Thread: Probe: Korans Placed in Trash by Soldiers, Inadvertently Burned by Afghan Workers

Probe: Korans Placed in Trash by Soldiers, Inadvertently Burned by Afghan Workers

The Sky News headline does not tell the full story; it appears several enlisted men were directed to dispose of the Korans found to have been burned, but they were not given clear orders how to get rid of them. The actual burning was apparently begun by Afghans manning the pit. You have to read far down in the linked story to read this. Emphasis mine.

US officials said several of the soldiers, who have not been publicly identified, are likely to face disciplinary proceedings.

They were not told to burn the books, although it’s unclear how they were supposed to dispose of Muslim texts. ‘There were crossed wires,’ said one official familiar with the investigation. ‘There’s no indication this was a deliberate attempt to defile religious materials.’

Afghan workers at the burn pit spotted several Korans in the flames and ’started getting riled up’ over the desecration of holy books, another official said. The workers pulled several charred books from the fire and told other Afghans, igniting widespread outrage.

http://bigpeace.com/driehl/2012/03/0...fghan-workers/
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think obama should go over and talk to the rioters on a personal one on level to tell them how he feels. We could have him flown in on a blackhawk, then lowered down by ladder into one of the protesting crowds.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

I am so sick of Muslims raging and killing over their stupid book! Maybe we should kill a few of them every time they burn a Bible or insult Christianity. All they understand is violence, then lets give them a fight they will never forget! Any of our soldiers go to trial over this, it will be open season on Islam. I'm not the only one fed up with their shit.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Roadhouse Groupee

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    US officials said several of the soldiers, who have not been publicly identified, are likely to face disciplinary proceedings.
    What a bunch of bullshit!

I do find myself torn on this. I mean, on the one hand we're in their land occupying their country, so we shouldn't even be there in the first place.

I understand respecting their customs and traditions, but the fundamentalist Muzzies really do need to lighten up and get over their complex over a FUCKING BOOK, as there are millions of other copies floating around, and it only costs a few cents to print a new one.

If the burning were done on purpose that might be one thing, but to start rioting over an accidental oversight is just stupid. Just like all the faux outrage over those Danish cartoons. People need to get a grip and get over their religious piety. It's the 21st Century. Time to grow up.

If their God is really that Great, He can suffer a little humiliation and sacrilege now and then.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    They were not told to burn the books, although it's unclear how they were supposed to dispose of Muslim texts.
    Seems this is the problem and according to this burning is OK if done with respect as well as burying and shredding:

http://blogs.cornell.edu/mideastlibr...D%D9%80%D9%81/

So tell them how to do it and then have them practice, practice, practice
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe