Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsized

Awesome Member

Downsized

I never thought it could happen to me. Oh well, I'm not broke. I will survive.

here is a cool movie clip to celbrate my early retirement...

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Best of luck and God Bless, Brother.

Been there, done that. In my case, better off for it.

Best of luck,

Mike

Doors open and close, may this be a blessing.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Being a construction whore... I'm much more used to changing employers.

Question: Do you want to work? If so at what?

Awesome Member

Thank you gentlemen. It feels pretty grim right now but I will survive. What the hell kind of world is it where a man can’t work? It is a pride stripping hell. God I wish we had some options.

Anyway I will keep my head up. I am an optimist.

Awesome Member

I am a highly trained technician. I only have an associate’s degree. I’m getting OLD. I have sent my resume to a few dozen companies and I don’t even get the courtesy of a response.

A tech in what?

I have people up to 68 working with me...

Tell me you are a welding inspector, I'll ship your ass off in a heart beat!

Awesome Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Being a construction whore... I'm much more used to changing employers.

Question: Do you want to work? If so at what?
    I am relatively secure but at this point I would push a broom for a paycheck. Due to the magic of divorce I need an 8-5 type job. Otherwise I would work retail. My kids are in school and it is costing me a fortune. I was so prosperous in the 90’s. Thank god I saved some money.

Awesome Member

A tech in what?

I have people up to 68 working with me...

Tell me you are a welding inspector, I'll ship your ass off in a heart beat!
    That is so cool. i love texas and NM But unfortunately travel is not an option. i have my kids in a private school (for obvious reasons) and i have to stay local. its a shit sandwich.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Where are you generally? And what kind of technical specialty? Don't have to answer of course, but you never know who might read this and say "bingo"...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Awesome Member

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Where are you generally? And what kind of technical specialty? Don't have to answer of course, but you never know who might read this and say "bingo"...
    Indiana.

Automation programmer. Factory certified master programmer. Unfortunately not PLC. I’m sure I could do it though.

PLC I know guys... can we make you a process instument tech? Calabrate Rosemont & Foxboro, etc? Control valves?

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. It feels pretty grim right now but I will survive. What the hell kind of world is it where a man can’t work? It is a pride stripping hell. God I wish we had some options.

Anyway I will keep my head up. I am an optimist.
    Dont let it get you down. Life will go on, trust me. I been there and done that. I retired from the U.S. Army back in 1995. Since then over the last 16 years I went through it 4 times due to corporate buyouts or just plain corporate "GREED". The first time back in 2001 I was traumatized, after that it was just oh well, life goes on. This last time all the jobs in my department were outsourced, by a private cotractor, and temps were brought in. I went to school on the states dime and finished in Dec. and currently seeking work. Hang in there, life is to short to let it get you down.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Awesome Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Dont let it get you down. Life will go on, trust me. I been there and done that. I retired from the U.S. Army back in 1995. Since then over the last 16 years I went through it 4 times due to corporate buyouts or just plain corporate "GREED". The first time back in 2001 I was traumatized, after that it was just oh well, life goes on. This last time all the jobs in my department were outsourced, by a private cotractor, and temps were brought in. I went to school on the states dime and finished in Dec. and currently seeking work. Hang in there, life is to short to let it get you down.
    thank you. that gives me hope.

Awesome Member

PLC I know guys... can we make you a process instument tech? Calabrate Rosemont & Foxboro, etc? Control valves?
    I am a tech. I am very familiar with all types of test equipment both mechanical and electrical. I am also a damned good board level technician. Not a very valuable skill in our throwaway society. Also an expert in understanding and working with digital, serial and analog data.

Awesome Member

Also pneumatics and hydraulics.

I got a guy coming in Thursday from corporate to see if we need everyone we have on the payroll, I guess it's what's coming next.

Awesome Member

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I got a guy coming in Thursday from corporate to see if we need everyone we have on the payroll, I guess it's what's coming next.
    yup. cut cut cut. slash and burn.

My company laid off 103 people 2 days before Christmas (probably only because Christmas was on a Sunday and the bosses don't like to work weekends). And this was a company that at one time prided itself on never having a layoff, it seems once they started now they can't stop.

Luckily I had a pretty good phone interview tonight with a company down in KY so hopefully I'll be getting out regardless. The only down side to the phone interview was when it got to pay they told me that I was competing with people who were not working and if I was firm on the pay I wanted... In other words they want me for less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast