Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Walking Dead

been watchin the show since the 1st episode and always wondered why they dont have any AR-15, M-16 or AK,s of any kind .
    TREUE BIS IN DEN TOD

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NATIONALIST View Post
    been watchin the show since the 1st episode and always wondered why they dont have any AR-15, M-16 or AK,s of any kind .
    Seriously, it is located in Georgia and there are tons of such weapons in this state. I've often said the same thing.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NATIONALIST View Post
    This is a recurring and common comment of basically anyone that knows anything about Georgia that watches the show. If it was set in the UK, fine. It's set in the Southern US.

Note - There ARE lots of M4 carbines laying about at the various scenes of overrun army units. But, frustratingly, NO ONE PICKS THEM UP. Choosing instead to use, say, a revolver with only a handful of rounds left.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    This is a recurring and common comment of basically anyone that knows anything about Georgia that watches the show. If it was set in the UK, fine. It's set in the Southern US.

Note - There ARE lots of M4 carbines laying about at the various scenes of overrun army units. But, frustratingly, NO ONE PICKS THEM UP. Choosing instead to use, say, a revolver with only a handful of rounds left.
    IMHO part of it is they use what they are most familiar wth. For someone with little or know training a bolt action rifle and or a revolver are better choices than a semiautomatic. That being said if you think about it, unless someone is really a "gun person" they probably don't have an AR or even an AK in their house but they may have a .22 rifle, dad or grandpa's old shotgun, deer rifle, etc. They've shot those firearms growing up and for their limited skill level it's what they know and feel the most comfortable with. Lacking those particular firearms they acquire other, similar guns. Just a thought.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I think it has more to do with the story. If they had big arsenals and tons of ammo then the little 1, 2 or 10 walkers they run into wouldn't do it and they would have to have swarms of walkers every show to keep it suspenseful and that would mean a lot more production and special affects money.

I could also see some logic in it being 10 times more difficult to find weapons like that many months (?) after a disaster like that, given the story in the show guns and ammo is probably the first thing that would be scarfed up even if the virus spread like a wild fire it would only take a few people to clean out a gun store. Given the story in the show if I found a gun store intact I would most likely take as much as I could load up assuming there weren't others around that needed weapons.

Still the scene with the guns laying around someone should have at least tried to pick one up or said something like hey when we go back out lets pick up the guns, after the bunker they may have been damaged by the big explosion.

All the good stuff has been scrounged up already. Every gun store and armory has been looted, turned into a fort, or overrun by walkers. Think about that 50 BMG near the tank, that area is infested with zombies. Not worth risking an Atlanta street run for it. The M4s outside of the CDC had been laying there for some time before the group even made it to the place. Even if they had not rusted up too bad, they had only a little window to act on them. They ran in to escape the zombies, and ran out to avoid the boom.

Worse comment they made was two episodes ago. When the one guy in the bar mentions that they should head to Nebraska, because there are a lot of guns in that state (Im paraphrasing) Made me laugh since GA is a great RKBA state.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question

Let me bring up something noone else is. Knowing that the Human Body will Die after 3-4 Day's without Water. What if they could no longer find a Food Source, including Animal's. How long would or should it take for them to just drop Dead? Did the Book's say anything about this. Without a Food Source. They would start Decomposing right? Or at least Blow open from the Air in the Bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Let me bring up something noone else is. Knowing that the Human Body will Die after 3-4 Day's without Water. What if they could no longer find a Food Source, including Animal's. How long would or should it take for them to just drop Dead? Did the Book's say anything about this. Without a Food Source. They would start Decomposing right? Or at least Blow open from the Air in the Bodies.
    You mean the zombies, right? The "rules" for zombie fiction vary, but the Walking Dead seems to be going with classic Romero (the guy who made the original Night of the Living Dead) style zombies. This means they have a desire to feed on flesh, but not a need. They cannot digest it, it just moves through their body. Their heart, lungs, digestive sytstem, etc are not functioning. They have only basic brain powers directing them to feed, and basic muscle control to accomplish it (which is why they can't run or do complicated athletic things).

The zombie virus greatly slows bacterial action (decomposition and gases). They do decay, but much more slowly than a normal corpse.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Ok, what are we looking at, around 6 Months for them to just Die off?

The Max Brooks book "The Zombie Survival Guide", which is often cited as a reference for this genre of fiction, says something like 5 years in a temperate climate. But, in a tropical, wet place less time, like 2-3. Even less if the zombie is in the water, like in a swamp (or in a well!). However, if the zombie is somewhere where it gets frozen, the virus and brain activity would remain active and the zombie would be active again when it thaws out.

Brooks writes that places where it gets below freezing in the winter offer some safety against zombies since, in the winder months, there is zero zombie activity since they are all frozen.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Dr. Logan in Day of the Dead eastimates that it would take 12 years for a functioning zombie to decay to the point of non-function. Once the brain is deactivated, the corpse begins to decay at its natural rate.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

In Day by Day The Apocalypse Houston is nuked to stop the zombies. The main character reasoned that the radiation merely killed the bacteria eating the zombies not caught in the initial blast. That was the set up for the follow up book.

In Night of the Living Dead radiation activated those zombies, that same radiation may have killed the bacteria present in their digestive systems that would normally overtake their bodies.

Until it is definitively known that it is the virus the doctor at the CDC thinks started it, nothing can be positively speculated. Some zombies with burst stomachs and trailing entrails should be showing up either from bacterial activity or overfeeding. Cost and time constraints are probably keeping gutless walkers from appearing.

Shedding the encumbrance of entrails yet keeping the spine in tact should actually make a walker in an advanced state of decay slightly more nimble, if one is disemboweled early on, the lost weight would make a walker much more dangerous.

Watched the two latest episodes avail here, the second one being the one where Shane was trapped in the school bus and escaped with Rick and the kid.

The thing about the two cops who were zombies (with pistols still holstered) and with no apparent bite marks was interesting. I think that foreshadows something.

And Rick did take their duty belts, each of which had a Glock and two mags on it.
    They also showed them taking fuel, which is good since they do drive around quite a bit.

Glad to see some more action in these last two episodes.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Watched the two latest episodes avail here, the second one being the one where Shane was trapped in the school bus and escaped with Rick and the kid.

The thing about the two cops who were zombies (with pistols still holstered) and with no apparent bite marks was interesting. I think that foreshadows something.

And Rick did take their duty belts, each of which had a Glock and two mags on it.
    They also showed them taking fuel, which is good since they do drive around quite a bit.

Glad to see some more action in these last two episodes.
    The makers of the show heard tons of bashing during the first episodes of season 2 about not enough zombies / action. They have promised to step it up and certainly that episode has delivered. Some trivia that I got off the Talking Dead show. The big zombie that falls on Rick and that Rick shoots his revolver through his head, that actor is really a makeup artist from the show and he's 6'-4" tall. Additionally, he is the walker in the field at the very end that Shane is watching.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I enjoy the show but in every episode I get frustrated by the characters or the script.
    At the CDC there should have been a weapons cache from the soldiers stationed there inside the building. Why do they keep using the same old crappy broke down vehicles when there are better available on the freeway?
    It goes on and on, but it's to balance out the story line. We cant have Shane riding in a fully loaded Stryker laying waste to the zombie hordes. I do think they need to step up the weapons since a headshot is needed that keeps them from going full auto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12