Thread: Saiga 12 "Conversions"

Saiga 12 "Conversions"

Hi Folks!

New to the Saiga section.

I see "converted" Saigas for sale that are IZ 109's with modifications that seem to go for about $400 more than the "stock" 109's. What exactly is changed in the converted models? Mostly just add-on's, or are there some major metalwork changes? I'd love a converted version, but I'm pretty handy mechanically and it seems it might be cheaper to get a 109 and do it myself if I knew what was involved. If someone could tell me or steer me to a source for the answer I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The trigger and trigger guard are replaced and moved forward to allow for the pistol grip. The pistol grip and butt stock are added and the compliance parts are installed. That is the minimum convertion. Some have the foregrips installed and a muzzle device.

Thanks for the info, that's what I thought. I found a nice tutorial for the whole process on Saiga.com.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yep, new fcg, buttstock and pistol grip and your labor.

This is my favorite turorial vid (may be the same that you saw on Saiga-12): http://vimeo.com/2787027

This is my S308 that I converted (last of 4 that I've done) - just a basic job:

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yep, new fcg, buttstock and pistol grip and your labor.

This is my favorite turorial vid (may be the same that you saw on Saiga-12): http://vimeo.com/2787027

This is my S308 that I converted (last of 4 that I've done) - just a basic job:

Damn nice Saiga Jac.
    I like the looks of it.
    The SAW grip is always used on my AKs.
    The best feeling (for me) grip I've used.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Thanks! Great source!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

You're welcome. Thanks slam.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Got the gun from Classic Arms and conversion parts from CSS and did a total conversion with new grip, FCG, folding / collapsable stock, muzzell break, whole 9 yards. Conversion went very smoothly and I love the new gun! Had numerous FTE's with low brass, but new recoil spring and gas adjuster fixed that. Fires everything smooth as butter now! Couldn't be happier, and way cheaper than a "converted" buy. Thanks!

Finished up my conversion a few weeks ago on my S-12