Thread: i am going to take a trip to sometime in the mid 40's,

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

i am going to take a trip to sometime in the mid 40's,

Anyone else bitten by the vintage razor bug?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I have 3 or 4 razors of the type you show and a straight razor. Didn't collect them, just never threw them away.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    [Anyone else bitten by the vintage razor bug?
    Nope, not a bit.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've treatened for years to do shadow boxes of 1800s, 1920s and 1940s'50s shaving kits. I thought they would look great as bathroom decorations in our log house....

/me shaves with a straight razor... Well, till I started working on a beard anyway. Have half a dozen shavers.

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    /me shaves with a straight razor... Well, till I started working on a beard anyway. Have half a dozen shavers.
    How do you keep it sharp?

be the heat..

for a while I have wanted to learn how to use and care for a straight razor.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    How do you keep it sharp?
    Leather hanging strop, pasted denim strop, pasted paddle strop, and if I need to re-hone, Naniwa Superstone water stones up to 10000 grit. Honing a razor to a truely 'shaving sharp' edge is much easier then a knife, 'cause you lay both the edge and the spine of the blade against the stone at the same time, sets the angle for ya. Then I'll often put a single layer of black electrical tape on the spine and give it a few more passes on the finest stone to micro-bevel the edge.

Though to be completely honest, my paddle strop with .25 micron diamond paste is my workhorse for finishing an edge.

Leather hanging strop, pasted denim strop, pasted paddle strop, and if I need to re-hone, Naniwa Superstone water stones up to 10000 grit. Honing a razor to a truely 'shaving sharp' edge is much easier then a knife, 'cause you lay both the edge and the spine of the blade against the stone at the same time, sets the angle for ya. Then I'll often put a single layer of black electrical tape on the spine and give it a few more passes on the finest stone to micro-bevel the edge.

Though to be completely honest, my paddle strop with .25 micron diamond paste is my workhorse for finishing an edge.
    Interesting, where do you find your tools for this. How have you been B?

be the heat..

Ze Interwebs! Though the water stones get rather expensive.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Na...e-P290C97.aspx
    I use a 1k, 5k, and 10k, though its recommended to go 1k, 3k, 8k, 12k or closer in grits... I just give it a few more strokes per stone. I also use a DMT 220 to flatten the waterstones, http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/8-...one-P7C24.aspx

The pasted strop is my final step, not sure where to find the .25 micron diamond paste, but .5 micron CrOx is easy to find, and I'm told leaves a smoother edge.

And I've been doing alright JG, hopefully gonna get out to gunsite hills for some long range training before too long!

Ze Interwebs! Though the water stones get rather expensive.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Na...e-P290C97.aspx
    I use a 1k, 5k, and 10k, though its recommended to go 1k, 3k, 8k, 12k or closer in grits... I just give it a few more strokes per stone. I also use a DMT 220 to flatten the waterstones, http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/8-...one-P7C24.aspx

The pasted strop is my final step, not sure where to find the .25 micron diamond paste, but .5 micron CrOx is easy to find, and I'm told leaves a smoother edge.

And I've been doing alright JG, hopefully gonna get out to gunsite hills for some long range training before too long!
    Good for you brother.

be the heat..

I bought a badger fur shaving brush a couple years ago and one of those circle soap bars... that kind of soap lasts longer than several shaving cream cans.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    I bought a badger fur shaving brush a couple years ago and one of those circle soap bars... that kind of soap lasts longer than several shaving cream cans.
    yes the soap lasts longer and works better and the blades for that razor in the pic are $10 for 100. each one lasts me a week of daily shaves. Some would probably last longer but i change it every sunday regardless. ten bux for almost two years of shaves is a lot better then $5 per cartridge for a mach 3 or whatever new contraption is out. I find i get less razor bumps with the old fashion razor as well.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38