Thread: 'nuther noob.....

'nuther noob.....

hello all! new to the forum here.been doing my research and came to the conclusion that the mak-90 was a good AK platform as far as build quality and availability for me.
    i'm supposed to go to a guy's place tomorrow nite to pick up both a stamped and a milled receivered mak-90. looking forward to getting into the AK world as i'm more recently been into AR-15's. the fast-tracking of recent attacks on our precious constitution has me of a mind to protect my little section of the world w/ something that has better penetration as well as simple functionality. i really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is given out by all. thanks,buxman66.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Starting the addiction with both a milled and stamped MAK-90 is a great way to enjoy the AK/AKM and a sure way to spend a lot of money over time!

Both are very good rifles. About the only issue is the milled MAK-90 has a strange cut to the rear of the receiver, and unless you like to make your own stocks, the only one available is through Ironwood Designs. At least Ironwood is a great company making top rated products at very reasonable prices.

thanks guys! i believe i'll probably change out the furniture completely on the stamped one and just the stock/pg on the milled. i'm definitely going w/the original wood though. just trying to soak up the knowledge on here......!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the BOARD!!! Enjoy the new rifles and post the range session.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 02-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Welcome!
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by buxman66 View Post
    thanks guys! i believe i'll probably change out the furniture completely on the stamped one and just the stock/pg on the milled. i'm definitely going w/the original wood though. just trying to soak up the knowledge on here......!
    Unfortunately there is no "original wood" on the milled MAK-90 other than the bush-hole stock as it was a pure commercial rifle built to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment as modified by ATF and Bush1. The only way to install a standard looking stock is either make one yourself or buy one from Ironwood Designs. I have found that Min-was Antique Maple gives a pretty close copy of the Chinese "sort of yellow" stock color. I refinished a front handguard with the antique maple and showed it to a friend who I consider very knowledgeable on AKs and he was amazed that it was a refinish and not original Chinese.

i'm learning already! lol! the finish on the milled is a dark stain and of course the club-looking thumbhole stock. the stamped one,the top hand guard had split and came apart in my hands. the stamped model had plenty of scratches and had a mis-matched blond colored thumbhole stock. both of them will get new wood and probably try to save the milleds hand guard set by re-finishing them. the milled receiver is a slant cut and the stamped is a straight cut. i plan on re-doing these as money(and the wife unit)permit! the stamped will probably be done in earnest as this years presidential election,i believe,will bring some interesting times. i hope i'm wrong,but i will be prepared.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

As I remember the darker wood is stained. You may need to bleach/sand/strip it before refinishing.

thanks,i'll be doing that soon. pics to follow!

I'm not able to post in the classified ad's section yet, but if anyone is interested in it I'm selling the blond colored thumbhole stock that was on my stamped model. I believe someone said it is a Hungarian sa-85m stock. Little did I know the seller had it listed on here at the time I bought it so I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of it.
    Last edited by buxman66; 02-15-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: attach pic...?

try this again....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I can say that it is an SA-85M thumbhole stock. I had an SA-85M Hungarian AKM rifle, it was my favorite 7.62x39 chambered AK type. Those are one of the more comfortable stocks on the Bush -Ban era weapons.

got both sets....well,actually 1 full set for the stamped receiver and a stock and p/g for the milled,ordered the other day from ironwood designs. also,i just ordered a set of new p/g bolts an kept receiver nuts,as well as replacement rear micro-adjustment peep sights for both rifles. can't wait for the big brown truck to show up! i used one of the boards vendors, AA-OK.COM for my purchase.

just sold the hungarian sa-85m thumbhole stock. was posted for only 1hr before someone bought it on www.armslist.com