Thread: Optic on my Ak?

Optic on my Ak?

I Have a Yugo Ak that I have installed a quad rail on and I bought a cheaper copy of a holographic site.
    Needless to say its a pos and the battery housing sleeve came right out of the unit after about 30 rounds.
    But thats not what I need to know about I learned my lesson with that.
    The problem I have is when using my iron sites I can get a good cheek on the stock and line up the sites but with the optic I have to raise my head off the stock to see the crosshairs in the holo site.
    Is this another issue with the cheap site or will any site be this way on my gun?
    I know the Ak isnt a sniper rifle but the irons cover the target completey at 100yds.
    I need a little better than that so any suggestions would be appreiated.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, what you want is the site and irons to co-witness.

You just have to pick the optic that allows for this with your mount situation. Basically, a low low mount.

A red dot or holo sight should do it if you pick the right model. Which one? Depends on your quad rale...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Typically using any optic on most rifles the issue you raised will be experienced. I would think you would have to get used to it or get/make a cheek pad that will raise your head to the level you need. I'm not aware of any after-market stocks with a raise comb for the using scopes/reflex sights on an AK.

I created one for my PSL. With some inginuity you could do something homemade.

Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Ya its just not natural to lift your head up off the stock to aim not to mention unstable as heck. I guess its ok for spray and pray but thats not me.

Probably your best bet would be a micro dot like the Vortex Sparc using the lowest supplied mount. Or any micro dot with this sort of mount: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=421

Any thoughts on the primary arms mico dot sight? Seems like a great price. But Fot the extra $$ is the Vortex better?
    Or maybe a burris?
    To many choices in the $200 range.
    I do like that mount though it seems to get the sight lower.
    At some point I ned to quit putting money into this Ak. I could have bought a Ar by now. (not really but it feels like it)