Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAR 1 from Virginia

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Not bad for an SAR-1 with cheap ammo. Most people don't realize how accurate the SAR-1 is. I have shot 4 inch groups off a rest with mine at 100 yards using a POSP scope on the side mount. I have put well over 13,000 rounds through it before my shooting buddy went away to college. Shooting by yourself is fun, but once you have done that father/daughter shoot, it isn't the same. If you shot 2.5" off hand you are doing great!!!

O.S.O.K., the SAR-1 is not set up for a double hook trigger, but I have installed one in my SAR-1 by modifying the bottom of the second hook so that it fits inside the receiver without having to modify the trigger hole in the receiver. (trigger hole?)

That Arsenal is a nice rifle! Just don't get rid of your SAR-1 or you will regret it.
    Can you show some pictures of that trigger mod, I really prefer the double hook, but I don't want to mill out the trigger hole.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billdncn View Post
    Here you can see the grain of the hardwood a little better, I think.

That looks awesome! Get a brown US Palm grip for it and you will have it all matched up.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I used a dremel to grind the bottom of the second hook where it hit the receiver. I am from the school of you can remove metal but don't want to thing about having to add metal, so I ground a little off the bottom of the hook, installed in SAR-1, removed some more, and continued until it cleared. At first I was expecting to run out of metal, but there was enough left that I am not having any issues. Just kept looking at where it hit the receiver and removed metal where it was contacting.

Took off the scope and receiver cover. If you look at your double hook trigger and compare to the right hook of mine you should be able to see where I cut it down.

Unfortunately I would have to take the SAR apart to get the trigger out for a better picture. Sorry, but I wouldn't even do that for ATF.

Nice to see SAR-1s getting respect. My first AK was a SAR-1, its in E. German chocolate brown plastic with a blue E. German sling. One of my all time favorite AKs and a real workhorse, at least (and this is a conservative estimate) 20 thousand rounds through it. Still a great rifle.
    Ezra - Houston Tx
    Old cranky member since 1999

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Welcome to the group !!!

Nice looking SAR-1 you have there!

Many people complained about how the SAR series rifles looked when they came into this country. I would reply that if you want pretty, buy a Weatherby, but if you want the only AKM imported into the land of shall not be infringed that was a true military issue AKM, the SAR is the only one that fits the bill. All other AK variants were commercial rifles to be sold in the USA as well as elsewhere, but the SAR was actually used by the Romanian military as a training rifle before being issued the select fire AKM.

Depending on what year your SAR-1 is (the last numbers of the serial number, ie: "99" is for 1999, and the 2000 - 2004 should be obvious) the stock sets were finished differently. Many looked like they were either brush painted in lacquer or dipped in lacquer, but that only made them easy to sand and polish into a glass like shine that would be the envy of any Weatherby. I have done several, treated them like the old automobile lacquer where you lightly sand the rough edges out, then wet sand and polish giving them an amazing glass like finish.

Or you have your choice of thousands of stock variations, but personally, I like wood on my AK/AKMs but the options are limited only by how much you want to spend.

Enjoy your SAR-1 as well as this website!!!!!!
    You just made me a more confident in my SAR-1. Mine has always been a good shooting, tough reliable rifle.

Man, that's a good looking rifle...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billdncn View Post
    Refinished my wood. Buttstock was the ugly orange tint with brushed on finish. Handguards weren't too bad. All wood matches much better now I think....

Still needs a little more steel wool and then finishing coat. Then satin sheen... maybe
    Very nice.

My 2001 SAR-1 was my intro to the Kalashnikov platform. Many thousands of rounds and several add'l AK's later, it's still one of my favorite rifles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12