Thread: Mosin M44 accuracy issues.

was_peacemaker

Mosin M44 accuracy issues.

Went shooting today and was having issues with my M44 Mosin. I was shooting a bench and was having a hard time getting it to print on paper at 25-50 meters. Seems it was hitting about 5-8 inches low.

I made sure I was firing with the bayonet out...as I hear that they were sighted in this way.

Anyway I was shooting 180 gr. yellow tip Hungarian ammo. Stuff was fairly nasty to clean up to be honest. I went through 27 patches trying to get the barrel clean and that was only after firing 15 rounds!

I have also heard the some of the site posts on these Mosin M44's are a bit to high. Any truth to that? I think next week I am going to get some new prosuction Wolf or Tula to see if that makes a difference.

Did you try at another distance? Seems mine shot low as well at 50m but was in the ball park at 100m and I was able to ding man size steel targets at 400 meters from a bench rest 4 out of 5 times with my M44. I did not extend the bayonet to shoot but was able to drift the front sight a bit to accommodate the tendency to shoot left. I am shooting 147 grain Russian surplus stuff.
    RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

wasnt the heavier 180gn stuff meant to be machine gun ammo?

as was stated, id make sure the sight ladder was set at 100, and try it at 100 before you went any further.

the good thing about your problem, is that if you do have to correct your sights, its easy enough to file small amounts at a time off of the front until your in. had you been shooting high, its much harder to add on to the front post.

Hi gang,
    I shoot in LA County and the range I go to does not allow magnetic-core ammo - much if not most Surplus ammo has a length of thick steel wire dropped into the jacket before filling the rest with lead. The steel core was to reduce weight, if it happened that the steel core had some extra penetration it was not a consideration at the time. Lightening the bullet was the idea.
    The range is worried that a ricochet will send the red hot piece of steel off into the brush and start a fire. E

Yes, there is lead-core (non-magnetic) ammo for machine guns that a Mosin-Nagant rifle or carbine can use safely: Yugoslav MJ-30 at 183gr is the one you'll prolly find. Considered 'Heavy Ball" it works safely in these rifles & carbines but is now very hard to find.The original spec bullet is 147gr by comparison, so the recoil is a bit more... stout (actionj/reaction and all that)

And Yes again, there IS lead filled ammo out there somewhere that was made specifically for aircraft machine guns. THAT ammo has a much higher powder load and is unsafe in a rifle or carbine. I imagine the machine guns have a heftier receiver/barrel. I think 7.62x54r.net has the data/Identification marks for these.

TTFN

PS: Let us know if you find a source of MJ-30 !

I forget what unit of measurement was first used back in the early Mosin days but at some point they started using Meters as a unit of measurement on the rear sight leaf so 100 meters is just a little over 109 Yds. In general the rifles regardless of version were sighted in at 100 meters/109 yds. with the bayo extended. Not having the bayo attached or extended will have an effect on barrel harmonics and cause the bullet to drift by as much a 1 foot at 300 meters so a front sight drift will be required if you don't want to leave the bayo on or extended as is the case with the M44. Be careful as little adjustment goes a long way at 300 meters an adjustment to move the bullet 1 foot is .08" and that not much. Not all mosins shoot the same,some shoot just fine with no bayo extended or attached at all.

A Mosin factory setting is to shoot to point of aim at 100 meters but it will shoot lower as the range decreases especially if you using a non standard weight bullet. Up until 1908 the standard factory load was a 212 gr. RN cupro-nickel lead core bullet,around 1908 the typeL Light ball 147 gr. Spitzer became standard issue and the sights on older rifle had to be upgraded. In the Mid 1930's the HB or heavy ball made it appearance along with the new steel case copper wash ammo as well as the tombac bullet which is your basic steel jacket bullet coated with copper or Zinc. Bullet cores can be either lead or steel depending on the date of mfg. or availability or raw materials at the time. Steel is much cheaper and more plentiful than lead just as the steel cartridge case is as oppose to brass cartridge cases which was used in the 54r up into the 1950's. even after the mid 50's some countries continued to use brass cartridge case for all or speciality 54r ammo.

Current there is no available brass case all copper jacket lead core surplus ammo available unless you run across some of the Yugoslavian M30 ammo I have around 300 rds. of that ammo in my rainy day stash. All other surplus ammo will have a steel jacket bullet with either lead or steel core so it will always show up as magnetic.

Ammo specifications
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

As far as adjusting the sights to hit point of aim with your ammo of choice,if the point of impact is low at 100 meters or 109 yds. you can file down the front sight post to raise the point of impact till your zeroed. However it's only going to work with a given bullet weight. The much easier way is to mod the front sight and make a couple different pin or adjust the one as needed for different bullet weights http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ight/index.asp Windage adjustments are made by drifting the front sight as need but in most case it probably want be necessary depending on the range your shooting at.

Box of my 182 gr. HB Yugo 54r Surplus ammo 1976 vintage made by PPU ie. Prvi Partizan.

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    I forget what unit of measurement was first used back in the early Mosin days ..............)[/IMG]
    Shame on you. The Russian measurement on Mosins is the Arshin.

ARSHIN [ahr-sheen]

a Russian unit of length equal to 28 inches (71 cm).

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Shame on you. The Russian measurement on Mosins is the Arshin.

ARSHIN [ahr-sheen]

a Russian unit of length equal to 28 inches (71 cm).

Thanks.I do tend to forget some things and getting old doesn't help. I did notice that the arshin type sights weren't replace on rifles with the new sights marked in 100's of meters till the Mid 1930 with the adoption of the M91/30. It wouldn't be hard to notice if your rifle has a sight marked in arshins as it only had 5 numbered slots for graduation 4,6,8,10 and in 12 hundreds of arshins which works out to 77.7 yds. per 100 arshins.

I've only seen one such rifle over the years,a friends father picked it up when he was a younger man at the local hardware store from a barrel of surplus rifle for $16. Check out the prices of these surplus rifles form a 1956 gun rag I have.