Thread: Dog psychology questions

Dog psychology questions

We have two small dogs, Westies, that live inside the house with us. Recently I left for about a week, my wife stayed home and the female dog who is 4 months older than the male, she is 13 months old now, barked a lot and acted crazy just about every day, not hyper and running around nervous but more like she barked at every little noise coming from outside, she even started chewing a small part of the base board right by the front door one day. My wife said it was driving her nuts so it was unusual behavior.

What would cause a dog to do this, is she trying to protect the home because she thinks she is number two and I am gone? Does she think she is number one and one of her underlings got lost and never came back, LOL?

She obeys commands really well, I can put food or a treat on the ground and if I tell her to stay she won't eat it until I let her, even with the bedding she won't get in her bed unless I let her. Normally she is well behaved most of the time but just seemed like she was on high alert while I was gone. When my wife and I leave for the day to shop or whatever both dogs are fine and do not go nuts as we walk out so I don't think they have separation anxiety.

What are some things my wife can do to calm her down while I am away so she doesn't drive her nuts.

It's hard to tell which dog is higher in the pecking order, some times I think the male and some times I think the female. It seems like it goes back and forth once or twice a week if that is possible. Wife said male was fine while I was gone, he usually never barks anyways, I have only heard him bark a few times, the female barks some times when she is outside and a car make a lot of noise as it drives by or if there is a obvious noise outside she lets out a few barks to alert us but nothing major.

Is there any reason one dog would bark more than the other as far as pecking order or is it just personality?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Change of behavior when you leave I would guess is separation anxiety. Remember, dogs know we are not another dog but do view us as a part of the pack. They like the pact intact.....feels more secure.

Wart
    Last edited by Warthogg; 02-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    Change of behavior when you leave I would guess is separation anxiety. Remember, dogs know we are not another dog but do view us as a part of the pack. They like the pact intact.....feels more secure.

Wart
    +1

Last Saturday when I went gun shop hopping my wife said our Jack Russell, well actually MY Jack Russell whined and cried the entire time until I returned. Even though she was home he wanted his PA. Usually she's gone or we're both gone. Dogs are funny about their owners.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

What makes me wonder is I have left home for a day or so before and she didn't act like this until several days after I was gone.