Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Shotgun and what it means

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Tactical Shotgun and what it means

I have been running across this topic a lot lately on various boards and it always devolves into what ammo and how many gadgets they can hang on their gun. Then it is an assault gun.

”Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.”
    ~Alan Korwin

Or worse yet it is now a tactical or tacticool gun cause it's a mean looking SOB. Again I go nuts, tactical is software not hardware, reaction to a set of circumstances to make it turn into your favor.

So what say you, do you have or need 14 pounds of gadgets on your home defense shotgun or is it plain Jane like this poor homely little gun?

My only concession to defensive use is the high viz rifle sights and even that is low profile and at a likely 12' separation between me and Mr. Mad dog, it's unlikely to be used or even needed. It isn't what I would take outside for a battle with bad people, that would be a rifle. What good would 2 sets of shotshell cuffs hanging on your gun do you or a mounted light or a laser or God forbid a bayonet. Inside your house how bad would you need a night vision sight or a holographic sighting system. We aren't talking about clearing buildings with a squad of infantrymen or SWAT team members watching your back. It's you, your house and an intruder or intruders.

Would it make that much difference if you were loaded with BB or 00? Would it make that much difference at that range if you used 3 1/2" shells with flight control wads over a 2 3/4" turkey load. We aren't talking body armored heavily armed meth addicts. We are talking soft skinned dopes with designs on your possessions or with intent to hurt you.

How much more can you hurt them with an extra $400 worth of accessories?

Show me where I am wrong.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

This is why my Mossberg 500 is same as she was from the box. Only thing pinned on is the factory heat shield, n I just like the look of em, trench gunish.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

I don't think there is anything wrong with a plane jane pump with an 18" barrel

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

'Tactical' has just become another buzzword for advertising. I consider my shotgun a 'jack-of-all-trades'. All I have is a Remmy 11-87 SuperMag (3.5" chamber) in a camo finish.....have yet to even try a 3.5" shotshell, lol. If it's considered tacticool cuz I put a tube extension on it and a side-saddle shell holder, which tends to come in handy for 3-gunning, so be it I guess. Plus mine can't be tactical cuz it's isn't all black
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a plane jane pump with an 18" barrel
    Actually the one in the picture is a Mossberg 9200 semi with a full choke. My other two are a Mossberg 500C and Winchester 1200 both pumps and I practice with all of them regularly so it really doesn't matter which one I have in my hand. I'm familiar with the controls and the feel of any of them. I have other guns on the rack but if something goes bump at dark thirty it will be one of these 3.

Shell holder doesn't make you tacticool and niether does the extension but you will be unlikely to need it except for your competition games. The guns with the saddles I'm talking about have one on the on the butt, one on their forearm, one hanging from the scope rail and a bandoleer sling. Combat maybe, especially during WWI or II if you had to clear trenches but a burglar in your living room or a coyote in your pig barn??

That stuff just gets heavy and makes you tired. I'd prefer a clean gun that isn't going to make a racket and will come up to my poor old crippled shoulders easily.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I have a Mossberg 590A1. 20" barrel, 8 round tube, cylinder bore, and yes, a bayonet lug. Considering how much the pattern spreads (over a foot at 25 feet) turkey loads might not be the best option for me, but anything bigger is probably fine. No side saddles or anything, but one of these days I want to get a bayonet for it... Sorta makes sense to me to have one on a shotgun

I put a side saddle on mine years ago I never fill it up. Hell I usually only put 3 in the tube. I figure if I need more than that im screwed anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I put a side saddle on mine years ago I never fill it up. Hell I usually only put 3 in the tube. I figure if I need more than that im screwed anyhow.
    I can stick 5 in my gun but rarely do more than 4 unless I'm doing some hot and heavy drills.

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    I have a Mossberg 590A1. 20" barrel, 8 round tube, cylinder bore, and yes, a bayonet lug. Considering how much the pattern spreads (over a foot at 25 feet) turkey loads might not be the best option for me, but anything bigger is probably fine. No side saddles or anything, but one of these days I want to get a bayonet for it... Sorta makes sense to me to have one on a shotgun
    I bit the bullet and had mine threaded for a choke deliberately. Just because it's a short tube there is no reason to waste all that shot I want it where it can do the most good. I have a modified and full and installed the full, I am happy with the way it shoots. Bayonet, good golly Gertrude, Just sling one of your swords on your back, they would be a lot more efficient in close quarters than a bayonet on a shotgun. Hell with those arms of yours you could reach farther with a bayonet then I could if I had one mounted on a shotgun.

THUCYDIDES.

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 Crusier, that came with a pistol grip and 18" barrel. I put a Choate full butt stock (with pistol grip), and heat sheild on it. If I add any thing else, it will be a sling, and quick detach flashlight.

My 500 is plain jane.

My 590 had ghost rings put on it to go along with the heat shield.

I don't like shit on my shotguns!

I keep a Benelli M4 with night sights between my bed and night stand. I did take the tactical stock with pistol grip off of it and replaced it with the standard hunting type stock. Is that wrong.

Mine is plain jane, just a sling, 18" bbl. Loaded with 8 shot then 00 then slug then 00 then 8 shot. Good assortment?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I have a "tacticooled" 1946 Belgian Browning A5. It was beat all to hell with little finish left, split forearm, busted buttstock that had been repaired haphazardly, and a screw for a front sight. I had it parked and shot with flat black Norell's, replaced the furniture with black polymer, had the barrel cut to 18.5" with a Hi-Viz sight, and added a +4 mag extension that makes the mag and barrel the same length. OTOH, there's no shit hanging off it, so I guess it really isn't "tacticool". It looks pretty much like Grumps, but with the A5 "hump" at the back of the receiver and polymer furniture. It's recoil-operated, so the barrel actually reciprocates back into the receiver, soaking up about half the recoil. My other shotty is a standard Mossy 590A1 with ghost ring sights, but I still like the A5 better.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I have a butt ugly Mossberg 500 with an adjustable AR style stock. I like its double extractors and that's about it. The shotgun in the OP is much more to my taste (I like butt ugly in rifles, pistols, vehicles and aircraft). Semi would be more practical for me and I like natural stock material.

The forced morphology of the word "assault" is a microcosm of a nauseating and disturbing process in what will amount to, in the end, the death of Western culture.

The castration of the English language to make impotent the conceptual capacity of the Western Mind. (Pussify the thought process and the action of the body as well as the body itself has no chance)

I would say the shotgun should be built for its purpose.

I have a semi auto home defense with pistol grip stock, sling with extra shells and a flashlight on the top rail.

my shotgun is my go to gun for emergency defense and since most breakins happen at night I want a flashlight on it and ready with a pressure switch so I can use the light as needed in small bursts its 200lumens and enough to make someone see spots which is another advantage.

the pistol grip came on it stock and its more comfortable for me, I'm more accurate with the fat pistol grip.
    a sling to keep the gun on me and only me. & a few extra shells on the sling is a nice comfort.

I think my setup is easier to use for me thats why I chose the mods I did could I have the same protection without the mods?
    maybe but I also want to know I am not shooting my son who might be sneaking in or out of the house or something like that which just happened recently to an officer in a hotel room who shot and killed his son who forgot his keys and was climbing in a window.

shotguns are so cheap it's easy enough to customize them for Different specialties.
    the best thing about a shotgun is how many uses they have hunting, home defense or cheap sport shooting can be done with most any and all shotguns.

"Tactical Shotty"

To me that means shortish barrel, decent capacity and fast, utilitarian sights (if any).

The rest is optional.

I like a 3" chamber and bayonet, both for versatility reasons. But I'll take a plain jane pump in 2.75". Aint nothing wrong with that.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

My home defense shotgun is an 870 with a 20" barrel and rifle sights. I have looked at the plastic furniture available but still like the wood.

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I own and use a Winchester 1300 for my home defense. Fits 7-2 3/4 in shells in the mag ( I usually only run 4-5) and I made a chinsy looking side saddle that holds 5 more, just in case. I practice with it on a regular basis, doing slug change outs and what not. I know many people say that shotguns don't make good home defense guns, but I feel confident with my training that it is the best choice for me and my family. I even have my wife practice with it weekly, as I am sometimes gone from the house on a regular basis. Other then that side saddle, nothing fancy. I have seen some of my buddies who have the tacticool Benellis or Berretas. They have bells, whistles, holo-sites, spiked muzzle brakes. One of my friends even has a forward grip with a drop-down bi-pod. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    I have a "tacticooled" 1946 Belgian Browning A5. It was beat all to hell with little finish left, split forearm, busted buttstock that had been repaired haphazardly, and a screw for a front sight. I had it parked and shot with flat black Norell's, replaced the furniture with black polymer, had the barrel cut to 18.5" with a Hi-Viz sight, and added a +4 mag extension that makes the mag and barrel the same length. OTOH, there's no shit hanging off it, so I guess it really isn't "tacticool". It looks pretty much like Grumps, but with the A5 "hump" at the back of the receiver and polymer furniture. It's recoil-operated, so the barrel actually reciprocates back into the receiver, soaking up about half the recoil. My other shotty is a standard Mossy 590A1 with ghost ring sights, but I still like the A5 better.
    As a fellow A5 owner, I'd love to see a pic or two...
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

KISS shotty.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast