Thread: WASR 10 welded Muzzle nut: lost cause or can it be fixed?

WASR 10 welded Muzzle nut: lost cause or can it be fixed?

As the title suggests: I am curious if the muzzle nut found on some WASR rifles can be removed, and then the barrel re-threaded for a new muzzle break. I am aware of 922R but can the muzzle nut be removed with out too much damage and a new thread& muzzle break be installed?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, it was done all of the time post ban. IIRC some guys just twisted it and it popped off - others cut the weld first (what I would do). Some had threads underneath, others were big enough to thread with standard LH thread and some were too small and needed the AR threading... again, IIRC
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The way 922(r) is written, some WASRs were imported with removable muzzle devices, so it seems that if you remove the muzzle nut and replace it with a slant brake, you would still be in limits. I would recommend a US made brake just to keep the idiots who believe in trashing the constitution happy.

There is really no way to tell what is under that muzzle nut without cutting the welds and trying to remove it. Remember, the correct AK thread is left hand, so turn it off "the wrong way".

Most of the new WASR 10s I see that are double stack and have welded on muzzle nuts are threaded underneath. They do that to comply with the state bans that are still in effect, like MD, NY, MA, and CA. I would even venture a guess that even the single stacks are threaded under the welded on nuts.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    The WASR's I purchased in NY have the muzzle nut welded on under the front of the sight. I think
    that if you find a weld, you probably have threads. I use a cutoff wheel on a dremel and start my
    cut at the point between the brake and the barrel, go slow and check progress often. Her in NY
    the nut or brake has to be a permanent part of the barrel so if you put a brake on you have to
    reweld the brake to the barrel.
    Good luck
    Just me and my monkey....

Don't get too excited when you cut the weld and try turning it and it won't turn. There is a spring loaded retaining pin at the base of the front sight. Push it down with a small punch or the like. As said above counter clockwise to remove it if it has original style thread.