Thread: CMP Garands costs..

CMP Garands costs..

Seriously, how much does the CMP pay for their Garands? I know they are a non profit group and I respect what they aim to do but really I highly doubt they get bulk quantities of M1s from Uncle Sugar for as high as 530 bucks a piece.

Also for us who appreciate the other wars the U.S has fought in besides WW2 n Korea, why doesnt the CMP offer Colt M16A2s converted to Semi? Or better yet, M14s?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    why doesnt the CMP offer Colt M16A2s converted to Semi? Or better yet, M14s?
    Because we are stuck with an unconstitutional BATFE agency and a congress that does not respect the second amendment. Once a machinegun always a machinegun means that you can't convert a receiver that once was FA to SA and sell it to the general public. The receiver has to be destroyed.

Aparently the BATFE makes up rules as they go along too so those M16A1 kits that are on the market can't come in with barrels even though the barrels were made here because of the BATFE's policy (interpretation of the law passed by congress)

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Because we are stuck with an unconstitutional BATFE agency and a congress that does not respect the second amendment. Once a machinegun always a machinegun means that you can't convert a receiver that once was FA to SA and sell it to the general public. The receiver has to be destroyed.

Aparently the BATFE makes up rules as they go along too so those M16A1 kits that are on the market can't come in with barrels even though the barrels were made here because of the BATFE's policy (interpretation of the law passed by congress)
    *sigh* If only we could really be as free as we talk like we are.....

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

The CMP can only sell surplus, US military firearms that are given/donated to it by the US government. They are not sold to nor purchased by the CMP.

http://www.thecmp.org/sales.htm

Their is no such thing as an M16 or M14 converted to semiauto for civilian sale. All "machineguns" are restricted items from the day they are made until the day they are destroyed. As far as the M14 goes the military has been rebuilding every one that they can get their hands on to issue in Afghanistan and Iraq so even if they could be given to the CMP they would not be as they are needed.

Lastly the CMP is NOT in the business of selling firearms. Their charter is to promote civilian marksmanship. The sale of surplus rifles and ammo is just the means for them to get the funding to carry out that charter. They sell at the price the market will bear to get the monies they need to operate and not with an eye to giving people a "deal" on a military rifle. It's a business pure and simple.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

From what I was able to find for prices on Garands at the local fun stores in Washington and California, CMP was better by a couple hundred bucks and the rifles had been inspected and graded. That meant alot to me as I was buying two 60+ year old rifles and could explain to my wife how I knew it would be in good condition though I had not seen it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I recall seeing 6-8 M1903A3 rifles and as many Garands in local stores back a few years ago, all obviously purchased form the CMP with prices $200-$300 above what the CMP was selling them for. Lots of FFL purchase them for resale.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Your correct, I wouldnt call $535 for a very beat up, worn out although shootable rifle a deal at all.

Your correct, I wouldnt call $535 for a very beat up, worn out although shootable rifle a deal at all.
    I've never gotta one from the CMP that was "worn out" but every experience is different. I know a brand new one from SA with a cast receiver is over $1,100.00. Not exactly a "deal" either.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Worst part is that you are, and im sure to get ripped for this, paying a large sum purely for historical nostalgia.

Yes, I've seen CMP field grades that while decent shooters, were absolutely gnarly.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Worst part is that you are, and im sure to get ripped for this, paying a large sum purely for historical nostalgia.

Yes, I've seen CMP field grades that while decent shooters, were absolutely gnarly.
    I paid the extra for a Service Grade. The bore, by the bullet method, gauges well less than 3. The stock looks used, but there are no cracks, just dings from use. It is my wife's favorite rifle because of the wood.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

While that may be the case in some instances but in other cases you get a firearm that is well worth the money as this one that linx310 just received.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...om-CMP-came-in....

The simple fact is if people didn't pay what the CMP charges they wouldn't charge what people are paying. No one NEEDS a Garand so it's simple supply and demand. I'll be very interested to see where the price is on the Korean imports that Obama finally gave the green light on. I've seen nothing regarding the condition of these firearms but would be surprised if they are priced below what the CMP is charging.

You really only have three choices, buy CMP, buy retail/used or buy a new manufacture. There used to be a 4th option, buy a stripped receiver and a parts kit and build your own but parts are pretty scarce now so that option isn't really an option any more.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    While that may be the case in some instances but in other cases you get a firearm that is well worth the money as this one that linx310 just received.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...om-CMP-came-in....

The simple fact is if people didn't pay what the CMP charges they wouldn't charge what people are paying. No one NEEDS a Garand so it's simple supply and demand. I'll be very interested to see where the price is on the Korean imports that Obama finally gave the green light on. I've seen nothing regarding the condition of these firearms but would be surprised if they are priced below what the CMP is charging.

You really only have three choices, buy CMP, buy retail/used or buy a new manufacture. There used to be a 4th option, buy a stripped receiver and a parts kit and build your own but parts are pretty scarce now so that option isn't really an option any more.
    Kinda like the prices of Jeep wranglers.. Thats okay, the people willing to pay that much for a headache can have em. I wouldnt mind owning once but itd be only a safe queen, shooting it often is a bitch as I have learned from my cousin who is a Garand fanatic. I dont have a reloading press yet if that tells you why it would be a headache for me

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wink

You want some cheese to go with all that wine?

Unfortunately, you missed out on the heyday of getting the CMP Garands that were in great shape at very good prices. That would have been mostly in the 1990's. There were no "CMP Stores" back then and the condiition of your CMP Garand was certainly luck-of-the-draw. The main difference then was that one in five would be the condition of the best ones you receive from the CMP these days. The other four in five would be in very nice condition, some almost unissued or newly rebuilt.

I've bought over a dozen Garands from the CMP up until about 2002. I kept the best three and eventually sold off the rest. I also bought CMP Model 1903 Springfields and Mossburg M44US training rifles and was never disappointed by any of the firearms I received from them.

But, fact of the matter is, USGI Garands have not been made in over 50+ years. Most, if not all, of the inventory of United States military arsenals have been turned over to the CMP already. Nice M1 Garands from the CMP are going to be fewer and and fewer, it's just the nature of the beast.

- Change it back -