Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cave on the Corner.

The Cave on the Corner.

About a 100 yards from where I live is a cave. We have known about it ever since we have lived here. It is privately owned, and there is a chain link fence around it. Well, after 15+ years of driving-walking by it. I decided to take a closer look. Here is the entrance.

Another view of the entrance.

Throught the chain-link.

The cave is right off of the road, that goes around our neighborhood. There is a culvert that goes under the street right in front of the cave. The far end of it was covered by thorn bushes. My son has been after me to get down there and clear it up so that he can explore the culvert. It is about 40 ft long.

Son comming out of the culvert.

A good buddy of mine was at one time an expert at cave exploration. He dosen't do it any more. But he does know the two single older ladies that used to be doctors that live together and own the cave. He has permission to go in, and I can go.

I have been told that you need to crawl for a 100 yards plus before you can stand and see some of the rooms.

We have told our children to stay out of there. But as a kid. Sure as shit I would have been in there already!!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

thats really cool. would love to see pictures or video of the inside. be a nice spot to build your secret evil lair.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Duce, are you going in?

There is a cave not far from me, and the entrance looks similar, but is vertical.
    I have been to the entrance but have never entered the cave. A 12-15' ladder is required to reach the bottom.
    A buddy of mine who explores caves went in not long ago and found an small river and large room. After a few trips in, he found Mastodon bones and teeth in a jaw bone. He says the roof looks like it collapsed and the animal fell in at some point afterwards.
    I have some pics of the cave on a CD and will post them ASAP.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Slam, I do plan on going in. One of theese days. We do have several caves that are open to the public. Been in one. You can pay extra for the extended tour. But you need to not worry about your clothes getting dirty for that.

I spelunked for years and have been in some harrowing positions. No more. No way.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight You. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963. Good Conduct Medal. And They Wanted It Back.

So you plan on trespassing on private property that's fenced off to keep people out and make use of someone else's land however you want??

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    So you plan on trespassing on private property that's fenced off to keep people out and make use of someone else's land however you want??
    You make it sound so...dirty! It's only illegal if you get caught.

Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

My response to that argument is "How would you like it if someone climbed over your fence, walked into your living room and had a party"?

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    My response to that argument is "How would you like it someone climbed over your fence, walked into your living room and had a party"?
    I'm messing with you dfaris.

There a lot of old mines near Barstow CA. If you go in those you could end up falling a few hundred feet down a shaft before you knew what happened. A cave could have similar pitfalls.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Did you read everything that I posted? If not. Here is the important part.

"A good buddy of mine was at one time an expert at cave exploration. He dosen't do it any more. But he does know the two single older ladies that used to be doctors that live together and own the cave. He has permission to go in, and I can go."

I am a land owner myself. Our cabin was broken into some years ago, and when they took everything. I mean that they took pretty much everything. I have NO respect for a theif. I don't like people trespassing on my land either. Though I don't mind the neighborhood children sledding on my front yard. Or even camping out in the summer time.

I would not go into the cave without permission. Yes I did walk up to the fence to take the pictures. Just wanted to share.
    Last edited by El Duce; 02-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

My response to that argument is "How would you like it if someone climbed over your fence, walked into your living room and had a party"?
    Seriously! Did you READ his entire post? He has a contact that knows the land owner and that person has the green light from the owners to go in the cave if he wants to.

Paul. do you remember the night that the Doctor's brother wrecked the four wheeler? We were going to explore the cave just up the road from the range. After going down into the small hole I almost didn't make it back out and started to panic. I made it out though with some pushing from the other guy that went in with me and my son. I'd like to go back with the proper gear sometime.

Reading comprehension.......FAIL.

Sorry, sometimes speed read scanning can miss things.

Your Spelunker friend may be able to advice but consider your entry season. If you disturb a bat hibernation cave now you almost guarantee they all die (they cant spare the energy reserves) If you wait till its a bit warmer and its a rattler den........

Pike, thanks for the advice. No hurry to go in.

MS, I never went in there myself. But that was an interesting night for sure.

stay out of it

Mine is a walk in cave and it gives me the willies at times (like when you hear a rock tumbling down) crawling in would probably be a no go for me

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Go for it....

I used to spelunk in my younger, high school age, days. I am too old and gimpy now....chris3

I found the pics of Snail Shell cave between Murfreesboro and Eagleville, TN taken by my fishing buddy.
    There are many more pics, but hopefully these will give you some idea about this cave.

Entrance

Inside There is a small river running inside the cave large enough for a 14' Jon boat.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Damn Slammy, I outta go pay that cave a visit! I love caves and have been in several myself. I wish I owned one on some land..
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast