2.3 inches at 300 yrds.
    6. Mounting a scope. Most .308 ARs I see come with a nice flat top rail. I suspect its going to take much more effort to get a satisfactory scope mounting solution for any AK. At the least some special after market parts that probably won't be cheap.
    7. Accessories. The .308 ARs certainly have more accessories to choose from and they'll be more available.

I'm not knocking the the .308 VEPR. I just think the .308 AR is much more practical. But if you're in love with the .308 VEPR go for it. But I really think its a toy (gun just for the fun of it) as opposed to a tool (gun to serve a specific utilitarian function).

I think that may be the classiest AK I have ever seen.

You can purchase a Saiga 308 with a 22 in barrel for half the price,not as pretty but the internals are about the same. No where as pretty but gets the job done real good.Own one and was surprised at the accuracy of it on my local range at 300yds(as far as it gos)hung with any standard M-14 type but just as heavy, with a scope anyways and russian sidemount tough as nails.

Yep, you might be better off buying an AR 15 or something like that. But for me there was no option. Several reasons for that. I wanted a semi auto hunting rifle. The AR design would not be allowed legally as a hunting rifle over here. Neither would the G3 design. The law is pretty damn stupid. The Super Vepr is a civilian improved AK with a stock that makes it look....."kind" ( read, no military look). So you can buy it as a hunting rifle... Number one reason is that: when I fell of the trail, slide down a dirty slope while I use the Vepr as a break, end up in the river cursing while I hit the rifle against the bed rock I will still be able to kill the moose standing there laughing at me, AND I know that the next round will chamber without any problems just in case there are two of them laughing.

Being based upon the RPK receiver its a pretty darn solid construction that makes it more accurate than many other AK clones. When I said 1" moa accuracy remember that the ammo used was made for a completely different firearm. The K98 clone sniper rifle used by the army. I think that if I used a lighter bullet it would perform even better. One my plans for the future is to buy a trigger from Redstar Arms. The standard trigger pull is awfull. Its long, creepy, heavy.

Oh another thing important thing. When I was in the cavallry we had the AG3, MP5 and the MG3 as small arms. Cleaning those almost every damn day made me sick of it. The AK style actually makes you want to clean it, even though its not needed. Hell, the only firearm that is easier than this is the Springfield Trapdoor.

All that said.... if you want a rifle to use in the Practical Rifle Matches I would choose an AR. I find handling easier with those. And its a lot easier to get stuff for it. That would be the wise thing to do anyhow... But for the pure hell of it, an AK style bastard.
    Last edited by Hedning; 02-28-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Great, just great. Now I want a Super Vepr....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Hednig,
    Where did you get that adjustable stock? That's NICE!
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Although I do love my .308 Vepr, it does have some draw backs. First it is front end heavy, OK off the bench but you really notice it shooting it offhand. 2nd-Those damn propriatory mags. Only 10 rnds and becuase the feed lips are unsupported plastic I have actually busted a few feed lips dropping them when loaded, I guess you could get it converted to M-14 mags but that is alot of $.
    3rd- good thing .308 surplus ammo is readily available and not too expensive because you wont be able reload the brass. It beats the crap outta the brass.

I don't see why you can't reload the brass, mine makes a nick on the side, but I still reload and use the brass.

Mine dents the neck and leaves a good size indentation on the side of the brass from where it hits the top cover. I suppose I could relieve the cover opening a little bit to see if that helps, but am afraid if I screw it up that replacement Veper covers are hard to get. I've tried putting tape on the edge of the cover port but it gets blown off after a couple of rounds,

There was a great video on YouTube that a guy shows why these guns make that dent and what can be done to fix it, I followed that guys advise and filed where he shows, and mine only leaves a small dent, I have a super, my buddy has a regular vepr, filed until his left the same as mine, but then he wanted to file more and made it worse. So its a hit or miss as far a fixing the problem, file too much and you make it worse, but you do.t know where to stop filing. The video had something to do with saiga 308 denting casings, I might make one of my own, but we will see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast