Thread: Todays Promises sound a little familiar

Todays Promises sound a little familiar

“Exactly four years ago in Iowa, Barack Obama promised he would change Washington, end the gridlock, and repair the country. Today, in the midst of a jobs crisis and an economy that is failing millions of Americans, it is clear that the President has not kept that promise. We agree with Candidate Obama – we simply can’t afford four more years of the same arguments with the same lack of results.” –Gail Gitcho, Romney Communications Director

Four Years Ago Today, Then-Senator Obama was Interviewed on “Meet The Press” and Discussed Why He Was Running for President:

Sen. Barack Obama: “I don’t want to wake up four years from now and find out we’ve been having the same arguments with the same lack of results.” (NBC’s “Meet The Press,” 12/30/07)

In October, President Obama Discussed the Results:

ABC’s George Stephanopoulos: “There are so many people who simply don’t think they are better off than they were four years ago. How do you convince them that they are?” President Obama: “Well, I don’t think they are better off than they were four years ago.” (ABC News, 10/3/11)

Four Years Ago: A Look at Candidate Obama’s 2007 Visit to Davenport
    Mitt Romney Press | December 27, 2011

ABC’s GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: “There are so many people who simply don’t think they are better off than they were four years ago. How do you convince them that they are?” PRESIDENT OBAMA: “Well, I don’t think they are better off than they were four years ago.” (ABC News, 10/3/11)

Four Years Ago, Candidate Obama Spoke In Davenport, Iowa, And Made Promises That President Obama Has Not Been Able To Keep:

On December 28, 2007, Candidate Obama Spoke In Davenport And Focused On His Capacity To Change A Broken System In Washington. “Seeking to set himself apart from his rivals, Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said Friday in Davenport he has real world experience and the capacity to bring people together and change a broken system in Washington, D.C.” (Ed Tibbetts, “Obama Touts Real World Experience,” Quad-City Times, 12/28/07)

President Obama, In 2011: “What We Haven’t Done Is Change Washington.” OBAMA: “And we argued in 2008 – and we captured I think the imaginations of a lot of people – that we could bring about some fundamental change if we got past some of the partisan rancor and the constant politicking that had come to characterize Washington. Now, we’ve done a lot over these two and a half years. … But what we haven’t done is change Washington.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks in Washington, DC, 9/30/11)

In 2007, Candidate Obama Promised To Rid Washington Of “Gridlock.” OBAMA: “We don’t need more anger in Washington. We don’t have a shortage of bitter partisanship in Washington. That’s a recipe for the status quo. That’s a recipe for gridlock.” (Ed Tibbetts, “Obama Touts Real World Experience,” Quad-City Times, 12/28/07)

Team Obama, In 2011: “The Way That We’re Going To Break The Logjam Is When The President Wins Re-Election…” NBC’s CHUCK TODD: “How do you make the case in a second Obama term we’re not going to see more of this gridlock, this polarizing, this partisanship? What’s the Obama case for breaking the logjam?” DAVID AXELROD: “Look, I think the way that we’re going to break the logjam is when the president wins re-election…” (MSNBC’s “Daily Rundown,” 12/5/11)

Candidate Obama, In 2007: “This Is Our Time. Our Moment Is Now, Davenport.” OBAMA: “There’s a moment in the life of every generation. If we are to make our mark on history, in which the spirit of hopefulness has to break through. This is our moment; this is our time. Our moment is now, Davenport.” (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks in Davenport, IA, 12/28/07)

President Obama, In 2011: “I Need Five More Years To Get It Done.” OBAMA: “So we know change is possible. … I’m going to need you because I need five more years. I need five more years to get it done.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks in Denver, CO, 10/25/11)

In 2007, Candidate Obama Spoke Of Rejecting “The Negative Ads, Insults, And The Distortions.” OBAMA: “In six days you have the chance to reject the negative ads, insults, and the distortions that are now flying – coming out of Washington.” (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks in Davenport, IA, 12/28/07)

Team Obama, In 2011: “Unless Things Change And Obama Can Run On Accomplishments, He Will Have To Kill Romney.” “The dramatic and unabashedly negative turn is the product of political reality. Obama remains personally popular, but pluralities in recent polling disapprove of his handling of his job … ‘Unless things change and Obama can run on accomplishments, he will have to kill Romney,’ said a prominent Democratic strategist aligned with the White House.” (Ben Smith and Jonathan Martin, “Obama Plan: Destroy Romney,” Politico, 8/9/11)

In 2007, Candidate Obama Bemoaned “The Same Old Way Of Doing Business That Has Left Too Many Americans Behind” And Promised To “Repair This Nation.” OBAMA: “If you are willing to fight for that American dream for those who are still locked out … If you are not willing to accept the same old way of doing business that has left too many Americans behind … then I guarantee you that we will not just win this caucus, we will win in November and then we will go about beginning of the real journey, which is to repair this nation and repair the world and to finally allow America to believe again.” (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks in Davenport, IA, 12/28/07)

Thirty-Four Straight Months Of Unemployment Above 8%: The jobless rate has been above 8% since February 2009, a thirty-four month span unequaled in recorded history. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, 12/26/11)

Highest Level Of Long-Term Unemployment In Recorded History: Since December 2009, more than 40% of jobless workers have been unemployed for six months or longer, the highest level in recorded history. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, 12/26/11)

Over 300,000 Workers Dropped Out Of The Labor Force In November: “Obama’s chief economic advisor, Alan Krueger, acknowledged that about half of the unemployment drop last month was attributed to 315,000 people leaving the labor force. Many of them were women who were probably discouraged by poor job prospects.” (Los Angeles Times, 12/2/11)

Nearly 25 Million Americans Are Unemployed, Underemployed, Or Have Stopped Looking For Work. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, 12/26/11)

And then there was
    updated 10/13/2008 5:34:32 PM ET

WASHINGTON — Democrat Barack Obama, bidding to extend his lead in the polls, proposed Monday to put home foreclosures on hold and give tax breaks to businesses that create jobs, yeah those plans were implemented.

the man, the legend, the liar, the cheat, our president

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

the man, the legend, the liar, the cheat, our president
    Excepting Eisenhower, applicable back to Teddy Roosevelt.

Wart