Thread: I Have PTSD…So What?

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

I Have PTSD…So What?

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/i-have-ptsd-so-what/

By RU Rob

I have PTSD. We all know what it is, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I am one of millions who are affected by it each and every day. Millions of men and women who have varying symptoms yet manage to maintain a normal lifestyle. I, along with my cohorts, have been classified as a potential powder keg just waiting on that spark to set us off into a murderous explosion of ire. This is not the case as I am just as normal as you.

At the end of every day I lay my head down in an attempt to sleep. That in itself is no different than you. But when my eyes close and I should be drifting off into a peaceful bliss, my mind takes over and I am tormented in my dreams with a vivid and exaggerated version of every combat encounter witnessed. There has been nary a night that I do not have this, and have not had an uninterrupted night of sleep for years. Yet in the morning, I rise with the consistency of the sun, roll out of my sweat soaked bed, and shake off the remnants of the nightly battles and start my day…just like you.

I am functional in society, but I am a little more vigilant than you, always on the look-out for danger, avoiding large crowds and loud places. But somehow, I can still manage to go out to eat, shop for my clothes and drive my car. I pay close attention to those around me, see the drug deal that just took place on my right and notice the people who just don’t belong in a certain situation. You may not have evil intentions, but I will notice nonetheless.

I have guns. As a matter of fact I just about always have one on me. You see, even though I have PTSD, I am still a Sheepdog watching out for my flock. I don’t brandish my weapon and most of the time you won’t even know I have it on my body, but it is there. I also carry a large knife in my pocket, one that could cause serious injury or death if used improperly. I have never used any of my weapons in a malicious manner and never will, but in my duties as a Sheepdog I will not hesitate to draw down on you should the circumstance warrant it. I am armed, but I am not dangerous.

There are times that I am medicated. My PTSD comes in cycles and when things get bad I need that extra chemical push to regulate me. I accept this and because of it I do not drink. I have other physical problems that could easily warrant an addiction to pain killers, but just like most of us with PTSD, I avoid it.

I have never committed violence in the workplace, just like the vast majority of those who suffer with me. My co-workers know I spent time in the military but they do not know of my daily struggles, and they won’t. I can still communicate with my subordinates and supervisors in a clear manner. I have never physically assaulted anyone out of anger or rage.

It pains me when I listen to the news and every time a veteran commits a crime (or commits suicide); it is automatically linked to and blamed on PTSD. Yes, there are some who cannot control their actions due to this imbalance in our heads, but don’t put a label on us that we are all incorrigible. Very few of us are bad. There are more of us out there that are trying harder to do good than the lesser alternative.

Do not pity me. I know who I am and recognize the journey that has shaped me into what I am. I have no regrets about anything that I have done in the past and look forward to many wonderful years in the future. I freely take every step of life during the day knowing that there is something that will haunt me at night.

For those who are like me, there is help. Seek it out. You were strong enough to make it this far, don’t give up. Dig a little deeper and make that final push. If you do not know where to go or have fallen astray, contact me. I will help. We are all brothers and sisters in this battle that will rage invariably for eternity and the one constant is that we have each other.

To the rest of society and particularly the media: I have PTSD!
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Great post and goes along with something I read on the subject a few days ago. That not all veterans are crazed killers or time bombs but assimilate back into the population and if they have PTSD most people never know it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Excellent post sir.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Hey, that article looks familiar.

I think he's part owner of Ranger Up/Unapologetically American clothing (www.rangerup.com, www.unapologeticallyamerican.com). Click on 'RU Articles' near the top of the front page, they have many good articles written by him, Tim Kennedy (MMA fighter, SF reserve, funny-ass youtube vids), and other great writers/contributors. If I could buy every shirt or item they have I would need my own walk in closet, lol....give my wife a run for her money.

An example of one of their many fine videos,

Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 02-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Hey, that article looks familiar.

I think he's part owner of Ranger Up/Unapologetically American clothing (www.rangerup.com, www.unapologeticallyamerican.com). Click on 'RU Articles' near the top of the front page, they have many good articles written by him, Tim Kennedy (MMA fighter, SF reserve, funny-ass youtube vids), and other great writers/contributors. If I could buy every shirt or item they have I would need my own walk in closet, lol....give my wife a run for her money.

An example of one of their many fine videos,

Oh dude, so gay! Hehe!

To the tune of pop goes the weasle

I don't go out with girls anymore
    I live a life of danger
    I sit in the woods and play with myself
    Woo! I'm a ranger
    Last edited by btcave; 02-09-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

PTSD has been around since the beginning of organized warfare. It's nothing new.
    In the Civil War it was called Soldier's Heart; WWI - Shell Shock; WWII - Combat Fatigue; Vietnam - first it was Post Vietnam Syndrome, then what it's known as now - Post Traumatic Stess Disorder.
    When I was getting treatment for it in the 1980's I was told that every combat vet has it to some degree, if they don't they had mental issues to begin with.
    It never goes away, but as time goes by it does lessen.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i have a question for all those dealing with ptsd. is the description in the article 100% accurate, or are there other ways of suffering from it?

every combat vet has it to some degree, if they don't they had mental issues to begin with.

I guess dealing with things your own way or just saying 'fuck it' when something bad happens is a mental disorder?????????

Hmmmmmmmmm
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i have a question for all those dealing with ptsd. is the description in the article 100% accurate, or are there other ways of suffering from it?
    Make that "Other ways of dealing with it."

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Make that "Other ways of dealing with it."
    nope, i meant what i said.

my day is nothing like the story told there. but i have my own problems. i dont usually ever talk about it, but to the very few ppl i did, 2 out of 3 told me it sounded lke i had ptsd. i completely disagree with their unprofessional analyses, but just thought id ask since the subject was brought up.

therefore, my question had nothing to do with how it is dealt with, but the actual symptoms themselves.