Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circlecycle engine

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Circlecycle engine

I was catching up on my reading and in one of my old science magazines I came across this little gem, the Circlecycle engine. I found it on the internet and hear tis for those of you who have never heard of such a thing. It was completely new to me and oh boy would I like to see one working.

http://circlecycleice.com/page9.php

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Did they ever make one? It looks like one of those things that would never work in the real world.

Still in R&D looking for a manufacturer. They have a working model but nothing on the road.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

theory seems neat, but function, with a "normal" person operating it.... wont survive

got so dizzy watching video I couldn't go further

Here's one I'd like to try http://www.cyclonepower.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greeenie View Post
    theory seems neat, but function, with a "normal" person operating it.... wont survive
    What do you mean normal person? Won't survive what?

Cyclone, Circle it would be nice to see either on the road. Especially now that you need a degree from Cal Tech to work on a damn internal combustion engine anymore. I miss my carburetor I could overhaul on my kithen table in 20 minutes and tune with a screwdriver in 5 minutes.

THUCYDIDES.

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    What do you mean normal person? Won't survive what?

Cyclone, Circle it would be nice to see either on the road. Especially now that you need a degree from Cal Tech to work on a damn internal combustion engine anymore. I miss my carburetor I could overhaul on my kithen table in 20 minutes and tune with a screwdriver in 5 minutes.
    I can see where with a few thousands of wear things would be banging into each other with bad results. Getting those unsupported cylinders to meet perfectly every time at high RPM over years of service is IMO going to be tough to do.

Read the link, they solve that with the rings at the entrance to the cylinder and the piston floats inside the cylinder. Apparently their biggest problem was bearings and they designed their own specifically for that motor. Without a cam shaft or moving valves or a complicated transfer case they are eliminating a lot of wear points. If you read the whole thing they will tell you it not only works but sitting on the table unsupported while it was running they couldn't detect vibrations like you would from a conventional internal combustion engine. The wheels counter balance each other. More complete combustion of the fuel, no catalytic converter needed, cooler running temperatures whats not to love?

THUCYDIDES.

Worlds tiniest engine

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine

I watched this man put this little btitty engine together and all I can say is I tip my hat to him, his patience and his skill.

THUCYDIDES.

If it worked as well as they say it does, it would be being used for something right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronwicp View Post
    If it worked as well as they say it does, it would be being used for something right now.
    Not if everybody is strapped for cash and not lending. Besides these guys are researchers, its a whole nother skill set to build and run a manufacturing plant and another skill set to market the product. If you don't have an intimate in with the our peerless leader like the Solyndra people did getting an government grant is only for people with a long string of credentials behind their name and an obscure study about an endangered meal worm in upper Patagonia.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    More complete combustion of the fuel
    I wonder if they could eliminate the fuel and use opposing magnets.
    No I'm not suggesting perpetual motion.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Yet a guy made a working V12 model in his basement

Really I just don't think the gears (on the pistons) could handle the combustion force, I think it would take some mighty large gears to handle that force.
    Last edited by mriddick; 02-18-2012 at 10:35 PM.

1. Gear wear. Then what?
    2. Timing has to be absolute. One worn gear and then?
    3. Pistons, they use rings? Coming all the way out then back in I wonder.
    4. Lube, hows that work? No oil or what?

And the biggest question, what problem is this engine going to fix?

Well we could go over all that or you could open up the link and read the answers to your questions.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but I have worked on a lot of machines and seen some pretty wierd stuff doing things I never dreamed possible. I was flabbergasted when they first came out with the Vortex air coolers and it took me the longest time to puzzle that one out but it was great for spot cooling our electronic gear that was heat sensitive not located in an area where air conditioning would have been impossible. The use of various sensors and simpe air pressure to move parts on a high speed assembly line. Old hat today but it was like magic the first time I saw it in action and I had to learn to maintain it.

If this engine can do even half of what they say it can do it will find a home in lots of places and the bugs will just have to be ironed out as they develop new uses and find new problems. I bitch about all the junkl they put on my vans engine but I have more power and better gas mileage than I did with my old one and the engine is smaller. This is just another evolution in fossil fueled engines. Maybe it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread or it might flop. It will be interesting to see which way it goes.

THUCYDIDES.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronwicp View Post
    If people really wanted an affordable good quality american made AK there would be one one the market by now....

Look guys, Im not saying it isnt cool. Im not saying it wont work.

But IF I were inventing something that needed an engine of sorts, I would have to ask if this possible (maybe) more efficient fancy motor is in any way better than the tried and true engines of today. And at this point Id have to say no. Does any benefit this engine MAYBE have over a traditional engine outweigh its complexity and apparent (possible) flaws.

As to why no one makes an American AK. Good quality American made probably wouldnt be affordable first of all. And if ENOUGH people wanted one there would be.

We will never know unless somebody takes a chance and puts a few on the road or ties them to some processing machine that needs a stationary engine. Power plants come to mind.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast