Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKS-M

The D was a 20 inch barrel length with bayonet and standard sks stock and pre ban. M was 16 inch barrel, no bayonet, post ban, Monte carlo stock for most, some with thumbhole. Sporter had a 16 inch barrel and always came with thumbhole stock. All versions taking AK mags. These are just guidelines though as there are deviations from the above descriptions.

I've had 2 sporter type 68 models. One came with the afermarket ATI thumbhole stock, and one came with the factory wood thumbhole stock. I cut, shaped and sanded the factory wood thumbhole stock until it fit like a glove. Black laquar/acylic paint made it look as good as it felt. The basic thumbhole stock is blocky and ugly (the one that I had, looked like it was dipped in fuggley brown paint) from the factory, but with a little sanding and shaping, it turns into a thing of value. I also replaced the upper handguard with a fiberglass one (1960-70s red synthetic jungle stock, made to resist the moisture of the jungle), after drilling some air/cooling holes and painting it black. After fitting a rubber butpad, and a pin on ak-74 brake, it was a fun shooter. These guns seemed to be the closest to an AK-47, without getting an AK-47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12