Thread: 1911 (the movie)

1911 (the movie)

Have any of you guys seen this film yet? Its about the Chinese revolution a century ago (the nationalist one that overthrew the monarchy, not the communist one decades later).

It stars Jackie Chan, but only has a short martial arts combat scene. Most of the rest of the film is dialogue, but there are several fight scenes including some trench warfare action and urban combat using WW1-era weapons.

Without revealing too much of the plot, I love how at one point a mounted machine gun overheats and the commander orders his subordinate to piss on it to cool it down. I bet that happened a lot in real life back then, when water wasn't readily available as a cooling agent. Soldiers had to improvise.

Anyway, its out on DVD right now, might be worth your time since there isn't much else interesting out right now. I watched it with my brother and we both enjoyed it. If you do rent it, just be sure to view it on a large screen, as the dialogue is mostly in Mandarin with English sub-titles, some in quite a small font which can be hard to read if you don't have a very big screen.

But it was interesting, to say the least.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway