Thread: What is up with up?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

What is up with up?

During my last sleep waling episode I had made my way up to the roof where I eventually woke up. At breakfast ma brought up the subject of my nocturnal exercise again. I tried to speak up to defend myself but Father told me to hush up because ma had her dander up. After my breakfast pancakes my belly acted up so I drank some 7-up which soothed the sour feeling and stopped me from throwing up. The prices on berries were up so ma had used some bargain fruit whose time was up before she had a chance to use them up. I thought the subject of what we buy for food should be up for discussion but Ma said it was up to her to make those decisions and if I didn’t like it I could write up a complaint or up her food allowance.

I called up my girlfriend and she told me to cheer up. The very sound of her voice made the room brighten up. She told me to polish up my silver tongue, warm up some apple pie and serve it up to ma. Then I should clean up the breakfast dishes and lockup the house for the day. While dad fixes up her car I should take her up on her offer to take her uptown to her favorite Japanese Tea House. They will serve up a hearty and wonderful tea and catch me up on the traditional tea ceremony in the upstairs chashitsu.

On the way home some door bangers tried to stir up some trouble but I couldn’t take them up on their offer for a bit of mix up because they had marmalade up on their chins and bottles of port in their jackets which were not buttoned up. They were totally messed up. The last I seen of them they were queued up in a two man line at the bus stop. I hope they could think up a good excuse for the homeless man when he woke up and found them up on the bench with him. He looked terribly upset.

At home I was met with a real muckup. The drain had plugged up and spilled over onto the carpet. Now I had to open up the drain, take up the ruined carpet and clean up the mess which would keep me up all night and late for work. I had to do it up myself because Pa had taken ma upstate for their upcoming anniversary. If he would have held up the trip Ma would have knocked him up alongside his head. The last time she hit him with an uppercut he lost his uppers. Took up to 3 weeks to find them and get them fixed up. I hoped I could keep my chin up when the boss got his dander up because he will think my reason is made up.

I am supposed to open up the store in the morning, put up the displays, and close up at night. I do believe I may be up the creek without a paddle or at least up to my neck in recriminations the rest of the day.

Would you believe this little two letter word has over thirty definitions. I tried to use up as many of them as I could composing this but I'm not sure I was up to the task. Can anybody tell me if I missed any.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

UP yours!
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Old Grump I think thats fucked up, and if you don't up and add more uses of the word up, you are going to be up shit creek without a paddle.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Thumbs up

I see you have a lot of free time on your hands.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

you forgot to highlite an up in there at 'serve it up'

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    you forgot to highlite an up in there at 'serve it up'
    I counted at least 6 missed.

called up my girlfriend

warm up some apple

it up to ma

drain had plugged up

do it up myself

held up the trip

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

It must be snowing again...

in WI and Grump is suffering from cabin fever. Maybe you need to move to the UP...............chris3

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Can anybody tell me if I missed any.
    3 in the 2nd paragraph
    4 in the 4th paragraph

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    I counted at least 6 missed.
    opened up the drain

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    opened up the drain
    Good eye!

I skipped past that twice

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    in WI and Grump is suffering from cabin fever. Maybe you need to move to the UP...............chris3
    Either that or the weather hasn't warmed up enough for him to get up and start his garden up.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

shut up.

18 days to spring and it is snowing. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired, I needs me some sunshine with some warm in it and dirt in my fingers that ain't froze. I have CABIN FEVER and I want to shoot something. I want to go outside with no clothes on and not get pneumonia or frost bit. Yeah, I admit it I am bored and not fit company for man nor beast at the moment.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    18 days to spring and it is snowing. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired, I needs me some sunshine with some warm in it and dirt in my fingers that ain't froze. I have CABIN FEVER and I want to shoot something. I want to go outside with no clothes on and not get pneumonia or frost bit. Yeah, I admit it I am bored and not fit company for man nor beast at the moment.
    It is 78 degrees and sunny out right now. As soon as I finish lunch, I am going to pack a few pistols and ride my motorcycle to the range. When I am done, I will shake up a martini, light up a good cigar and sit out on the back porch............chris3

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    It is 78 degrees and sunny out right now. As soon as I finish lunch, I am going to pack a few pistols and ride my motorcycle to the range. When I am done, I will shake up a martini, light up a good cigar and sit out on the back porch............chris3
    I really hate you right now, this is how I went out to get the mail this morning.

THUCYDIDES.

I really hate you right now, this is how I went out to get the mail this morning.
    Careful, bluedog is liable to mount you...

Update......it is 82 degrees out right now................Are you the guy in the latest Travelocity TV ad...............chris3

I'm the guy whose shoulders he was standing on.

THUCYDIDES.