Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast is everyone running?

Question How fast is everyone running?

My isp sucks.
    They put limits on speed. Gotta pay more to be faster.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

3g Air Card...

Best results I've gotten on a speed test in a while.

I live in a area where the phone company has a monopoly on internet services. They don't let any other IP company in their area. They offer dial up, and DSL, no really high speed stuff.
    My DSL is the lowest priced, and the only disadvantage is streaming videos don't stream well. After having dial up for yrs., I'll take DSL.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

And they just offered to upgrade me at the same price, if the thread is still going after it's upgraded I'll post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post

And they just offered to upgrade me at the same price, if the thread is still going after it's upgraded I'll post the results.
    Crash, if the thread slows or dies, post your results anyway.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

It is good to be the king.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i didnt think the web browser had anything to do with the connection speed, but after the test, theres an ad for google chrome, something about how much faster it is. im using firefox, when i ran the same test in the chrome browser, the results were consistently about 20% lower.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i didnt think the web browser had anything to do with the connection speed, but after the test, theres an ad for google chrome, something about how much faster it is. im using firefox, when i ran the same test in the chrome browser, the results were consistently about 20% lower.
    Some browsers are faster at rendering web pages, running Javascript and whatever else it takes to put the finished content on the screen.

An internet speed test merely tests ping (how long it takes for your computer to say "can you hear me?" and the server to reply "yeah I hear you"), plus upstream and downstream data rate. This is all done in the OS with the TCP/IP stack and has nothing to do with what browser you use.

The speed test data you see on the screen is just a summary of what was found after the test was done. A "faster browser" would not improve your ratings one bit.

Also, those speed tests usually show mega BITS per second transfer rate. A rule of thumb to get mega BYTES per second is to divide by 10 (8 bits per byte plus CRC overhead).

So, a "50 Mb/s" connection equals a "5MByte/s" connection.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Not bad for living out in the sticks.

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

DSL speed

I have AT&T DSL but I'm out on the fringe as it has only been available here for about 2 years. Charter Cable has been here longer but is 4X the price for only 2X the speed ($60/1.5mbps vs. $15/750).
    That being said, it has been very slow the past 3-4 weeks. Tests at both DSLReports.com and Speedtest.net have had ping times ranging from 80-300+, downloads ranging from ~600 kbps DOWN to less than 100kbps!! The uploads have varied (sometimes higher than downloads!!) from 125-350kbps.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I have AT&T DSL but I'm out on the fringe as it has only been available here for about 2 years. Charter Cable has been here longer but is 4X the price for only 2X the speed ($60/1.5mbps vs. $15/750).
    That being said, it has been very slow the past 3-4 weeks. Tests at both DSLReports.com and Speedtest.net have had ping times ranging from 80-300+, downloads ranging from ~600 kbps DOWN to less than 100kbps!! The uploads have varied (sometimes higher than downloads!!) from 125-350kbps.
    IIRC, speed with DSL depends on how many other subscribers are in your area using DSL.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moebro, in this instance I support you if you play the race card with your isp!

US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

I bet results would be better if I lived closer to Missoula. I'll try again when I move up there.

Still, the Mountain West in general has always been slow to adopt faster communications infrastructure.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

This is through a wireless router... I could do this on my direct wired unit and it would probably be faster?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast