Thread: This is my thanks to Slamfire for getting me in the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 club

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

This is my thanks to Slamfire for getting me in the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 club

My first 3 shots, the hardest p[art was trying to figure out how to load it and the next hardest part was finding that front sight. Fluorescent paint coming up next.

Brother just had cataract sugery and has been having some problems with his eyes but he managed to get one on target at least. If he had been wearing different glasses it might have helped but his bifocals were more of a hindrance than an aid.

This is literally the first chance I have been able to shoot anything in well over a month. I got this 91/30 from Slamfire and am very satisfied with it's physical appearance but needed to shoot it. The day I got it I had just come back from the optometrist and could barely see it, when I finally got my eyeballs back I realized those kids shooting this rifle must had had very very good eyes because I can barely find the rear sight notch let alone the front post.

To make a long story short my brother and I fired 3 shots each at these targets with the sight at it's lowest setting and we both had a heck of a time but I think we were close enough to at least make somebody duck.

Wind was blowing 14 mph from the left but I don;t blame the holes to the right of the target on that and I won't make an adjustment till I can try it at 100 yards. We stuck up a couple of 2 liter bottles of ice, made a little Kentucky adjustment and both hit in the center but about 2" above our point of aim.

I am however going to need some input on improved iron or glass for this gun because I do intend to have it with me on my deer stand next fall.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up

OG, I could've told you that Slammy would do you right! I hope you gave him a nice rating

Check this out: http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...t-Availibility

I have personal experience with these mounts - they work great and allow you to put a long eye relief scope on your mosin. Most choose a pistol scope. He shows a BSA on the one in the link - which will work just fine if you don't want to pop for a lot of $$$.

It will improve your shooting dramatically

There are other brands out there too - I just don't remember who's making them...

Congrats!!
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-06-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    OG, I could've told you that Slammy would do you right! I hope you gave him a nice rating
    I tried but couldn't get myself into the ratings thread, I could read them but not post one?????

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Here you go: http://www.gunsnet.net/member.php?237-slamfire51

That should take you right there.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I see you're using 200 gr. Wolf. Frankly that's not one of the better choices. Your rifle is set up for 147gr. Lt. Ball which often has a silver tip on the bullet. It's just silver paint. Aimsurplus has Russian corrosive primed lt. ball, it does not have a silver tip. A 440 round spam can is $78. If you order two they are $73 each. They also have some lt. ball new made and noncorrosive primed, it is nearly $8 / 20 round box.

I used what my toy store had on hand, 260 rounds of wolf 200 grain and he gave me 9 rounds from a customer turn in. Weather is going to get nasty on me again for the next few days and it will be Saturday at the earliest that I can get out to try 100 yards but untill I get some sights on that I can use I hold little hope that my shooting will be much better than it was at 25 yards. It would be nice to get windage adjusted but until I get some 147 grain ammo I think I am stuck with the 200 grain stuff.

I haven't tried any on line sources for 7.62x54 yet but its been my experience most of them demand a credit card and I do not do plastic. The few that will take checks is how come I am pretty well stocked up on handgun ammo.

Got Slamfire rated now, I was on that link before but clicking on read not submit. Sometimes I am a bone head and sometimes just dumb, thank God I am good looking.
    Last edited by old Grump; 03-07-2012 at 05:10 AM.

THUCYDIDES.

The heavy stuff should shoot low, not high... my m44 loves 200 grain wolf. Like I can shoot 2", 100 yard groups with it - 3 shots. Putting the rear sight on 600 meters puts me just a tad high at 100 yards - perfect setting for hunting.

I will find out Saturday when I go out and do some 100 meter shooting.

THUCYDIDES.