Thread: What kind of cage, (4 wheeled vehicle) should I look into getting?

What kind of cage, (4 wheeled vehicle) should I look into getting?

I've been motorcycle only for over a year now, but I think it might be time for me to get something with 4 wheels and a top. (For starters, it makes it a whole lot easier to take rifles to the range!)

Whaddya suggest I take a look at? The operative price range is CHEAP!

I'd say a 4 wheel drive truck. Many a biker has found them useful.

Roadhouse Groupee

what do you need it to do?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The older, 1990's, Jeep Cherokees hold up well, are fairly cheap to maintain, have readily available parts and can pull a small boat or motor cycle trailer. I like mine. I paid $3,300 for it. Mine only gets about 17 mpg, but it has 410 gears... Stock gears should get over 20 mpg.

If you don't need to haul cargo, get something reliable that gets like 45mpg, a honda or toyota or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I'd say a 4 wheel drive truck. Many a biker has found them useful.
    i would have to go along with this, though the truck can be a 2wd. the major reason for the truck is to be able to go get the bike when it breaks. been there, seen it, done that!
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    i would have to go along with this, though the truck can be a 2wd. the major reason for the truck is to be able to go get the bike when it breaks. been there, seen it, done that!
    One problem with that... I ride a Honda

My bike is my primary transportation, and would still be after getting a cage. I just need to be able to haul stuff when its raining, and have a second form of transportation for if I need to work on my bike.

I'm thinking 4wd is a plus, especially for 'SHTF' prep. Was sorta thinking of a CUCV, but getting parts for those can be less then straight forward...

Oh yeah, and my tax refund is coming, so I'll have a little funding available. just gotta figure out WHAT I want to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    One problem with that... I ride a Honda
    Honda's break too. my first bike was a '71 Honda CB 450. it took a couple of rides in the back of a truck. of one of them was due to a lay down and not a mechanical issue but still it was a ride.

never say never.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    Honda's break too. my first bike was a '71 Honda CB 450. it took a couple of rides in the back of a truck. of one of them was due to a lay down and not a mechanical issue but still it was a ride.

never say never.
    I know, I know... I don't like to talk about that though!

Old-school 'Yota. Either a Tacoma, 4Runner, or Land Cruiser......all in 4WD. I've got a '95 Taco and a '96 TLC. One has 205K and the other has 197K. Both still run like champs and still pass the emissions test with flying colors.

How about a Mini Cooper or Smart Car? They really compliment the tough biker image.

Haha, seriously though I really like my 4x4 4Runner. If you just need a car and not worried about hauling something then I always had a good experience with Honda Civic's and Accords.

I wouldn't mind a Jeep one day too.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

My 1994 Jeep Cherokee, had rock rail, emu suspention/lift kit, off road shocks, oem skid plates under everything, aftermarket rear bumper, 4.10 gears with air op locker rear end and new paint. It came with a spare parts bag of hoses, belt, all sensors, ignition module, etc. all for $3,300....

They are cheap and hold together well. HDR told me one woman he knows has 600,000 miles on one. Add a motor cycle trailer (cheap) and you would be set.

We picked up a canvas cargo cover for the top (resale shop $25), a HF 5000lbs wench ($130), a HF aluminum receiver cargo carrier ($65), high lift jack ($65).

On the agenda is taller tires & wheels, a custom front bumper with light brackets and reciever hitch for the wench, getting the swing out spare tire bracket mounted, another swing out bracket for two 20 liter gas cans and the high lift jack. I may rebuild the engine & transmition with a mild rise in HP and reliability in mind. I need to replace/recover the seats and I'm removing the carpet in favor of bed liner. I'm kicking around bed liner on the whole exterior.

When finished I'll have less than $5,000 in a pretty nice package that will be hard to stick anywhere.

I was wanting a UTV for the property, but this is far cheaper than a new UTV...

How do their transmissions hold up? I have a rather poor track record with transmissions... (4 broken, only 1 under warranty.)