Thread: Anybody have experience with Husqvarna mowers?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Anybody have experience with Husqvarna mowers?

My cub cadet has bitten the dust and I'd like another cub, but TSC has a demo Husq 54 inch for 1599 and it looks pretty solid. Yes? No?

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    My cub cadet has bitten the dust and I'd like another cub, but TSC has a demo Husq 54 inch for 1599 and it looks pretty solid. Yes? No?
    Most all new mowers that you see at the hardware stores are built by MTD and are built to be cheap and replaceable. If you want a really good mower that will last and will not crap out on you...check out a local Husky or John Deere dealer to get an authentic product...not a mass produced copy.

Roadhouse Groupee

Husky's are made by AYP same as Craftsman differences are Huskys usually have Kohler engines and hydrostat transmissions main weak point is the spindles but if you're not trying to mow rocks and the like not a real negative . . . why not do a major rebuild on the cub?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Most all new mowers that you see at the hardware stores are built by MTD and are built to be cheap and replaceable. If you want a really good mower that will last and will not crap out on you...check out a local Husky or John Deere dealer to get an authentic product...not a mass produced copy.
    Read this and heed.

My Cub Cadet cratered with 73 hours on the Kohler engine. Turns out the DECK was made by MTD and the deck literally fell a part. YES the warranty had expired.

Wart

Roadhouse Groupee

Real Cubs were made by International Harvester

well,im looking fo a self propelled pushmower any suggestions?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Snapper and Yazoo, but you are going to pay for them....

I picked up a used "Forest Gump" 2005 Snapper 36" rear engine rider, the next best thing to a zero turn, for $700.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 02-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    well,im looking fo a self propelled pushmower any suggestions?
    Can a mower be both self-propelled and push ?

Wart

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I mow two acres of my place and the 42 inch cub is a bit small. I would fix the transmission, but our fix it guy said not to put any more money in it, as it has an engine which has had problems. A 50 or 54 inch sounds good. Money is kind of an issue or I would get another tractor. I had to sell my tractor a while back so no bush hog for me.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

My late BIL had a big Husky with the snowplow set up. He moved five acres and plowed a 200' driveway for several years before he passed away and never had problem one with that mower.

One of my other BILs has a Cub Cadet, also with the snow plow feature and also hasn't had any issues but he only mows about a 1/2 acre lot but does plow his drive and some of his elderly neighbors. I think his is about 3 years old and no problems either.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 02-29-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I mow two acres of my place and the 42 inch cub is a bit small. I would fix the transmission, but our fix it guy said not to put any more money in it, as it has an engine which has had problems. A 50 or 54 inch sounds good. Money is kind of an issue or I would get another tractor. I had to sell my tractor a while back so no bush hog for me.
    I have the Kohler engine with 73 hours on it.

Wart

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

If you shop hard you can pick up a used compact tractor & bush hog or finish mower for what you will pay for a commercial grade mower in the size range you're talking.

If you want a zero turn, the Exmark and Skag are IMO the best. My running buddy has a 72" Skag and what took him two days with a 54" lawn tractor he does now in 2 to 3 hours. But, he has $8,000 in the Skag...

Roadhouse Groupee

For those that have more money than time

http://www.dixiechopper.com/

the diesel model will do almost 7 acres an hour

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    For those that have more money than time

http://www.dixiechopper.com/

the diesel model will do almost 7 acres an hour
    I can't stand dixiechoppersw. I have 3 buddies that own there own lawn buisnesses. They use Scag's or Exmarks.

I found a 2007 52" toro zero turn(basically an exmark. I think they are even made in the same factory) for $3000 with 42 hours on it. This was one of the best purchases I ever made. The lawn looks so much better when cut with the zero turn that with the lawn tractor. I mow 3.5 acres. It cut my cutting time down from 4 hours to about and hour and 45 minutes.