Thread: 1895 Nagant revolver vs. 20 pound raccoon

1895 Nagant revolver vs. 20 pound raccoon

I had to shoot a 20 pound raccoon this mourning and to my surprise it took 8 round's to take him out.I used my 1937,"1895" Nagant revolver instead of my AK-47 cause i didn't want the cop's to assume world war 3 has started.The sad thing was all 8 bullets went into the animal 2 in the head,1 into the back and the other 5 didn't even slow it down it basically pissed him off.So i decided that instead of using the revolver as a home defense gun i'm gonna dust off my AK and use that instead.....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The 7.62 Nagant is rather anemic and you were no doubt shooting ball ammo... which does the least amount of damage. Unless you hit the brain, it would just poke through.

If you don't want or just can't afford another gun then you might see if you can source some hollow point ammo for that or get somebody to reload you some. You might be able to carefully drill a hollowpoint in your existing ammo too...

A good 9mm hollow point would have done much better - even a .22 LR with hollow points would have been more effective likely - especially if you had an autoloader and could pump them in quickly. Another good option would be a 38 Special - you can get good Smith & Wesson model 10's for $269.

Coon hunters mostly use old bolt or semi auto (or single shot) .22LR's for coon hunting... but they have dogs on the ground...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 02-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Don't get me wrong i'm a big fan of the Nagant firearm's but if the ammo can't stop a raccoon or an intruder i guess i can put the gun in a case and display it or shoot it for fun.And get my trusty AK out,thanks for the info

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

No, I understand - just that shooting an AK at a racoon is not only overkill but also could be dangerous if there are rocks in the soil... and it's also loud as hell inside a house - will rupture your eardrums (along with anybody else anywhere near the muzzle blast).

Getcha good defensive handgun -will do very well for both home defense and racoon control.

A shotgun would too - and you can get decent pumps for $250.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Racoons are tough sons of bitches. Shot one with a .22 a couple times until it fell off the barn wall. It took off running. One of the dogs got one end, and the other dog got the other end and pulled it apart so the intensines were all over the driveway, and the thing was still hissing and moving. A couple more shots from the .22 ended it. I think shot placement is a must on racoons.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

witnessed one shot with one round of .308 FMJ. It was up a tree, died in the tree and stayed up there, dangling.

Edit.. woops my story is about a porcupine... wonder why i saw a a porcupine in my mind when i read this story...
    Last edited by rci2950; 02-22-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

How long did it take you to reload to put round 8 into it?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

It took me like a couple of minutes,a couple of casings got caught inside of the cylinder,but every time i fired i'd back up and moved to another position.either way that has to be one of the worst way's to die,being shot 8 times especially 2 times in the head......