Thread: Nagant 7.62 or the Tokarev for Concealed carry which one?

Question Nagant 7.62 or the Tokarev for Concealed carry which one?

I was looking for an inexpensive pistol I've found the Nagant for 99.99 and the Polish Tokarev for 209.99 both use 7.62 either 7.62X38 or 7.62X25 and I can obtain the ammo locally Georgia Ammo.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

to the board!

The nagant, while a very fun and interesting revolver would make an awful CCW. The round is rather weak, reloading is slow as hell and the double action trigger pull is about 25 pounds- no kidding. Fun range gun, horrible carrry gun. IMHO

The tokarev on the other hand makes a decent carry piece. The biggest draw back in my book is that you really need to carry them hammer down and cock the hammer to fire - not the best but not the end of the world either. The safeties that are added on are not reliable - especially the kind found on the Poles.

The 7.62x25 is a very potent round (can penetrate body armor) and relatively inexpensive. You can get milsurp ammo for practice for very reasonable prices too and it would make good defensive ammo too if it's reliable in your tok. The tok is of course, a magazine fed pistol which makes reloading quick.

I personally recommend the Yuguslavian toks over the others that are available though - unless your pole is older and sans add-on safety... The Yugo's have a 9 round mag vs 8 round for standard toks and there are several other improvements. Here is one wholesaler offering them: http://www.southernohiogun.com/handg...62x25-cal.html You might also consider a makarov for the same price... the round is similar to 380 ACP in power.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 02-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    to the board!

The nagant, while a very fun and interesting revolver would make an awful CCW. The round is rather weak, reloading is slow as hell and the double action trigger pull is about 25 pounds- no kidding. Fun range gun, horrible carrry gun. IMHO

The tokarev on the other hand makes a decent carry piece. The biggest draw back in my book is that you really need to carry them hammer down and cock the hammer to fire - not the best but not the end of the world either. The safeties that are added on are not reliable - especially the kind found on the Poles.

The 7.62x25 is a very potent round (can penetrate body armor) and relatively inexpensive. You can get milsurp ammo for practice for very reasonable prices too and it would make good defensive ammo too if it's reliable in your tok. The tok is of course, a magazine fed pistol which makes reloading quick.

I personally recommend the Yuguslavian toks over the others that are available though - unless your pole is older and sans add-on safety... The Yugo's have a 9 round mag vs 8 round for standard toks and there are several other improvements. Here is one wholesaler offering them: http://www.southernohiogun.com/handg...62x25-cal.html You might also consider a makarov for the same price... the round is similar to 380 ACP in power.

Hope that helps!
    The reason I didn't add the Markov is they're sold with only one 6 or 7 round mag except for the P-64 some time it can be found with 2 6rd magazines and a flap holster for 190.00 and the CZ 83 comes with one 12rd mag and spares aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjr59 View Post
    CZ 83 comes with one 12rd mag and spares aren't cheap.
    That gun is a tank though. So are the mags. A downside though is the double stack makes the grip thicker than the Makarov. One thing for the Maks, they are thin and easily concealable.

Out of your choices I would go with the Tok for a couple of reasons.

Slender profile, and streamlined edges. Both good for a carry piece.

Powerful rund. The 7.62 Tok is a burner. Your Tok is chambered for the same round as the PPSH submachinegun. It goes through vests. Both sides. (Something to keep in mind when shooting. Walls won't slow it down much.)

Magazines. The Tok takes magazines whereas the Nagant loads (and unloads) one round at a time through a gate ala the Colt Single Action Army. It's the 21st century, don't do that to yourself bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    That gun is a tank though. So are the mags. A downside though is the double stack makes the grip thicker than the Makarov. One thing for the Maks, they are thin and easily concealable.

Out of your choices I would go with the Tok for a couple of reasons.

Slender profile, and streamlined edges. Both good for a carry piece.

Powerful rund. The 7.62 Tok is a burner. Your Tok is chambered for the same round as the PPSH submachinegun. It goes through vests. Both sides. (Something to keep in mind when shooting. Walls won't slow it down much.)

Magazines. The Tok takes magazines whereas the Nagant loads (and unloads) one round at a time through a gate ala the Colt Single Action Army. It's the 21st century, don't do that to yourself bro.
    the only pistol I don't have a problem with it only coming with one mag is http://centerfiresystems.com/pps43-pis.aspx or http://centerfiresystems.com/sterling-pistol.aspx but it's not what you would call concealable unless you're my size