Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The mentallity of the anti-evil rifle Elmer Fudd. Anyone understand it yet?

was_peacemaker

The mentallity of the anti-evil rifle Elmer Fudd. Anyone understand it yet?

I have a few of these in my family. They always ask questions like "Why would you want an el cheapo AK?" "Wouldn't you rather have a nice lever action .30-30" or a Weatherby in .300 Win Mag?" Its like no matter how many times you explain to them the cost effectiveness of something like an AK, SKS, or G3 clone. Its like it goes right over their heads. They don't want to believe that most military arms are more simple, reliable and easier to maintain than their General Custer lever special. Most of these guns they love so much...they can't afford to shoot. Seen the prices on a box of 20 for any of these John Wayne specials?

I am the only person in my entire family who likes military style firearms, if that says anything.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

I agree, most ppl that i work with say "you need a little black rifle, u should trade ur ak in on one" and i dont want one. Its more costly to shoot, less fun, and nowhere near the nostalgia that our "evil" rifles carry. this rifle will always fire, regardless of situation, cant say that about a little black rifle....

My little black rifle has never had one issue in the thousands of rounds Ive put through it. But im not opening that can of worms, I think the OP was meaning the types who would call you nuts for owning any sort of semi auto military firearm.

To them its either bolt action 7mm, thuty thuty, or a 12 guage goose gun. All else is completely unnessecary

o well maybe ur right, i dont have anything against little black rifles, i think they are great guns, just not my style. Things are just like that here too, u gots to got a 22 250, 30 06, 12 gauge with 600" barrel or u aint doin nuthin right sonny

Quote Originally Posted by greeenie View Post
    o well maybe ur right, i dont have anything against little black rifles, i think they are great guns, just not my style. Things are just like that here too, u gots to got a 22 250, 30 06, 12 gauge with 600" barrel or u aint doin nuthin right sonny
    LOL sounds like the diner I frequent.

Roadhouse Groupee

regrettably, there is a large degree of intolerance on both sides of this issue, referring to the Sports Afield types as Fudds is as counter-productive to preserving the 2nd as their disdain for military pattern rifles . . . since everyone is in the same boat it makes sense to row in the same direction

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    My little black rifle has never had one issue in the thousands of rounds Ive put through it. But im not opening that can of worms, I think the OP was meaning the types who would call you nuts for owning any sort of semi auto military firearm.

To them its either bolt action 7mm, thuty thuty, or a 12 guage goose gun. All else is completely unnessecary
    Exactly! They shoot maybe five rounds out their deer gun, and maybe go skeet shooting 3 times a year. Then they look at us funny when we take one of our evil rifles out and blast through 100-200 rounds in a session. I get sick of that "What you need that fer?"..."The 30-30 is plenty of gun"...yeah if your sitting on a gold mine and you enjoy 19th century rates of fire.

Don't get me wrong I think military bolt guns are great for the price.

i would never characterize what i feel as disdain, more i get a good larf out of it. the biggest difference between them is usually generational, and built on a foundation of intolerance and stubbornness. I actually own mostly hunting firearms and love me some shotgun shooting. Personally the 2nd is the most important topic in this country right now, save insurance issues. so im on both sides, but i do love some good larfs at the old fashioned views

An AK is sorta like Vise Grips. It's ugly, cumbersome, doesn't really do anything very well but can be used in multiple ways to do the job "good enough".

It'll tighten a nut or get one off, but probably chew it up a bit in the process and can be used as a hammer in a pinch.

It has it's place in the toolbox, but it's not the right tool for most jobs, although it makes a decent substitute for the right tool when you need the job done.

It'll take down a man or deer, or squirrel for that matter, but it may take several shots to hit the man, take down the deer, and will badly fuck that squirrel up!

Don't get me wrong, they are cool as hell, but a day at the range with one and you aren't going to get tight groups and are likely to throw a hell of a lot of ammo downrange.

At a more "civilized" range you are likely to get some looks of derision, not that I give a damn, but some folks do.

You are likely to toss $6-10 downrange on one mag and chew up the target rather than "group" shots.

The guy in the next stall sighting in his scoped bolt will think you wasteful as he uses half a box of ammo in an hour, half of which were really "just for fun" to show a tight group once it was zeroed.

Another guy may be running a lever action .22 or .45 colt with a slicked action testing out that muscle memory he's been practicing in his basement with snap caps, 8 shots into a pie plate at 30 feet in under 2 seconds.

Someone else is loading up a cap and ball revolver and waiting for after the next cease fire to cap it so he doesn't get stuck with a capped cylinder during a cease fire (that might be me some days)

Another guy is feeding a round at a time of .22 into the bolt action his kid is holding, the same gun his own father taught him on.

A couple stalls down is a young off duty new police recruit at the public range trying to hide his abysmal skills from his coworkers in an effort to master the weapon he hopes he never has to use but vows to become proficient with in case his or some other persons life depends on it.

We shoot for different reasons, so we shoot different guns, some are obviously going to be more common than others.

That said, the AK isn't a great gun to learn on, lousy trigger, lousy sight picture, lousy accuracy. Nor, for the same reasons is it a good gun to hunt with. Nor is it really a common "working gun" of any sort, except in war. By that I mean there are virtually no competitions were anyone would likely show up with an AK. It'd be ridiculous for long range, illegal for CASS, etc.

Sometimes though, they are fun as hell and of course a great gun to have if the SHTF...which face it, isn't really all that likely

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    SHTF...which face it, isn't really all that likely

Unless you live in south central LA, or New Orleans during hurricane season.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Wouldn't you rather have a nice lever action
    That's when I bring out my Uberti 45lc. Pays to have a good spread of styles
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I like a wide assortment of firearms types. From front-loaders to cap and ball revolvers to center fire revolvers, bolts to levers to semi autos of various types.

Having a bias against a type of firearm is foriegn to me. I don't understand the mentality of holding a type of firearm in contempt. Goofy.

Jim Zumbo paid the price but brought those foolish enough to hold this type of thinking into the fold of semi-auto military type rifles for hunting. That whole episode highlighted the error of firearms snobbery.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

What the Fudds need to be reminded of is that the lever action was the military rifle of the late 1800's, and the bolt-actions of the early 1900's, just as the large cap semi/full auto's are today. One hundred years from now, our present-day rifles might be replaced by a more efficient rifle, yet to be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I like a wide assortment of firearms types. From front-loaders to cap and ball revolvers to center fire revolvers, bolts to levers to semi autos of various types.

Having a bias against a type of firearm is foriegn to me. I don't understand the mentality of holding a type of firearm in contempt. Goofy.

Jim Zumbo paid the price but brought those foolish enough to hold this type of thinking into the fold of semi-auto military type rifles for hunting. That whole episode highlighted the error of firearms snobbery.

Firearms are like my children (if I had any). I loved them all. I cherish them all (except the ones that suck). Every type has a particular beauty and function. Some are just beauty queens, others are hard working beasts of burden, but I love them all.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Well you need to keep in mind most Fudds aren't "gun-people".

They're hunters and a gun is just a tool they use. They're not interested in rising up against the govt with guns designed for killing people, they don't collect tools they don't need, they just need something for shooting duckies and bunnies.

They can no more understand why somebody would want an assault rifle instead of a good ol'shotgun, than why someone would want some durn fool little sportscar or a motorcycle instead of a pick-up truck that you can carry stuff in.

Most of us have some sort of emotional attachment or fondness for our collection and our hobby. We are the "gun-culture" of America we live and breath guns. Just like sports car enthusiasts go to rallies we go to shoots. Instead of swap meets we have gunshows. Guns are a part of our lives.

Fudds just want to hunt critters and need a gun to do it.
    Last edited by weevil; 02-20-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    ...They don't want to believe that most military arms are more simple, reliable and easier to maintain than their General Custer lever special.
    I'm pretty sure the Indians at Little Big Horn were using mostly Henrys and 73 Winchesters. The 7th Cav was using trapdoor Springfields. We know how that turned out.

I recently inherited a Marlin 94 in .44 mag. I like it but it's relatively expensive to shoot.

And I sold my AKs. I've felt a little naked ever since.

I love all kinds of small arms. I love 'em all.

But I know what you mean about firearm snobs. My local outdoor range doesn't allow rapid fire or full autos. Oh and the range officer gets to determine what "rapid fire" is. If he claims you were, you are asked to leave with no refund.

And the shooting lane has built in benches. There is no way you could shoot in any other position (standing/prone/sitting/kneeling). You have to sit at a bench (with an L shaped seat) with a very low overhang in front of you. It would be impossible to shoot a rife with a 30rd mag or larger.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I tolerate them, n have no real qualms with them. I do however, when they support AWBs and think you LEGALLY shouldn't own military type weapons. It's then that I get pissed

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    I tolerate them, n have no real qualms with them. I do however, when they support AWBs and think you LEGALLY shouldn't own military type weapons. It's then that I get pissed
    I feel the exact same way, I get very pissed when they are so willing to throw us under the bus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast